E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

is my 2004 bmw 530i bad after waranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my waranty will expired on the 26th of this month. is my car bad after the waranty? what are some of things I need to check before I bring it down to the dealership this week to fix my cd player? what about buying the extended waranty? how much would it be? any advice would be very helpful.. many thanks to all!
Old 08-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

VERY IMPORTANT!! Never drive a BMW out of warranty, as it will rip your heart out through your wallet!! Repairs are VERY expensive on BMW's so CYA!!
Old 08-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Yup, your car will die and break and just leave you stranded on 12:01a.m. GMT time. The car knows when you do not have warranty and everything will just fall apart from there on.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Check this thread out for pricing on extended warranty... it was just a few threads down.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=60328
Old 08-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have them check the brakes for sure. Some dealers are nice enough to swap them out if its getting close regardless of what IDrive says.

You car isn't bad after the warranty. As for an after market warranty many suggest it. Some things any good mechanic can fix but the flip side is there is alot things that the dealer needs to service. This is mainly because these cars are so electrical/computer advanced and sensor crazy that the dealer is the only one that can work on it. We all know what the dealerships like to charge. Do a search on extended warranty and some suggestions should come up and some avg. prices. I'd say if the car is something your keeping for another few years and going to be going up and past 100K then I'd strongly lean towards the warranty. If you know in a year your getting rid of it I'd chance if it was me. Your call in the end.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='651170' date='Aug 20 2008, 07:51 PM
Yup, your car will die and break and just leave you stranded on 12:01a.m. GMT time. The car knows when you do not have warranty and everything will just fall apart from there on.
*gasp* Hahahaha
Old 08-20-2008, 08:54 PM
Members

My Ride: Silver 04 530i with Logic 7, Premium/Sport/Cold Weather packages

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='651170' date='Aug 20 2008, 05:51 PM
At 52K miles, my remote door lock/unlock stopped working and the repair was not covered by the extended warranty. A month later, passenger power window motor went bad but luckily dealer replaced it free of charge. And now, three months later the window on the driver side is acting up again ...
Extended warranty is not the same as the original warranty but is recommended even if your car has never had any problems before the original warranty expired like mine.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by di1394' post='651297' date='Aug 20 2008, 09:54 PM
At 52K miles, my remote door lock/unlock stopped working and the repair was not covered by the extended warranty. A month later, passenger power window motor went bad but luckily dealer replaced it free of charge. And now, three months later the window on the driver side is acting up again ...
Extended warranty is not the same as the original warranty but is recommended even if your car has never had any problems before the original warranty expired like mine.

Of course warranty is recommended... I was responding the same way as how the question was asked. Is the car bad right after warranty? Which I doubted... but it sounds like it is for you...

So how much money total did it cost for each repair if you didnt have warranty?

Remote Door lock: $

Power Window motor pass: $

Power Window motor drivers: $

I'm trying to justify the extended warranty for an extra 2 years, mileage I'll never hit. Whatever breaks will it cost me more than $3,350 in repairs between years 4 and 6... and its just years 4-6 if its Year 6 and 1 month I'm out of luck anyways...

so if your car did not have the extended warranty how much would it cost to replace the window motors? Also is there a deductible? I heard you can buy a less expensive warranty with a higher deductible. What I didnt ask was if it was an aftermarket warranty or a BMW warranty.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I just hit 52k miles.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='651173' date='Aug 20 2008, 05:54 PM
I'd have them check the brakes for sure. Some dealers are nice enough to swap them out if its getting close regardless of what IDrive says.

You car isn't bad after the warranty. As for an after market warranty many suggest it. Some things any good mechanic can fix but the flip side is there is alot things that the dealer needs to service. This is mainly because these cars are so electrical/computer advanced and sensor crazy that the dealer is the only one that can work on it. We all know what the dealerships like to charge. Do a search on extended warranty and some suggestions should come up and some avg. prices. I'd say if the car is something your keeping for another few years and going to be going up and past 100K then I'd strongly lean towards the warranty. If you know in a year your getting rid of it I'd chance if it was me. Your call in the end.

On another note... i dont think extended warranty covers software... so i guess you have to see how you treat your car. electronics dont like heat and cold if you live in a hot or humid or cold climate and do not garage the car and is left out in the sun all the time... those electronics will probably have a shorter life span. If you treat the car well and is always garaged and is exposed to minimal extreme temperature / weather your electronics will probably last longer...

I am not against warranty but it is REALLY up to the individual and their situation... if it was like $2K I would get it now. $3.3K... will the car cost me $3.3K between years 4-6... in 2 years time... that is the question.

Quick Reply: is my 2004 bmw 530i bad after waranty?