5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   My 2009 550 Won't Start Again, Grrrrrrrrrr (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/my-2009-550-wont-start-again-grrrrrrrrrr-83972/)

sdg1871 08-22-2009 02:09 PM

As many of you know from my thread last week about this, my car wouldn't start and had to go back to the dealership for repairs because the battery was dead and it would not start.

Well, lo and behold, right after today's Tri-State Meet, it happened again. I was at the Roosevelt Field Mall with member brabusw209amg and it took my three tries before my 6 month old car would start. The first two times, I pushed the starter button and heard nothing but the futile clicking of the starter. The third time it finally turned over. :mad: :fcuk: :badbad: :thumbsdown:

I am bringing my car back to Circle on Monday. I expect to write a funny thread about the loaner car.

A week ago when I last took it into Circle BMW, they told me that the battery had been drained, that they had fully recharged it and it was "fine". They refused to give me a new battery, claiming that there was nothing wrong with the battery and that they could not identify any source of electrical drain. They also claimed that the alternator was fine. Obviously, they were full of crap and I am about ready to threaten then with invoking the lemon law (probably too early legally but I want to let them know that if they do not fix this problem, they will wish that they never met me).

Needless to say, I'm pissed. There is no excuse for a $70,000 6 month old car not to start. Kerry, you will be happy to know that I have ditched the Circle BMW license plate holders for ones fro TT Motorsports.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

swajames 08-22-2009 02:17 PM

Scott, every time I've experienced that very distinct clicking sound (once on my 550, and also with other cars we've owned) it has always been solely due to a battery failure and changing the battery always cured the issue. In your case, if the electrical system otherwise checks out fine, the culprit is almost certainly your battery. It should have been changed by your dealer last time around - let's hope they step up this time...

For my old 550, the dealer initially told me my battery was fine, and sent me on my way. Of course, the symptom (clicking) soon re-appeared, and this time they claim to have ran a "deep test" and found faults. One new battery later, that particular problem never reappeared.

NoName545i 08-22-2009 02:20 PM

Lose battery cable :thumbsup:

craigm1841 08-22-2009 02:23 PM

gotta love BMW.

sdg1871 08-22-2009 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by swajames' post='985579' date='Aug 22 2009, 06:17 PM
Scott, every time I've experienced that very distinct clicking sound (once on my 550, and also with other cars we've owned) it has always been solely due to a battery failure and changing the battery always cured the issue. In your case, if the electrical system otherwise checks out fine, the culprit is almost certainly your battery. It should have been changed by your dealer last time around - let's hope they step up this time...

For my old 550, the dealer initially told me my battery was fine, and sent me on my way. Of course, the symptom (clicking) soon re-appeared, and this time they claim to have ran a "deep test" and found faults. One new battery later, that particular problem never reappeared.

My thoughts exactly. I knew the battery was bad and they refused to change it.

I am going to pen a threatening letter to the service manager and to the GM. They blew off the problem and took the cheap way out. I am going to start talking lemon law. Hopefully that will give them the kick in the arse they seem to need to do their job.

sdg1871 08-22-2009 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='985587' date='Aug 22 2009, 06:23 PM
gotta love BMW.

This is a new experience for me. My 2003 E39 540i Sport was perfect. It never broke down or stranded me.

theXman 08-22-2009 02:40 PM

Damn. Sorry to hear that. The car has been driven for a few hours and should normally charge up the battery. You should have the dealer replace it with a new one. Good luck

craigm1841 08-22-2009 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='985598' date='Aug 22 2009, 06:36 PM
This is a new experience for me. My 2003 E39 540i Sport was perfect. It never broke down or stranded me.

last month i had a post about all the problems i was experiencing. I understand bmws are more tempermental then their japanese competition, maybe it is the price we pay to drive "exciting" cars, but now when my car does something stupid that would infuriate me, like not start, i just say "awe, this car has character". not knowing if i am gonna make it home in my new 60K car because electronics may catch on fire or the fuel pump will stop working, keeps things exciting, but i digress :lol:

1600 08-22-2009 02:41 PM

Scott, that's horrible. When did it die? I hope you got home for this to happen and Victor was happily ensconced in front of a TV set by then. Let it the issue be quickly solved on Monday.

craigm1841 08-22-2009 02:41 PM

...look at it this way scott... at least if you have to be stranded on the side of the road, you look good doing it and people wont think you are broke down because you are poor :lol:

:nono: