E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My #$%^ Wife left the trunk open

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my wife borrows my car, 2006 525i, to travel 5 hours to get our daughter from camp. They get home, unload the car and then leave the trunk open all night in the driveway. I go out the next morning and notice the trunk open. It has of course rained and the back of the car is wet as hell and the spare tire well has about 3 inches of water in it. I dried everything out, left the car alone all day and everything seemed fine. Until the next day. I went to start the car and it wouldn't start. The steering wheel started to go down to the right position and then stopped and after that nothing would work. I mean nothing. The interior light was off, the key was stuck in the ignition and the dash and the rest of the car was silent. I went in to get my wifes key just to see if anything would work and eventually the door locks started to work and then the car would start. The time had to be reset but other than that everything seemed fine until the same thing happened about 3 hours later at the golf course. After a while the car started working again and everything seems fine again. I am concerned now that the problem has come and gone a couple of times. I read up on battery problems but when the car starts it starts really strong so I don't think it is a battery problem and I can't think of a key problem since the key is only about 4 months old.
Any ideas? I guess I will schedule an appointment with the dealer but I hate taking it in without any idea what is wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 07-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Contributors

keep an eye on your terminals over the next couple of weekse. corrosion will cause the car to not start.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

If memory serves, there's a bunch of electronic hardware (power modules for many of the onboard systems) located under the spare wheel - that's probably what's gotten wet... You may be in luck, but I suspect you may find this will be a recurring problem until you take care of it.

Good luck either way
Old 07-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG

yeah check your battery, batter is located in the trunk!!
Old 07-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Contributors

Time to punish the wife

She better make up for the damage caused lol

And in any case... hassle free mods for the rest of your life!
Old 07-19-2009, 04:45 PM
Contributors

that blows
Old 07-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by swajames' post='946799' date='Jul 19 2009, 08:38 PM
If memory serves, there's a bunch of electronic hardware (power modules for many of the onboard systems) located under the spare wheel - that's probably what's gotten wet... You may be in luck, but I suspect you may find this will be a recurring problem until you take care of it.

Good luck either way
+1 about the heavy electronics at the bottom of the trunk. If your car started, then it's not as bad. There might be residual water somewhere. Let the trunk open to air out on a nice sunny day. GL
Old 07-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Senior Members

Don't be so quick to blame the wife unless she actually admitted it, cause I've heard many stories where owners would come back to their car after driving to work in the morning and all the windows were down. What happen was that their key fob was in their pocket with other items ( phones, changes, etc.) and it triggered the open window remote.
Its highly possible that the open trunk remote was pressed by accident, its happen to me plenty of times
Old 07-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Kzang' post='946859' date='Jul 19 2009, 09:03 PM
Don't be so quick to blame the wife unless she actually admitted it, cause I've heard many stories where owners would come back to their car after driving to work in the morning and all the windows were down. What happen was that their key fob was in their pocket with other items ( phones, changes, etc.) and it triggered the open window remote.
Its highly possible that the open trunk remote was pressed by accident, its happen to me plenty of times
This is true
But it's still her fault anyways
Old 07-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Grokker' post='946789' date='Jul 19 2009, 07:33 PM
So my wife borrows my car, 2006 525i, to travel 5 hours to get our daughter from camp. They get home, unload the car and then leave the trunk open all night in the driveway. I go out the next morning and notice the trunk open. It has of course rained and the back of the car is wet as hell and the spare tire well has about 3 inches of water in it. I dried everything out, left the car alone all day and everything seemed fine. Until the next day. I went to start the car and it wouldn't start. The steering wheel started to go down to the right position and then stopped and after that nothing would work. I mean nothing. The interior light was off, the key was stuck in the ignition and the dash and the rest of the car was silent. I went in to get my wifes key just to see if anything would work and eventually the door locks started to work and then the car would start. The time had to be reset but other than that everything seemed fine until the same thing happened about 3 hours later at the golf course. After a while the car started working again and everything seems fine again. I am concerned now that the problem has come and gone a couple of times. I read up on battery problems but when the car starts it starts really strong so I don't think it is a battery problem and I can't think of a key problem since the key is only about 4 months old.
Any ideas? I guess I will schedule an appointment with the dealer but I hate taking it in without any idea what is wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
I had water get into my trunk while it was closed. They replaced the trunk rubber seal and there is a BMW notice on this problem. They replaced several modules located on the trunk floor and the wiring harness. I don't know if you are stl under warranty but this problem of water seepage is known . Take car to dealer. Don't tell them you left trunk open and just say that electronics are not working right.

Quick Reply: My #$%^ Wife left the trunk open