E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My 2005 BMW 545 is falling apart. Does BMW care?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Here is a short and sad history of my 2005 BMW 545 (build 12/04). I got the car 03/26/2005 and it ran fine for first 6 months except for the usual transmission slam and other little things. When the car turned 6 month old I had oil service performed and the latest software was uploaded to resolve transmission issues. Next day the car refused to start. After it was jump started, it displayed numerous errors (active steering failure, service engine soon and so on) and the transmission would not shift automatically. The car spent 10 days in the shop and the "throttle-body" has been replaced. I drove it for the next 6 months and by the time the car turned 1 year old it developed noticeable tapping noise and rough idle when cold. This time the car again spent about 10 days at the dealership for valves replacement (TSB issued). 2 months later there came a very strong knocking sound coming from the dash board when cold that would transform to a rattling/knocking noise as the car warmed up. Made a next week service appointment but 3 days later "engine malfunction", "stability assist failure" and "service engine soon" errors messages came up on i-drive monitor screen. Anyway, as of now my car is sitting in the dealer's shop for 19 days with no resolution to the above problems. According to my dealer the noise was related to an engine problem that they have fixed but they are still working on the other problem and the service advisor mention something about 3-rd cylinder mis-firing. Most of the time I was driving low-end Enterpise rentals but last week I was given a BMW 325 which is still no match to my 545. I am wondering if BMW would care about this situation and if NJ lemon law applies to my case. I've been very busy at work lately and did not have much time to deal with the issue but I cannot stand this situation any more. Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Wow, assuming you bought it new, lemon laws have "threshold" to make a vehicle qualify as a "lemon." You won't get a full refund, but you get better than market price and hopefully slip into a a new 550i. You took time to document the above, I'd suggest do a little search and reading on NJ Lemon Law and get rid of your headache. The car will never be the same again.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

Talk to the dealer about buy back before trying to invoke lemon law, if applicable. Maybe you'll get a better deal this way.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='308041' date='Jul 7 2006, 04:54 PM
Talk to the dealer about buy back before trying to invoke lemon law, if applicable. Maybe you'll get a better deal this way.
So, buyback is something to discuss with the dealer not BMW FS? I f so who should I talk to sales manager or servcie manager?
Old 07-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d M-Sport, Carbon Black, Almost all options [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/rodako/T2/photo#5076044138312609266 [/img]

The dealer may not care enough, but BMW marketing headoffice does.

I can see that you write well, so construct a very good letter with enough cloud to get them worried and send it to BMW Marketing division and to the nearest head office. A threat of going public will not hurt 9think of other ways too). At best they may replace your engine or give u a deal to buy back your car.

However ridiculous this sounds, u just have to hit the right nerve in the right person, and things will begin to happen.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA - Built date 09/03, Sport Package, Alpine White III, Grey Interior, Cold Weather Package, PDC, Rear Electric Sunshades, Comfort Seats, Logic 7, Chromed BMW Style 124 18x8, 18x9 Wheels, M-Tech Aero Kit, Rear Trunk Decklid Spoiler, Tinted Windows, Valentine One Modifications: RDSport Quad Exhaust, 20x8.5 and 20x11 HRE 943R, Vorsteiner CF Decklid, Dinan CAI

[quote name='SergeyM' date='Jul 7 2006, 03:43 PM' post='308033']
Here is a short and sad history of my 2005 BMW 545 (build 12/04). I got the car 03/26/2005 and it ran fine for first 6 months except for the usual transmission slam and other little things. When the car turned 6 month old I had oil service performed and the latest software was uploaded to resolve transmission issues. Next day the car refused to start. After it was jump started, it displayed numerous errors (active steering failure, service engine soon and so on) and the transmission would not shift automatically. The car spent 10 days in the shop and the "throttle-body" has been replaced. I drove it for the next 6 months and by the time the car turned 1 year old it developed noticeable tapping noise and rough idle when cold. This time the car again spent about 10 days at the dealership for valves replacement (TSB issued). 2 months later there came a very strong knocking sound coming from the dash board when cold that would transform to a rattling/knocking noise as the car warmed up. Made a next week service appointment but 3 days later "engine malfunction", "stability assist failure" and "service engine soon" errors messages came up on i-drive monitor screen. Anyway, as of now my car is sitting in the dealer's shop for 19 days with no resolution to the above problems. According to my dealer the noise was related to an engine problem that they have fixed but they are still working on the other problem and the service advisor mention something about 3-rd cylinder mis-firing. Most of the time I was driving low-end Enterpise rentals but last week I was given a BMW 325 which is still no match to my 545. I am wondering if BMW would care about this situation and if NJ lemon law applies to my case. I've been very busy at work lately and did not have much time to deal with the issue but I cannot stand this situation any more. Thanks for any advice.
[/quote

Contact BMW NA 1-800-831-1117 ASAP. Involve the Service Manager and Director of Service and request the FSE to come out to look at your car ASAP. He is ultimately the person that can grant the buyback. Document everything and keep all your records. Be firm and give them a timeframe to have everything fix or request a buyback. PM me if you need more suggestions.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

You have been given some very good advise, I would avoid using the lemon law unless left no other options.

BMWNA customer service has been very helpful in helping me resolve issues that I have had with past cars, but the service manager is the only person at the dealer who can make a buyback happen. You have put up with more than enough issues, time to get another car. Good luck
Old 07-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by SergeyM' post='308033' date='Jul 7 2006, 04:43 PM
I am suprised that you waited so long to start talking about the car possibly being a "lemon". You have a lot of patience. As suggested pursue with BMWNA directly alongwith your Service Manager.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

try www.lemonlaw.com
Old 07-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

I agree that working with BMW is better than working against them. The lemon law option should be your last resort. BMW bought back my 04 530 after about 10 shop visits and sold me a new 545 at wholesale. In addition, I made the new one a euro delivery and saved an extra $4000. Ultimately,my 05 545 which stickered for 65,695 was had for about 56,300! Alls wells that ends well. Don't give up.

BTW, my sales associate, the sales manager and regional aftersale marketing manager were all helpful.

Quick Reply: My 2005 BMW 545 is falling apart. Does BMW care?