E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MPG Tracking

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 02:25 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport
Default MPG Tracking

Using the I-Drive - Car Data - Trip Setting, (This system is great for tracking/analyzing MPG's)

I think we can assist each other in whether our cars are keeping up with "reality" of other similar models since it accounts for Avg MPH over the trip period.

Reset your I-Drive trip settings to Zero and then begin driving.

My trip:

2005 545i with 100k miles on it. (New plugs, O2 sensors, air filter, oil, at 100k)

Outside Temp: 50 F - No A/C used

Trip MIles: 171

Avg: 35.7 MPH

MPG: 21.9

I'm not sure if we could setup an online spreadsheet that could be filled in so that it would be easy to track MPG's over time.

Over time, and with a lot of data input, we can compare our MPG's vs the data to see if we're inline, or if issues may be lurking within our engine.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

You'd be a great cult leader. Unfortunately we already have a lot of these around and BMW is their master.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I am not that anal about my MPG, but I have found that my previous 530 did exceed the stated MPG numbers, even as it got older. From Los Angeles to Las Vegas on less than half a tank, averaging about 35 mpg while doing 80-85 mph the whole way was VERY impressive. Got to the Monte Carlo and my car said "292 miles to empty" - take THAT Prius!!!!!
Haven't really bothered to track it with my 550, my office is less than 3 miles from my house - all road driving, so my mpg is less than optimal.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:25 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
You'd be a great cult leader. Unfortunately we already have a lot of these around and BMW is their master.
Huh?

I bought a BMW over MB, Porsche, Ford, Jaguar, etc., because I have faith in their engineering. To which car mfg'r do you place yours?

What's your problem? Did I hurt your feelings somehow? I sense hostility from you, so I must have offended you, and for that I apologize.

MPG's can be an indicator of overall engine status, and over time, it can reveal to BMW owners how close to "norm" their car is functioning. That is the intent.

I don't need any aggrandizement from an online community but it appears that you do. Am I stepping on your toes?
Old 02-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by pjinca
I am not that anal about my MPG, but I have found that my previous 530 did exceed the stated MPG numbers, even as it got older. From Los Angeles to Las Vegas on less than half a tank, averaging about 35 mpg while doing 80-85 mph the whole way was VERY impressive. Got to the Monte Carlo and my car said "292 miles to empty" - take THAT Prius!!!!!
Haven't really bothered to track it with my 550, my office is less than 3 miles from my house - all road driving, so my mpg is less than optimal.
Yes. I also find that my car has better MPG than on paper when travelling faster than 75mph and RPM is about 2200 (IIRC). I wonder what highway speeds BMW (or other mfg. for that matter) consider highway.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:48 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
MPG (over a time series of data), is the definitive source for peak engine performance.

"Over time", NOTHING can be more telling than MPG's relative to where your vehicle sits vs exact models.

"Efficiency" is based soley on run time. You start your car, and immediately the data starts to pour in. 3 miles, or 300 miles, the AVG MPH tells the story in determining where your car fits in. Thanks to the I-Drive for making that easy to report.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:00 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

I get about 29+MPG with highway only driving; and I get about 22 to 23 with mixed driving. I have been calculating by tracking the gas consumption and the miles driven and it matches up with what the car shows on iDrive.

Last edited by pcy; 02-25-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:05 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by pcy
I get about 29+MPG with highway only driving; and I get about 22 to 23 with mixed driving.
I can't open the thumbnail.

What are you driving?
Old 02-25-2013, 04:06 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

'06 530i with close to 125K miles.
I attached a snap shot of my mileage tracker... then I removed it.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by paran
Huh?

I bought a BMW over MB, Porsche, Ford, Jaguar, etc., because I have faith in their engineering. To which car mfg'r do you place yours?

What's your problem? Did I hurt your feelings somehow? I sense hostility from you, so I must have offended you, and for that I apologize.

MPG's can be an indicator of overall engine status, and over time, it can reveal to BMW owners how close to "norm" their car is functioning. That is the intent.

I don't need any aggrandizement from an online community but it appears that you do. Am I stepping on your toes?
Relax. I've seen all these posts like your so "into" your car. I place my confidence in Honda actually. I have owned around 10 bimmers, But they definitely outdo BMW. That is not the point. I own 3 BMW's now and I've been working on them for years they're overrated autos. And i would let you in on a secret, but I don't want everyone asking me questions constantly.

I made a joke. You can use big words if you like but my response will be the same:
"I really don't give a shit about you or anyone else in this forum"

if you can't take a joke that's not my problem.
i will still make fun of people who act like or think that BMW is the Ultimate Driving Machine.
When you're broke for trying to make your car "something it's not" then perhaps you'll become wiser and agree.
But to add to that. who really cares about MPG? You are driving what you're driving! Are you going to give up on it because you want to squeeze that extra MPG out of it and it's not working? You bought a vehicle that is probably not as efficient as others. Deal with it. Are you going to stop driving? no.
Gas will go up to $10 a gallon and guess what? you'll pay for it and consume it all day long. Do you have another way around it?
You wouldn't do too good in a prison or any environment that stands on the same principles.
There, now undo your wedgie and shut up

Quick Reply: MPG Tracking