E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is My 08 550 Sport Totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 11:23 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i sport pkg 6MT

E60Japanaese covered it very well. The B pillar, floor, A pillar and airbags would reach total loss number if the other side of car had zero deformation. The chance that it escaped some injury to much more hard to discover areas is slight.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:25 AM
Members

Adjuster came by the house yesterday afternoon and said based on the damage to the pillars, rocker and floor plus airbags that it will most likely total. Since the car was in the garage she couldn't see all of the damage underneath, etc.

Based on what she saw she priced the estimate at $6,277.24 but it is all based on using recycled aftermarket parts. I have it being sent to a certified BMW collission center (United BMW outside Atlanta) and once they look at it, we will know for sure the true estimate. Of course it would be double that if they used BMW parts.

They tow it Monday morning so hopefully I should know something by Tuesday. E60Jap you were spot on when talking about the pillars, etc. She said they might be able to fix it but its looking like it will be total based on what she saw as she said there is additional damage that she couldn't see.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:52 AM
Members

Good luck getting the insurance company to pay for new OEM parts.

I had a similar issue with my 2007 car last year. Got hit on the parking lot while it was parked. The person responsible had State Farm (you would think it is a great insurance company). I went through them for repairs. I needed a new trunk lid and the bumper cover was ripped. The State Farm appraiser authorized a used trunk lid (glad it is at least OEM) and a repair of the torn bumper cover. Since I was upset I called their corporate office to complain about used parts and bumper cover. They told me it is the state law (Illinois) that allows them to do these kind of things. They also said that since my car is 2007 it does not deserve new parts only used.

So, there you have it - your car deserves only used parts since it is so old!
Old 10-17-2016, 03:21 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

I know that it can be so frustrating and upsetting when our cars are damaged and it wasn't our fault.

We put so much care and attention to how they look, safety, performance and making sure everything works and that they are clean all the time.

We see other BMW drivers who don't care so much about their cars and wonder what they are doing.

I have been repairing cars as an employee and employer all my life and have only loved a few.

It is upsetting to see your car damaged but I am glad that your wfe was driving a car that had so many airbags, crash technology and colision design that she wasn't hurt.

Im sure it will be difficult to replace as by the pictures it was a beautiful car.

But in the end we can buy another car and it's a great hobby building it to how you like it.
Seaching for new wheels suspension etc.

I hope your car is repaired if that is what you want.
But dont be too upset if it's not.
Buy another and enjoy the chance of setting it up just the way you like it.

Good luck and keep us all up todate with what happens and its repair or your new car.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:28 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 550i
Model Year: 08

Hope you will repair it. It is unfortunate having to go over all the hassle with insurance companies even at no fault.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:13 PM
Members

Just got the call from Geico that is a total loss. The certified BMW Collission Center quoted $20k estimate to fix the costs. He did refer me to another shop that does performance cars that would do it for less but Geico said it wouldn't matter due to the damage they would total the car anyway.

Now I have to fight to get the best value from the car or consider going through the salvage process. Definitely kept it in pristine condition and low mileage only 57k for 2008. My wife's old Honda got totaled after she was rear ended last year so this was our only car so now we out of a car altogether and Geico wants their rental back in like five days. Beyond pissed.

Any tips on fighting for best payout or salvage title would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

That sucks. I was in a similar situation with my E39 when a tree fell on it. My mechanic said he would fix for the repair estimate, but the insurance company said no-go, since it was over book value. My only choices were take the book value or buy the car back from the insurance company, get it fixed and then register as a salvage vehicle.

Since the car was over 10 years old at that point, it really made no sense to fix it and then have it's book value cut in half with the salvage title. In your case, the car is only 8 years old, but your book will be cut drastically if you salvage. I'd take the payout and maybe move to an F10.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:17 PM
New Members

Kylie would probably help you the most as he is an insurance guy.
Usually the insurance company will offer low at first to see if you will accept it.

You would be amazed at the people who simple say yes okay.
Ive had hundreds of cars a year that went through my shop that I bought from the insurance companies that I paid next to nothing and they paid the owners the same.

Your best way to show price is to compare with cars on the market that are as close to the condition of your car as possible.

You cant get a car yard price because the insurance company will not pay dealership costs and warranty,
They only have to pay replacement cost

Do some homework. If you find a similar one in a car yard you can use it but they will reduce the payout figure.

Even the price you bought it for has little refelction of the price you paid.

The reality is that you will come out dissatisfied with the price and will need to put your hand in your pocket if you want the same conditioned car unless you do some good homework when you buy again
Old 10-18-2016, 03:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by E60Japanese
Kylie would probably help you the most as he is an insurance guy.
Usually the insurance company will offer low at first to see if you will accept it.

You would be amazed at the people who simple say yes okay.
Ive had hundreds of cars a year that went through my shop that I bought from the insurance companies that I paid next to nothing and they paid the owners the same.

Your best way to show price is to compare with cars on the market that are as close to the condition of your car as possible.

You cant get a car yard price because the insurance company will not pay dealership costs and warranty,
They only have to pay replacement cost

Do some homework. If you find a similar one in a car yard you can use it but they will reduce the payout figure.

Even the price you bought it for has little refelction of the price you paid.

The reality is that you will come out dissatisfied with the price and will need to put your hand in your pocket if you want the same conditioned car unless you do some good homework when you buy again
Thanks they trying to offer me $18,572 for the car. They did a comparison and had one car for $18k but with 77k miles and doesn't have all the options. My 550 had every single option for that year. HUD, Night Vision, etc. I would expect at least $20-22k for the car maybe a little more. They took off $500 for the curb rash on the wheels.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:28 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by soulcontroller
Thanks they trying to offer me $18,572 for the car. They did a comparison and had one car for $18k but with 77k miles and doesn't have all the options. My 550 had every single option for that year. HUD, Night Vision, etc. I would expect at least $20-22k for the car maybe a little more. They took off $500 for the curb rash on the wheels.

It's there first offer and Im a little shocked that it is so close to what you want.
Maybe insurance companies are better in America at a payout figure?

But just do your homework and show them the facts. It's the best way to get more money.
Show them the options your car has and another car to compare that has the same options if possible and body condition.

They will come up if you have the facts on your side

Quick Reply: Is My 08 550 Sport Totaled?