E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MP3+ProNav Just a definitive Answer please

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 07:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride:
Arrow

I have searched the numerous threads and there's acres of rumour and gossip.

So, would someone who knows please be kind enough to give me a simple reply in laymans language to my question:

I have an April-05 build E61 with ProNav and I want to be able to play MP3s either in the changer or in the dash-slot (or anywhere...)

What do I need to do to make it happen...??

Your assistance will be greatfull received.

Andy
Old 11-01-2005, 07:45 AM
Senior Members

just relax...and wait for a while...there should be an update pretty soon for the mp3 with pro nav. Right now i don't think there is anything u can do.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:47 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530D Reg 18th Sept 2003 (uk launch date) xenons, wood, mirror pack, 17" rims, Hi Fi spkr, Met Black On Order 530D M Sport Auto Silver Grey Visibility & Media Packs Wood & Lumber Support

Just been into my uk dealer to do the paperwork on my new 530d m Sport which hopefully I will get next Tuesday and having asked him for confirmation that the unit will play MP3's (having ordered the car with the media package ) he showed me a document from BMW germany which was a response to a RFI relating to issues with a nav pro e60 not playing MP3's i'm not sure but this document may have been a response to puma from the dealership.

the document states the nature of the fault in that the car in question does not play mp3's and says that this is by design due to stability/performance issues with the CCC unit. it goes on to say all e60's from launch date to Sept05 will behave in this way(presumably this means that either Sept or Oct05 builds onwards will actually work!).
It then goes on to say that the problem with pre sept05 build cars will be resolved by a CIP update due in the uK in Dec05 and does not make any mention of a ccc hardware update.

The document was a 4 sided a4 doument but the relevent info was on the 3rd page.
I can not remember any more detail but this sounds good for all e60 nav pro owners looking for mp3 compatibility
Old 11-01-2005, 09:50 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

The reason why there is so much confusion is that no one knows yet.

The current most reliable information is the following:

For ALL E60 vehicles with Pro Nav built before September 2005, MP3 playback in the single CD slot MAY be enabled by CIP 20.x, which is expected around December.

However, the central computer in Pro Nav cars (CCC) may not be powerful enough to do MP3 decoding and navigation at the same time.

So this means one of several things:

- MP3 playback will be scrapped altogether on pre-September 2005 Pro Nav cars

- They'll find a fix, and release it as planned in a future CIP update (such as 20.x)

- A new CCC will be required to support MP3 playback, but who will pay for it on which vehicles is in question (i.e., BMW, customer, a little of both? Depends on when car was built? Etc.)

In a July 2005 bulletin, BMWNA is saying that all E60s WITH Pro Nav will be able to play MP3s in the single CD slot as of October (Week 40) 2005 production. Some members here will be *just* starting to get Week 40 cars in the next few days. This means we can finally verify whether it is true. Also, some people who have taken delivery of E90 vehicles with CCC have said they can now play MP3s on Pro Nav. So that is good news.

One other point of confusion: BMWNA now claims that September (Week 36) 2005 production cars with Pro Nav can ALSO play MP3s; so since July, they may have pushed it up. A few members have taken delivery of September production vehicles, but no one has yet been able to verify this.

Some people have looked into this, and claim that it can't possibly be new hardware, because the part number for CCC hasn't changed between pre-September and post-September or October. But that might just be because the systems haven't been updated.

In any case, the real answer is that for pre-September 2005 vehicles, no one knows. Before, it looked like it was just going to be a software update, and they did in fact show an E60 with Pro Nav at IAA playing MP3s. But then Siemens VDO found the conflict between MP3 playback during navigation. It is not known if it will be able to be resolved with software only.

Sorry if this answer is too complex, but that's all we know right now. Once people get Week 40 E60s, we'll see if they can play back MP3s. If they can, we at least know it's possible. I'm going to be checking mine as soon as I get it, and I'll also have my dealer check which CIP is installed on the car. If it's 19.01 or 19.02, that means there is something more than a software update that is required, as other people already have 19.01 and 19.02 and still can't play MP3s. It might also be possible that BMWNA's July bulletin is now incorrect in light of the new information, and that even October production E60s might still not be able to play MP3s. The bottom line is that we'll know in a week or so.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Senior Members

See this tread: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=17513 A user that just picked up his new BMW E61 525d, with PRO NAV and MP3!!!!

I want MP3 badly now!!

He confirms that he has MP3 and as you can see at this picture he has:
Attached Thumbnails MP3+ProNav Just a definitive Answer please-mp3.jpg  
Old 11-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 530 xi six speed manual/Silver gray-auburn/18inch-style123wheels/premium sound and package/HUD/PDC/sport/coldpackage/Sirius/M-aero kit/Nav/comfortseats/shades/comfort access tires: 245 40 18 Sottozero Pirelli winters (non runflats) 2004 RX330 Lexus - crystal white - reliable, quiet, and the "beater" car for ski trips, hauling, etc. 1995 E34 540i 6 speed black/truffle interior/alpinemp3/XMradio/M5 alloys (Many tears...sold to a fellow Boston bimmer enthusiast!)

sounds good das-I look forward to your detailed analysis of your new ride as it will most likely apply to my car as well - it is great to know there are many other obsessive bimmer owners out there -