E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MP3 oddities

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I've noticed that on some of my MP3s, the songs end abruptly in the middle of the track, jumping to the next one. It seems to only affect a small percentage of my older, CBR-encoded tracks and not the newer VBR tracks - which is just the opposite of what I would expect.

I'm not opposed to re-encoding, in fact I've been meaning to but this strikes me as a bit odd. Anyone else experiencing this? The CD is not dirty or scratched, but I haven't done any deep checking for burn errors.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

It would also appear that including the track number before the actual song title is redundant. The car's system appends a numeric value - so for my tracks I see something like this:

001 01 Song Title Time

It would be beneficial to change the actual filename for all media to not include the track number, although this might potentially screw up the order of the tracks within the folders. The end result would be:

001 Song Title Time
Old 05-11-2005, 11:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi, premium package, premium sound, steptronic, bi-xenon adaptive lights, PDC, rear sun shade, rear heating, cold weather package.

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='May 11 2005, 01:58 PM
It would also appear that including the track number before the actual song title is redundant.? The car's system appends a numeric value - so for my tracks I see something like this:

001? 01? Song Title? ? Time

It would be beneficial to change the actual filename for all media to not include the track number, although this might potentially screw up the order of the tracks within the folders.? The end result would be:

001? Song Title? ? Time
[snapback]127059[/snapback]
is there any folder jump function ?
Old 05-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by phototalk123' date='May 11 2005, 02:20 PM
[quote name='UUronL' date='May 11 2005, 01:58 PM']It would also appear that including the track number before the actual song title is redundant.? The car's system appends a numeric value - so for my tracks I see something like this:

001? 01? Song Title? ? Time

It would be beneficial to change the actual filename for all media to not include the track number, although this might potentially screw up the order of the tracks within the folders.? The end result would be:

001? Song Title? ? Time
[snapback]127059[/snapback]
is there any folder jump function ?
[snapback]127098[/snapback]
[/quote]

Selecting the CD changes to "MP3" when a CD with MP3s is in. The main level shows all the folders. Decending into one of the folders brings up the track list. Stepping back a level using the "return" selection gets you back to the folder list and permits a change of folder when you select a song in a different folder.

Music plays instantaneously, even when switching from another source to MP3 or from folder to folder. Track-to-track latency is zero, which is good for live concerts or techno DJ CDs. My previous in-dash MP3 unit had several seconds of latency before playing a track.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 BMW 525i - BIRTHDAY- 11/04 - EXTERIOR- Amethyst Gray Metallic. INTERIOR- Beige Dakota Leather w/Dark Poplar Grain Wood. OPTIONS- Automatic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, 6-disc CD changer, Bluetooth using Verizon Raza V3c phone, SIRIUS Satellite Radio. ADD-ON's- 545i Chrome Grill, Euro Red Reflectors, Factory all-weater matts & Factory Coat-Hanger.

This could be a HUGE stupid question, but how do I record mp3 songs in there format? I have mp3 songs and record them but as reg. audio cd's and I get about 20 songs if I'm lucky... If I can record them as mp3's how many songs could I get on 1 cd in there format? Also do they sound any different? Last you can't get the name of the song on MP3 to come up on the screen can you????
Old 05-11-2005, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

You shoul be able to fit at least 120 songs, probably more on 1 CD
Old 05-11-2005, 02:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 BMW 525i - BIRTHDAY- 11/04 - EXTERIOR- Amethyst Gray Metallic. INTERIOR- Beige Dakota Leather w/Dark Poplar Grain Wood. OPTIONS- Automatic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, 6-disc CD changer, Bluetooth using Verizon Raza V3c phone, SIRIUS Satellite Radio. ADD-ON's- 545i Chrome Grill, Euro Red Reflectors, Factory all-weater matts & Factory Coat-Hanger.

OK I just made a mp3 cd (Think I have like 107 songs) now will my 05 non-logic 7, non nav, with cd-changer play mp3's? Also do you see the names of the songs on the screen? I looked it up on this site and I saw one guys screen that it was, but I keep hearing about folders? Do I have to make folders or can I play the songs right from the MP3 w/names??
Old 05-11-2005, 05:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi, premium package, premium sound, steptronic, bi-xenon adaptive lights, PDC, rear sun shade, rear heating, cold weather package.

Originally Posted by John007' date='May 11 2005, 05:27 PM
This could be a HUGE stupid question, but how do I record mp3 songs in there format?? I have mp3 songs and record them but as reg. audio cd's and I get about 20 songs if I'm lucky... If I can record them as mp3's how many songs could I get on 1 cd in there format?? Also do they sound any different?? Last you can't get the name of the song on MP3 to come up on the screen can you????
[snapback]127184[/snapback]

John, if you use Nero, record the MP3 in CD-ROM (ISO) format. Technically speaking just as you would for a data disc. If you choice AUDIO, it will automatically convert into WAV file and record as standard audio for you.
If that is the case, you can only record up to 20 songs.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by phototalk123' date='May 11 2005, 09:34 PM
[quote name='John007' date='May 11 2005, 05:27 PM']This could be a HUGE stupid question, but how do I record mp3 songs in there format?? I have mp3 songs and record them but as reg. audio cd's and I get about 20 songs if I'm lucky... If I can record them as mp3's how many songs could I get on 1 cd in there format?? Also do they sound any different?? Last you can't get the name of the song on MP3 to come up on the screen can you????

John, if you use Nero, record the MP3 in CD-ROM (ISO) format. Technically speaking just as you would for a data disc. If you choice AUDIO, it will automatically convert into WAV file and record as standard audio for you.
[snapback]127319[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks, I actualy figured it out, I used Itunes and I was able to switch to record MP3 and it worked.... Now if my car can play MP3 (not picking it up till end of week) will the titles be on the screen? Also I have done some search and people wern't sure if the 05' radio with sirus and no nav. or L7 would play mp3's , well this is the setup I have... did anyone find out if it plays?
Old 05-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by John007' date='May 11 2005, 08:37 PM
[quote name='phototalk123' date='May 11 2005, 09:34 PM'][quote name='John007' date='May 11 2005, 05:27 PM']This could be a HUGE stupid question, but how do I record mp3 songs in there format?? I have mp3 songs and record them but as reg. audio cd's and I get about 20 songs if I'm lucky... If I can record them as mp3's how many songs could I get on 1 cd in there format?? Also do they sound any different?? Last you can't get the name of the song on MP3 to come up on the screen can you????

[snapback]127319[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks, I actualy figured it out, I used Itunes and I was able to switch to record MP3 and it worked.... Now if my car can play MP3 (not picking it up till end of week) will the titles be on the screen? Also I have done some search and people wern't sure if the 05' radio with sirus and no nav. or L7 would play mp3's , well this is the setup I have... did anyone find out if it plays?
[snapback]127322[/snapback]
[/quote]

I notice in another thread that you're not having luck, but yes - you would see the titles on the screen.

It would appear that in the track list view, it displays the actual filename. While the track is playing, it switches to displaying the ID3 tag information.

Quick Reply: MP3 oddities