E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My '04 530i is horrible in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 07:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

You are crazy to drive in the snow with sports tires, you are going to get yourself or someone else killed. These tires have almost no traction in cold or snow conditions.

If you can spend enough on a 5 series, spend a little extra and get snow tires. It is about safety. The tires are probably the most important part of your car.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530e G30
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by KenTO' date='Jan 27 2005, 10:15 AM
You are crazy to drive in the snow with sports tires, you are going to get yourself or someone else killed.? These tires have almost no traction in cold or snow conditions.

If you can spend enough on a 5 series, spend a little extra and get snow tires.? It is about safety.? The tires are probably the most important part of your car.
[snapback]83740[/snapback]

May be better you improve your knowledge on that matter:

Superior on snow (9.3/10)

Minimum I should wait for a public apologize for "crazy" attribute.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:30 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 530i, stick, jet black, auburn leather, cold weather, premium, premium sound, sport pckg, rear airbags, fold-down rear seats, heated rear seats, PDC, xenons, adaptive headlights, ACC, nav, HUD, sat radio. Winter tires: 124's + Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 run-flats

Originally Posted by bceverly' date='Jan 21 2005, 02:37 PM
I have a 2004 530i and a driveway with about a 25-30 degree up angle on it.? If there is any snow on the driveway, I have a miserable time getting up it and into my garage.
[snapback]81569[/snapback]
I have an '05 530 (stick + sport package) with Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3's (run-flat snow tires). I too have a very steep driveway. Traction is noticeably better with DSC turned off and DTC still active. I've tried turning off DTC altogether, but all I seem to do is burn rubber once my tires get down to pavement. When climbing a snowy road where traction is a major concern, I keep the engine at high rpm - not for power, but so that when DTC throttles the engine back because of slippage, I've got enough margin not to stall out. A light touch on the accelerator is a must. Best of luck...
Old 01-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ricky' date='Jan 27 2005, 10:43 AM
[quote name='KenTO' date='Jan 27 2005, 10:15 AM']You are crazy to drive in the snow with sports tires, you are going to get yourself or someone else killed.? These tires have almost no traction in cold or snow conditions.

If you can spend enough on a 5 series, spend a little extra and get snow tires.? It is about safety.? The tires are probably the most important part of your car.

Minimum I should wait for a public apologize for "crazy" attribute.
[snapback]83748[/snapback]
[/quote]

The tires supplied with the sports package on the 545 are in fact completely worthless in the snow. Check with the manufacturer if you don't believe me.

They are summer tires and SHOULD NOT be used in cold winter conditions. The problem is the compound of these tires is formulated to be quite soft in the hotter temperatures of summer driving, and results in relatively good handling. However, when the temperature drops below 40 degrees F or so, the compound does not soften up, and the grip of the tires is reduced significantly.

IMO, you are in fact 'crazy' if you don't replace your summer tires if you live in a winter climate. Sure, you CAN drive these tires in the snow, but it's just a matter of time before you get into serious trouble.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:53 PM
Contributors

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>[SIZE=1][SIZE=1][color=blue][COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue]
Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Jan 27 2005, 01:21 PM
[quote name='ricky' date='Jan 27 2005, 10:43 AM'][quote name='KenTO' date='Jan 27 2005, 10:15 AM']You are crazy to drive in the snow with sports tires, you are going to get yourself or someone else killed.? These tires have almost no traction in cold or snow conditions.

[color=red]Minimum I should wait for a public apologize for "crazy" attribute. </span>
[snapback]83748[/snapback]
[/quote]

The tires supplied with the sports package on the 545 are in fact completely worthless in the snow. Check with the manufacturer if you don't believe me.

They are summer tires and SHOULD NOT be used in cold winter conditions. The problem is the compound of these tires is formulated to be quite soft in the hotter temperatures of summer driving, and results in relatively good handling. However, when the temperature drops below 40 degrees F or so, the compound does not soften up, and the grip of the tires is reduced significantly.

IMO, you are in fact 'crazy' if you don't replace your summer tires if you live in a winter climate. Sure, you CAN drive these tires in the snow, but it's just a matter of time before you get into serious trouble.
[snapback]83801[/snapback]
[/quote]

Tirerack review:
Dunlop SP Winter (Winter not summer) Sport M3 and SP Winter Sport M3 DSST (Dunlop Self-Supporting Technology run-flat tires) are Performance Winter tires that were developed to blend dry road performance with snow traction.
Both versions of the Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 winter radials meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the snowflake-on-the-mountain-symbol.

In all reviews USA (tirerack) and Europe these models are considered the best winter tires both with Continental in Germany and Pirelli .

Dunlop site highly reccomends for snow and ice:
Winter m3
It's sufficient a click.

Dunlop said: Premium performance in snow and ice

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Who is crazy ?

I put my original run flat bridgestone in garage waiting spring.
Buying two new rear rims to fit new winter tires</span>
Old 01-27-2005, 01:16 PM
Contributors

Another tirerack "independent review":

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>May be are all CRAZY:</span>

Vehicle: 2001 BMW 540i 6-Speed ,Dunlop Winter Sport M3
Driving Style: Spirited
Miles driven on tires: 4,000 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 9.33 out of 10
Review Submitted: 2005-01-24

Ive had these winter tires on my car for about 2 months now, and with the recent winter storms weve had in Central Ohio, I can say Im very impressed. My BMW is my first rear wheel drive car in over 10 years (I had a Subaru WRX before this that was awesome in the winter)so I wanted to get snow tires for reassurance. The M3s came highly recommended and I would concur with their glowing recommendation. These tires have gotten me through heavy snow, slush, sleet, and ice. Great tire in the dry too, for a winter tire. And after 4,000 miles, they dont even look warn. Combined with my VSC and the six speed, Ive gotten through it all this year. They do get a little squirrelly when turning in heavy snow/slush, but merely let off the throttle until they bite and youre back on your way. Thanks again Tire Rack for making the buying experience so enjoyable!!!
Old 01-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

Ricky, my comments were directed to the orginator of the post. What I meant to say was to use the tires that came with the sports package, not winter sports tires.

I use Dunlop M3's myself.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KenTO' date='Jan 27 2005, 10:28 PM
Ricky, my comments were directed to the orginator of the post.? What I meant to say was to use the tires that came with the sports package, not winter sports tires.

I use Dunlop M3's myself.
[snapback]83995[/snapback]
Sorry KenTO.
You didn't quote and I see your comments after my considerations.
My excuses.
Nice tires Winter Sport M3