E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My '04 530i is horrible in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 09:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 530i sport, Titanium Silver

Hi,

I have a 2004 530i and a driveway with about a 25-30 degree up angle on it. If there is any snow on the driveway, I have a miserable time getting up it and into my garage. Had the same problem with my '97 528 as well.

Since I know there are people in snowier climates than me (Indianapolis, IN USA) who drive around just fine in the snow and ice, I'm guessing that my car must just be set up wrong or something for snowy conditions. Do our European friends on this forum do something magical and special? <grin>

For examples, do you run with different tires in the winter than you do in the summer? My dad used to do that with his old 60's Plymouth back when I was a kid but it seems that most Americans don't believe in "snow tires" any more.

Or am I just a crummy driver? <grin>

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might be able to provide!
Old 01-21-2005, 09:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 6-speed Orient Blue/Auburn

I think winter tires would solve your problem!

Have a 530 and occasional problems in the snow, but since I am leasing I don't feel like buying an extra set of tires and wheels.

My friends wife has a 323 and changes the tires every winter and says it drives like a 4 wheel drive.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i 6speed

I have a 530 (non sport) and it is quite good in the snow. It may be because it is a manual. I do not have a problem going up hills or my drive that is inclined.

On the other hand, my old MB 190D was a bear in the winter. I could get stuck on a small incline with three wheels on dry pavement and one rear wheel on even a little patch of snow or ice. In more than 2 inches of snow, forget it.

This has been a welcome surprize.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Winter tires

Summer tires become very hard when the temps are low and have almost no grip
Old 01-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Do a seach on snow tires here. You'll find that plenty of information is out there...
Old 01-21-2005, 04:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

bceverly, most of the people on this board would say get winter wheels, and depending on where you live in Indy (I'm from Indy and moving back soon!) I would have to agree. First of all, if you have the sports package, you have the run-flat tires, which are harder even in warm weather, and are definitely not good in the snow. I had a 318i in the winter in Indy with all season wheels, and I didn't have a problem, but if you had the same problem with your 97 and you are in a part of indy that doesn't see much traffic or salt trucks, I would just get winter wheels. When I get back, I plan to get the sports pack and then for the '05 winter, I will put on winter wheels. Did you get your car from Dreyer? What kind of deal did they give you? Who did you work with? My old salesman passed away, so now I am working with a new guy, but he seems like he's OK.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:29 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by bceverly' date='Jan 22 2005, 12:30 AM
Hi,

I have a 2004 530i and a driveway with about a 25-30 degree up angle on it. If there is any snow on the driveway, I have a miserable time getting up it and into my garage. Had the same problem with my '97 528 as well.

Since I know there are people in snowier climates than me (Indianapolis, IN USA) who drive around just fine in the snow and ice, I'm guessing that my car must just be set up wrong or something for snowy conditions. Do our European friends on this forum do something magical and special? <grin>

For examples, do you run with different tires in the winter than you do in the summer? My dad used to do that with his old 60's Plymouth back when I was a kid but it seems that most Americans don't believe in "snow tires" any more.

Or am I just a crummy driver? <grin>

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might be able to provide!
[snapback]81671[/snapback]
Are you kidding me? Driving with summer tires in snow?!?!! I have a pair of BWM Style 116 17" with Dunlop RFT snow tires as winter tires. They were pretty expensive, but I don't want to get killed, or kill anyone... Were I come from it's law to have winter tires when it's snow, that's pretty stupid also, this year it hasn't been snowing at all... But I think it's common sense to have winter tires when it's snow, or leave the car at home...
Old 01-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Senior Members

Here is a link to the previos tread about it

Here is my solution: E60 in the garage and my wife's GX470 for the snow-driving
Old 01-26-2005, 12:31 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 530i sport, Titanium Silver

Aaron,

Got the car from Dreyer and am working with a salesperson named Robert Norton. He's outstanding to work with. And yes, I do have the sport package (i.e. run-flats + more torque + cold = aaiiiiieeeeeeee [that's the sound I make backing down my driveway and sliding sideways towards the mailbox]).

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='Jan 21 2005, 08:22 PM
bceverly, most of the people on this board would say get winter wheels, and depending on where you live in Indy (I'm from Indy and moving back soon!) I would have to agree.? First of all, if you have the sports package, you have the run-flat tires, which are harder even in warm weather, and are definitely not good in the snow.? I had a 318i in the winter in Indy with all season wheels, and I didn't have a problem, but if you had the same problem with your 97 and you are in a part of indy that doesn't see much traffic or salt trucks, I would just get winter wheels.? When I get back, I plan to get the sports pack and then for the '05 winter, I will put on winter wheels.? Did you get your car from Dreyer?? What kind of deal did they give you?? Who did you work with?? My old salesman passed away, so now I am working with a new guy, but he seems like he's OK.
[snapback]81713[/snapback]
Old 01-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Members

Snow tires are the way to go. Been driving my 2004 530I (sport pkg) in the snow a lot here in New England these past few days and overall it is handling pretty well.
Check out Tirerack.com - that is where I bought my winter tire package.

Quick Reply: My '04 530i is horrible in the snow