E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My 06 525i - need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 01:07 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 E60 525i ///Prior Design front and sides looking for M tech rear, Genuine AC Schnitzer spoiler, 19inch M3 CSL rep rims 245/35/19 F 275/35/19 R
Default My 06 525i - need help!

Hey guys,

I'm a recent purchaser of a 2006 e60 with a N52.
I bought it with 81 xxx kms on the clock and I love it.
However just as I've finished my first full tank of gas, I've had a few issues.

the issues are as follows:

- brake fluid needs changing on idrive (havent had the time to go to a mechanic as I live in a place where public transport is scarce)
will there be any consequence with this if i leave it off for a couple of weeks?

-I disengage my hand brake and put it into reverse however the car does not go until I accelerate noticeably harder than a simple prod of the accelerator in which case it almost launches itself backwards (could it be related to the brake fluid as above or sticky brakes?)

- lastly, whenever I get to a destination and put it into park and switch off the engine and try and take the key out, it tells me that "Park must be engaged before key can be taken out of the ignition". To remedy that I have to restart the car, put it into R or N and then back into park to turn it off successfully. It also throws up a transmission error/malfunction message.

Thanks guys in advance I know I'll learn alot about the e60 from all of you.

I've browsed but I'm not sure I've found issues that fit my description as I work 15hours a day and 6 days a week.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:54 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Welcome to the forum!

Brake fluid change doesn't need to be changed urgently. It's recommended brake fluid is changed every 2 years. Some people go longer than that duration.

For now, you can reset the 'brake fluid service reminder' on the iDrive. Please search for instructions.

Brake fluid replacement has nothing to do with handbrake. Sounds like hand brake needs adjustment. Again, please search for instructions for adjusting parking brake. It's not that difficult.

There is a cable that connects the gear-shifter to the brake pedal, that cable may need adjustment/replacement for not being able to remove the key. In some cases, the culprit is the gear shifter itself could be malfunctioning. You will need to either investigate this further by removing the cover on the gear-shift-surround or take the car to a competent independent mechanic.

For the transmission errors, if it's not related to the above gear-shifter problem, you will need to take the car to get the diagnostic codes to identify the cause of the problem.

None of these problems are really complicated, you just need to be methodical and resolve one-by-one...

good luck.