E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MP3 playback

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 11:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is equiped with standard BMW radio (M-ASK) which plays only audio CDs, in order to play back MP3 I was told that I should replace the standard M-ASK with the one that allows MP3 playback. I checked for the part number and found that the only M-ASK that permits MP3 playback and compatible with my car has a BMW professional radio (not standard).

Does any one know if this swap could work properly? is the M-ASK is actually the BMW radio in adifferent name?
Old 10-25-2006, 06:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Wow... let me try...

M-ASK, I forget exactlly, is not the radio... its more of a communications processor... the cars with NAV have the CCC forget the acronym to it... but to answer you question you car should be able to play MP3s maybe you need a SW upgrade and the dealer to enable that option with their programming tool.

All thats needed to play MP3s is Professional Radio, which you have. Older pre March 2005 built cars came with Business Radio.

M-ASK is what they use for Non-NAV cars and CCC is what they use for NAV-Cars...
Old 10-26-2006, 11:31 AM
JMB
Members

Well, the previous answer is not exact...

M-ASK stands for Multi-Audio System Controller (in german), and controls the following systems:
  • audio functions
  • central information display (CID)
  • optional business navigation system (option 606, only arrows, not maps, not available at the US AFAIK)
all these systems are packed in a single box, the standard CD player, and that's why is normally called "the radio"

CCC stands for Car Communication Computer. The CCC controls the following systems:
  • audio functions
  • central information display high version (larger screen) (CID)
  • voice recognition system
  • DVD navigation system Professional (option 609, maps)
all these systems are packed in a single box, the CD and DVD players.

In Europe and other countries (not in the US), the standard radio is a business radio even for post-march 2005 cars, so as mwaly says, playing mp3 is not possible. The only way to play mp3 is swaping the M-ASK system (the "radio") to professional. And yes, it's possible: I did this two weeks ago, and now it works perfectly. Even more, I have now the ipod interface working wich was impossible before.

Hope this helps...
Old 10-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by JMB' post='349110' date='Oct 27 2006, 03:31 AM
Well, the previous answer is not exact...

M-ASK stands for Multi-Audio System Controller (in german), and controls the following systems:
  • audio functions
  • central information display (CID)
  • optional business navigation system (option 606, only arrows, not maps, not available at the US AFAIK)
all these systems are packed in a single box, the standard CD player, and that's why is normally called "the radio"

CCC stands for Car Communication Computer. The CCC controls the following systems:
  • audio functions
  • central information display high version (larger screen) (CID)
  • voice recognition system
  • DVD navigation system Professional (option 609, maps)
all these systems are packed in a single box, the CD and DVD players.

In Europe and other countries (not in the US), the standard radio is a business radio even for post-march 2005 cars, so as mwaly says, playing mp3 is not possible. The only way to play mp3 is swaping the M-ASK system (the "radio") to professional. And yes, it's possible: I did this two weeks ago, and now it works perfectly. Even more, I have now the ipod interface working wich was impossible before.

Hope this helps...
thanks this has help me alot, now I know what to do.