E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 14 Day Old E60 520 Auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi everyone, been reading this site for a while. In case it helps thought I'd jot down a few first impressions on my brand new UK spec 520i SE Auto. It is 2 weeks old now and has done 1500 miles. In terms of options it has the media pack (sat nav pro, cd changer and bluetooth), and advanced air con. Previously I had an E39 520SE Auto with comms pack (nav pro, teletext/tv), hi-fi speakers, xenons and voice control.

I know many people think the 520 is under-powered but in both this and my previous E39 I've got used to it and know how to get a bit of power when I need it. In the E39 it was to shift the auto over to sport mode. In this E60 as soon as it hit 1000 miles it started to drive differently and seems to get faster/more responsive every day. Anyway, my budget has never allowed for 525's, 530's or better, so I have no comparison. I'm happy with my 520!

I think it is the best car I've ever had. The ride is smooth, handling precise, incredibly quiet in the cabin and looks fantastic. I'm only anthracite cloth but it's dark in colour and blends well with the titanium finish throughout the car (that's the external colour too). Much more "modern" looking that the wood in the E39. I love the big central column and it's somewhere to rest my left arm as I have no gears to change!

Few niggles on first day but only with the dealer who delivered the car but forgot to put the Navigation DVD into the car. The bluetooth got set-up by them quickly - but it was new to them, apparently one of the first where you don't have some long digits to type in. I just bought the cradle for my 6310i (?55) and told the phone to search for other devices. Now everytime I get in the car I use the build-in speaker kit, even when my phone is still in my jacket pocket. I use the cradle only for charging or if in a dodgy signal area and need the help of the shark fin antenna.

I quite like the I-drive now, but it did take a few days to get used to it. The thing that really annoys me is the useless Voice Control button on the steering wheel. It does nothing at all. In all the brochures it said you have the option of "extended" voice control. I don't know about you but to me that meant that basic voice control was included. It seems I was wrong. There is a whole bunch of stuff you need basic voice control for which would be dangerous to do on the move via I-drive. Presumably all the wiring and logic is in the car already - anyone know if it can be activated retrospectively?

There seems to be bags of room inside the cabin (I'm 6'4" and head nowhere near the roof) and the boot seems very spacious. The partial electric seats are a big improvement over the E39. That funny indicator triple turn thingy drove me crazy until I found out how to turn it off in I-drive. Also I think the indicator stalk is mounted too high on the left of the steering wheel, I was forever hitting the cruise-control stalk in error.

Sound quality from the basic speakers is ok unless you have lots of volume or bass. I do wish I'd paid a couple of hundred quid for the hi-fi speakers though, and really miss the PDC I had in the E39 - lessons learnt. You can play CD's in either the 6-cd changer, the single slot, or even the DVD drive! Havn't tried playing a DVD movie yet though. Not sure which software I have but if someone can tell me how to find out I'll let you know.

I havn't found any real benefit in the advanced air con yet. I only ordered it because at the time I was told you had to have it if you wanted Nav Professional - that seems not to be the case anymore. Should have spent that money on the hi-fi and PDC - oh well.

On the whole I'm very proud to drive it. It is fun, fast (!) and oozes quality and craftmanship.

Feel free to ask any questions about this 10/04 build UK car.

Thanks for a great forum.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:40 PM
Senior Members

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for a great write up.

FYI, there's some great info on the board about adding a sub-woofer to complete your standard stereo. Also, PDC can be added to the rear bumper. It's being offered as a dealer accessory rather than a manuf. option (at least in the U.S.).

I'm not familiar with retrofitting the Voice Control. A quick call to your dealer would probably answer your question.

Happy driving!
Old 11-20-2004, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, amacuk !
Old 11-20-2004, 02:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: various
Model Year: F10 2015 M Sport 530d

Think i'd rather have a less power on a good car, than more power on a not so good, if you get what I mean
Old 11-20-2004, 02:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

You're a bit unlucky. I had the same dilemma. Wanted Satnav pro, but didn't want to pay for advanced AC.

I rang BMW and found out that it was somethign to do with one piece being used for both options, and therefore had to be ordered together. They said that this would be fixed for the new 2005 model year, starting production in September.

My car was built in October, so I didn't have to order it. Saved me ?500, so I ordered the full media pack (and got bluetooth "for free")
Old 11-20-2004, 05:09 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, amacuk ! please post some pics of your babe .
Old 11-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Senior Members

WElcome
Old 11-20-2004, 07:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -SOLD- 530i Alpine White. Sport package, comfort seat package, premium sound package, power rear shade, premium package, rear red reflectors, and adaptive headlights with xenon’s

amacuk,

Welcome to the forum.

Central Cali
Old 11-21-2004, 01:57 PM
Senior Members

Welcome, any E60 is a great car.

I only got advanced air con because it looks 100 times beter than the standard switches which look cheap and old.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

Welcome indeed..

Quick Reply: My 14 Day Old E60 520 Auto