E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MPG Tracking

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Relax. I've seen all these posts like your so "into" your car. I place my confidence in Honda actually. I have owned around 10 bimmers, But they definitely outdo BMW. That is not the point. I own 3 BMW's now and I've been working on them for years they're overrated autos. And i would let you in on a secret, but I don't want everyone asking me questions constantly.

I made a joke. You can use big words if you like but my response will be the same:
"I really don't give a shit about you or anyone else in this forum"

if you can't take a joke that's not my problem.
i will still make fun of people who act like or think that BMW is the Ultimate Driving Machine.
When you're broke for trying to make your car "something it's not" then perhaps you'll become wiser and agree.
But to add to that. who really cares about MPG? You are driving what you're driving! Are you going to give up on it because you want to squeeze that extra MPG out of it and it's not working? You bought a vehicle that is probably not as efficient as others. Deal with it. Are you going to stop driving? no.
Gas will go up to $10 a gallon and guess what? you'll pay for it and consume it all day long. Do you have another way around it?
You wouldn't do too good in a prison or any environment that stands on the same principles.
There, now undo your wedgie and shut up
Dude, you got some serious personal issues. Learn to get along with people, man. You don't have to constantly act like you know everything and get defensive or touchy when you don't like how people respond to your hostility. Achtung Take a chill pill. Pay attention to how you post and you will know what I mean.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

Relax. I've seen all these posts like your so "into" your car. I place my confidence in Honda actually. I have owned around 10 bimmers, But they definitely outdo BMW. That is not the point. I own 3 BMW's now and I've been working on them for years they're overrated autos. And i would let you in on a secret, but I don't want everyone asking me questions constantly.

I made a joke. You can use big words if you like but my response will be the same:

i will still make fun of people who act like or think that BMW is the Ultimate Driving Machine.
When you're broke for trying to make your car "something it's not" then perhaps you'll become wiser and agree.
But to add to that. who really cares about MPG? You are driving what you're driving! Are you going to give up on it because you want to squeeze that extra MPG out of it and it's not working? You bought a vehicle that is probably not as efficient as others. Deal with it. Are you going to stop driving? no.
Gas will go up to $10 a gallon and guess what? you'll pay for it and consume it all day long. Do you have another way around it?
You wouldn't do too good in a prison or any environment that stands on the same principles.
hey! take this stuff to the lounge (we could use the traffic)
Old 02-26-2013, 07:56 AM
Members

I would start with ditching V8...
Old 02-26-2013, 08:47 AM
Members

2010 535i currently at 33K, and I'm averaging 27mpg (mostly highway) and 21-22 mpg (mostly city). With a really heavy foot, the lowest average I've seen was 18.3mpg.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Metallic Green 535i,Dakota Brown leather,NAV,HD Radio, Comfort Access,Sport pkg,Premium Pkg,Cold Weather pkg,Logic7,Park Distance, SAT/Paddles, Ipod adapter, tint, LED Side markers, & halos, heated fronts,CPO'd car, tinted tails, heads, reflectors, backup camera, afe cold air intake, led license plate lights, rear lip spoiler, recoded modules: remote folding of mirrors, deleted accept screen on idrive, auto unlocking of door when ignition turned off, closing windows, & sunroof w/ remote, digital speedo on instrument cluster.

I don't agree with everything that Auchtung says, but he makes a few great points. I didn't buy a BMW to try to squeeze the most mpg's out of it. I bought it for the combination of power, handling, comfort, & looks. Enjoying these attributes negates my concern about fuel economy, or statistics rating engine efficiency.
Some brands use mpg's, or price as a selling point. The selling point for me was the overall driving experience. Once I test drove my car, there was nothing else at that price point that gave me the combination I experienced with my BMW. I love my car, but I have too much to do with work, family, & fun to post spreadsheets on mpg. I appreciate the OP's effort, but I don't even use the trip computer. I'm like Pjinca. I drive 15mi. to work round trip, have fun running errands & trips , & gas up at 3/8 of a tank biweekly.Doesn't matter if its $4 or &5 bucks a tank. That's my data.........
Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Mikey B-mer
I don't agree with everything that Auchtung says, but he makes a few great points. I didn't buy a BMW to try to squeeze the most mpg's out of it. I bought it for the combination of power, handling, comfort, & looks. Enjoying these attributes negates my concern about fuel economy, or statistics rating engine efficiency.
Some brands use mpg's, or price as a selling point. The selling point for me was the overall driving experience. Once I test drove my car, there was nothing else at that price point that gave me the combination I experienced with my BMW. I love my car, but I have too much to do with work, family, & fun to post spreadsheets on mpg. I appreciate the OP's effort, but I don't even use the trip computer. I'm like Pjinca. I drive 15mi. to work round trip, have fun running errands & trips , & gas up at 3/8 of a tank biweekly.Doesn't matter if its $4 or &5 bucks a tank. That's my data.........
I completely agree, if you were looking for bulletproof reliability and excellent fuel economy when you bought your BMW - BOY did you buy the wrong car. I love my car for how it makes me feel and the driving experience. I don't concern myself with MPG too much (unless it's astoundingly good like my previous post) nor do I worry all that much about reliability. I do get paranoid at times when you smell or hear something that might be your car.
It's not like other "luxury marques" don't have issues, when my 530's iDrive died it cost me $1100 to fix, I was told by the guy that serviced it that the equivalent issue in an MB E-class (replacing the NAV) costs $5000 - for that, I'll take BMW all day everyday.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:31 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

I'm suggesting the MPG database as it can indicate (to an extent) what level of performance that your engine is operating at.

I'll track mine over time in the 545i (the I-Drive makes it super simple) and simply record the data that is provides. Hopefully, it can be some measure of performance for those with similar engines/models.

Variations of 20% + in MPG's from the norm can be an indication of poor performance (sludge buildup, poor spark or fuel etc., . Yes, there are variables, and you can account for some of them with the remainder accounted for by a time series of data.

It is peak vs functional performance and MPG's can assist with that assessment. It's one level deeper than my engine idles rough or "I don't feel there's enough power."

Granted, BMW has taken it way too far with their dopey MPG gauge in place of an oil pressure and temp gauges.

But I've been pretty impressed with the MPG's on the 545i vs my Q45 with half the miles. I was at 27.6 MPG's on the highway before hitting town. The Q45 never gets above 23.5 on the highway.

I think BMW's variable valve timing and lift is an engineering marvel for 2005. Yes, variable timing is all about, but variable lift is impressive.

Just an idea guys.

Last edited by paran; 02-26-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by paran
Granted, BMW has taken it way too far with their dopey MPG gauge in place of an oil pressure and temp gauges.
LOL, here I am in total agreement. I would MUCH rather have a temp gauge instead of MPG gauge in my cluster. What were they thinking? I have the iDrive to tell me MPG, range and avg mph, so give me my dang temp gauge back, please.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:55 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

^ +1.
I agree.
For other product manufacturers, typically, there is a group that looks at the product design from 'User Interface' perspective. If there is a group at BMW, I wonder what they were thinking...

If I have to pick single useless feature on my car, MPG gauge on the cluster would be that.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pcy
^ +1.
I agree.
For other product manufacturers, typically, there is a group that looks at the product design from 'User Interface' perspective. If there is a group at BMW, I wonder what they were thinking...

If I have to pick single useless feature on my car, MPG gauge on the cluster would be that.
EXACTLY!!! Besides, what's the point of an MPG gauge on a V8? Almost as useless as start/stop function.

Quick Reply: MPG Tracking