E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple Lighting Failures

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

On my way to work this morning, I got multiple lighting failure warnings, all from the right rear - back-up lamp, turn signal, and brake.

Does this sound like a fuse? What else might explain all the lights going out at the same time. Does anyone know if all three lights use the same fuse. The fuse diagram in the trunk was not that detailed or helpful. I have already made an appointment to have it checked out, but if it is something simple I will save the time of going in.

TIA

Rob
Old 12-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Not sure about the fuse, but the only thing I can think of is maybe the plug going to that tail light got unplugged or not fully plugged in somehow? Each tail light does use a single plug to connect to the wiring harness so that could be the problem. Other than that I doubt they use the same fuse, I have never seen a car where all the taillights use the same fuse. It's usually one fuse for brake lights (Left and Right) another for turn signals and yet another for backup lights, which would make sense since no one wants to lose all the lights at once.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1073583' date='Dec 14 2009, 05:37 PM
Not sure about the fuse, but the only thing I can think of is maybe the plug going to that tail light got unplugged or not fully plugged in somehow? Each tail light does use a single plug to connect to the wiring harness so that could be the problem. Other than that I doubt they use the same fuse, I have never seen a car where all the taillights use the same fuse. It's usually one fuse for brake lights (Left and Right) another for turn signals and yet another for backup lights, which would make sense since no one wants to lose all the lights at once.
Thanks.
Is the plug accessible from inside the trunk, or do you need to remove the lens from the outside?
Old 12-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by robg' post='1073589' date='Dec 14 2009, 11:41 PM
Thanks.
Is the plug accessible from inside the trunk, or do you need to remove the lens from the outside?
You can't remove the lens, it's a tight package. So you need to get to it from behind .
Old 12-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Contributors

Exactly, remove the carpeted panel behind the light, then the light will be right there. Check the plug first, if that seems to be in order remove the plastic tabs and you can take out all the light bulbs at once (really convenient) and then check the bulbs. The plug plugs into the bracket that holds all the light bulbs, the bracket plugs into the back of the light housing.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1073595' date='Dec 14 2009, 04:47 PM
Exactly, remove the carpeted panel behind the light, then the light will be right there. Check the plug first, if that seems to be in order remove the plastic tabs and you can take out all the light bulbs at once (really convenient) and then check the bulbs. The plug plugs into the bracket that holds all the light bulbs, the bracket plugs into the back of the light housing.

Thanks. Now I know what I am doing tonight.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Probably totally unrelated, but I just found out of a SIB for the E46 for rear light failures due to BMW design flaw that basically overheats the GND wire connection and melts the socket, among other thing. Look for burnt wiring or melted plastic around the connector. Here's the thread from the E46 site.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158765
Old 12-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1073610' date='Dec 14 2009, 05:07 PM
Probably totally unrelated, but I just found out of a SIB for the E46 for rear light failures due to BMW design flaw that basically overheats the GND wire connection and melts the socket, among other thing. Look for burnt wiring or melted plastic around the connector. Here's the thread from the E46 site.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158765
Thanks for the link. It looks like I experienced the same problem they are having in the E46. The brown wire terminal in the right rear lighting cluster wire harness appears to have overheated and melted, as shown in the attached pics. Sorry for the blurry picture (last one showing harness in place). If only there was a thread in the forum about what camera to buy . . . Off to the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails Multiple Lighting Failures-cimg4508.jpg   Multiple Lighting Failures-cimg4509.jpg   Multiple Lighting Failures-cimg4505.jpg  
Old 12-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Contributors

WOW!!!! Sorry to hear about that, good luck at the dealer. Is your car still under warranty?
Old 12-15-2009, 05:15 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by robg' post='1073785' date='Dec 14 2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the link. It looks like I experienced the same problem they are having in the E46. The brown wire terminal in the right rear lighting cluster wire harness appears to have overheated and melted, as shown in the attached pics. Sorry for the blurry picture (last one showing harness in place). If only there was a thread in the forum about what camera to buy . . . Off to the dealer.
You have to be kidding me. What the hell kind of engineers did BMW hire and why won't the government make them recall all these POS cars with an obvious fire hazard? Does anybody know which government agency we can contact to force a recall? From their own SIB, it appears that they need an extra ground wire in the cluster. For the E46 it is SIB 63 03 06, if you're interested in seeing their fix. Shame on BMW for not owning up to their design flaws and for charging customers $400 to fix their mistakes......

Quick Reply: Multiple Lighting Failures