E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hands OFF the auto transmission shift handle while driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first time I was told to keep my hands off the auto tranny handle was by the owner of a sizable repair shop after he did some transmission work on my '97 528i last year. Went for a test drive after the repair job when he saw my hand resting on the shift handle, which was followed by a lecture.I have since heard the same from another shop They say the pressure of your hand while driving interferes with the normal shifting of the gears and can cause premature wear.

Anyway,I have recently started with the same bad habit on my '05 545ia. Most of the time I shift gears in manual, but at times of traffic I put it in automatic drive and continue to keep my hand on the shifter. I find the car is staying in 1st and 2nd gear much to long and finally figured it out. The pressure of my hand on the shifter was the cause. When I keep my hand off the handle when in auto drive, the car shifts normally. Not my imagination. Has occured to often to be a coincidence.
Wonder if some of the transmission problems posted may have something to do with this.
For what it's worth, check it out. Maybe my particular car is just too sensitve. Would like to hear any comments, or if anyone has noticed the same thing.

Netjazz
Old 03-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I have my hand on the shift knob pretty often, but I have not noticed what you mention. I'll see if I can get my car to shift strangely because of hand pressure and will get back to you if I notice anything unusual.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Members

interesting thanks for the heads up.... I too have the same bad habit
Old 03-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Maybe, and that's a real weak maybe, an e39 might have some sensitivity, but I never noticed.

An e60? No way! The ZF auto is totally drive by wire, excluding the Park position which engages a pawl/ratchet. Otherwise, any pressure you apply is totally on an electrical switching system.

So I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='259680' date='Mar 24 2006, 11:40 PM
An e60? No way! The ZF auto is totally drive by wire, excluding the Park position which engages a pawl/ratchet. Otherwise, any pressure you apply is totally on an electrical switching system.

So I wouldn't worry about it.
Absolutely true - one can not do anything wrong with this nice piece of drive by wire technology
- but perhaps the experience is with putting it in M/S and then ofcourse gear changes are done at higher revs since you're in sports mode
Old 03-24-2006, 11:40 PM
Senior Members

Sorry netjazz, but I'm going to have to agree with everyone else that this is simply not true. I would probably buy this theory for a manual, but not an automatic. The only reason I could see this affecting how long you stay in 1st and 2nd gear is if perhaps you are pushing the automatic shifter slightly into neutral. This might slightly disengage the torque converter and thus confuse the cars computer and therefore keep your car in a single gear longer. That is, if you're not in M/S mode like Tommy said, which could also be the case.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:33 AM
Senior Members

I don't think also it can be true....although i'll have to try and see. But i doubt it. And for a manual transmission it it is, in a way, true, since the actual weight of then hand causes pressure on the (i can't remember the exact term) shaft. But for an automatic i don't think that's true since it's more electronic than mechanic.
And another thing...either way it's better to have both hands on the steering wheel, it's safer.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:11 AM
Senior Members

I agree with the rest of the guys - I don't think this is the issue it used to be cause the transmission is totally electronic.

This was a no no in manual cars though and I guess some early autos, where the drive was engaged via a mechanical linkage.

Main problem I have is remembering I haven't got a manual.

I've absent mindedly dropped it into nuetral a couple of times oddly though without looking for the clutch - funny how the mind works
Old 03-25-2006, 04:49 AM
Members

Heiss5--- Sounds like you might have the answer. I notice I do have a tendency to put pressure in a forward motion when resting my hand on the shifter. That might cause a slight disengagement as you pointed out. Anyway I am taking my own advice and keeping my hands off the shifter.
Really like shifting the Step. better than just using auto. most of the time anyway.
Thanks for the response.
You can always count on this forum for some helpfull ideas.

Netjazz
Old 03-25-2006, 04:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I'm with the majority here..... it is a purely electronic shift knob....so I don't think any downward pressure can cause anything.....
maybe if you're pulling front or backwards then there might be a slight switch disconnection....... but man it is not a handle to hold on while experiencing G force while braking it is a gear shift

Quick Reply: Hands OFF the auto transmission shift handle while driving