E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MP3 Retrofit Update for pre-03/05 Cars with NAV

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

The below is just pure speculation however I think there's a reason why BMW doesn't want cars built prior to 03/2005 with NAV to be retrofited with MP3 playback. We all know the CCC computer currently being used is the same as the CCC computer used back in January 2004 so the computer can defintely handle it. It won't affect your NAV or anything else the computer uses. The issue seems to be with the actual retrofit programming and the TCU. What one has to do with the other I don't know, but there's some connection apparently.

If a pre-09/05 car has the MP3 retrofit done, MP3 playback WILL work however I believe based on what I've read here and experienced that it's going to fry your TCU. Most of you who have had this done probably aren't even aware your TCU's are dead because there's no error given off by the car nor during the programming the dealer does. You wouldn't have noticed this unless you have Bluetooth enabled via the BTUM or are still using BMW Assist services. As far as I'm aware very few people are using the BTUM and barely anyone has ever used BMW Assist.

Now, if bluetooth and bmw assist don't matter to you then by all means force the dealer to do the retrofit. You'll get your MP3 at the expense of bluetooth/bmw assist unless you get a new TCU.

Again this is just speculation. Any feedback would be welcome, however I don't wish to go into anymore details. So just a word of caution for you guys...
Old 03-24-2006, 04:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530 - Slushbox Auto, Nav and some other goodies..

I have an 12/04 build car and I got my CIP updated to the latest version and I had them turn on MP3. It works fine, so does my bluetooth. I sync up with a RIM blackberry 7720 with no problems... address book and all.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='259629' date='Mar 24 2006, 08:06 PM
The below is just pure speculation however I think there's a reason why BMW doesn't want cars built prior to 09/2005 with NAV to be retrofited with MP3 playback. We all know the CCC computer currently being used is the same as the CCC computer used back in January 2004 so the computer can defintely handle it. It won't affect your NAV or anything else the computer uses. The issue seems to be with the actual retrofit programming and the TCU. What one has to do with the other I don't know, but there's some connection apparently.

If a pre-09/05 car has the MP3 retrofit done, MP3 playback WILL work however I believe based on what I've read here and experienced that it's going to fry your TCU. Most of you who have had this done probably aren't even aware your TCU's are dead because there's no error given off by the car nor during the programming the dealer does. You wouldn't have noticed this unless you have Bluetooth enabled via the BTUM or are still using BMW Assist services. As far as I'm aware very few people are using the BTUM and barely anyone has ever used BMW Assist.

Now, if bluetooth and bmw assist don't matter to you then by all means force the dealer to do the retrofit. You'll get your MP3 at the expense of bluetooth/bmw assist unless you get a new TCU.

Again this is just speculation. Any feedback would be welcome, however I don't wish to go into anymore details. So just a word of caution for you guys...
The SIB actually says for 03/05 thru 09/05 vehicles to be MP3 retrofited. But your point may be valid for the pre-03/05 vehicles. However, I suspect many TCUs are being lost just with the recent CIP updates and not necessarily associated with the MP3 retrofit, although I cannot validate my assertion. There are several issues related to TCUs and special actions levied on the dealers to ensure TCUs are submitted on PuMA cases prior to taking action. I do believe ur right on people driving around with failed TCUs and may not be aware of it. My TCU did fail on upgrade but the new post install instructions do require BMW assist to be tested which my dealer did and found the failed TCU. After the PuMA was submitted they were able to verify its failure and got the replacement the next day. All has been well although I did find a minor issue with NAV that required some action on my part. First I had double entries. After clearing those at least two were off in their final destination location and I was not where I was supposed to be. I redid the two locations and after that I was being plotted correctly. No problems since but I am now using NAV all the time just to keep an eye on it.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Oh yes, I did mean pre-03/05. Sorry bout that!
Old 03-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

i was wondering does anybody have mp3 on business navigation...
thats on pre 03/05 bulit car...every body says they have navi but hardly anyone says if its pro or busi...
Old 03-24-2006, 09:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='259669' date='Mar 24 2006, 07:37 PM
The SIB actually says for 03/05 thru 09/05 vehicles to be MP3 retrofited. But your point may be valid for the pre-03/05 vehicles. However, I suspect many TCUs are being lost just with the recent CIP updates and not necessarily associated with the MP3 retrofit, although I cannot validate my assertion. There are several issues related to TCUs and special actions levied on the dealers to ensure TCUs are submitted on PuMA cases prior to taking action. I do believe ur right on people driving around with failed TCUs and may not be aware of it. My TCU did fail on upgrade but the new post install instructions do require BMW assist to be tested which my dealer did and found the failed TCU. After the PuMA was submitted they were able to verify its failure and got the replacement the next day. All has been well although I did find a minor issue with NAV that required some action on my part. First I had double entries. After clearing those at least two were off in their final destination location and I was not where I was supposed to be. I redid the two locations and after that I was being plotted correctly. No problems since but I am now using NAV all the time just to keep an eye on it.
My TCU died and I have a very strong suspicion it was the result of CIP 19.01. You're right, there's no indication of a problem until you try to use BMW Assist. Took a PuMA case and CIP 20.02 (don't know why 20.01 wasn't good enough) to fix it.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by madoon' post='259699' date='Mar 25 2006, 06:36 AM
i was wondering does anybody have mp3 on business navigation...
thats on pre 03/05 bulit car...every body says they have navi but hardly anyone says if its pro or busi...
With nav bus it works.

Notice that the most users here on the forum are from the USA. In the US there is only nav pro. So, if somebody has nav he has nav pro.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Members

I think pre 03/05 builts have slower processor in the CCC. When I play MP3 song and without Navigation guidance running, the song gets interrupted during freeway junctions. It's like the Nav guidance is always running in the background calculating routes. The Nav takes CPU cycles. The old CCC prior to 03/05 is too slow or less multithreading capable has a little trouble handling both NAV function and MP3 decoding.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by katmai' post='260120' date='Mar 26 2006, 02:05 AM
I think pre 03/05 builts have slower processor in the CCC. When I play MP3 song and without Navigation guidance running, the song gets interrupted during freeway junctions. It's like the Nav guidance is always running in the background calculating routes. The Nav takes CPU cycles. The old CCC prior to 03/05 is too slow or less multithreading capable has a little trouble handling both NAV function and MP3 decoding.
I agree that something like that seemed to be implied in BMWs documentation on the matter. However, I have not been able to determine any part number differences in CCCs yet. Maybe they are not down that to that level in the parts list?

I little more commentary here:

I tested several MP3 CDs I built just for my BMW configuration. I had NAV running (foreground and in background). Tested songs at beginning of CD and at end of CD. But for those tracks that I later determined were bad in the duplication or burning process I could find not any abnormal behaviour in the audio playback of these CDs. Not that there may not be under some condition, but for the time being I am not seeing any conflicts in MP3 playback and any other functions including NAV. I will continue to monitor closely looking for potential issues.