E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MP3 news/rumours

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Rumours from Munich say that CIP 20 will NOT include MP3. The same rumours say it will not come before January/February, and I was to angry to ask: WHAT YEAR?

:thumbsdown:

Old 11-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for the update Iceman.

This is getting a little frustrating The 3-series had MP3 capability since its intro! When I bought my car in June, my dealer assured me the MP3 update would be in Sep/Oct (of course he was trying to sell me a car).

I just bought a Transpod (transmits through radio stations via the cig lighter) as a stopgap measure but it had significant muffled static so I returned it.

With the new update (if it ever comes), will one just plug in an iPod with control via steering wheel buttons or does it work another way?
Old 11-22-2005, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

It will allow playback of CD's with MP3 files.

The E90 has this feature as well as the new E60 that are leaving the factory now, but the hardware is a little different. All E60's that are older (MY03-05) are waiting for the needed update.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='202243' date='Nov 23 2005, 12:46 AM
It will allow playback of CD's with MP3 files.

The E90 has this feature as well as the new E60 that are leaving the factory now, but the hardware is a little different. All E60's that are older (MY03-05) are waiting for the needed update.
thanks for the update iceman, well this is so dissapointing they need to sort out the programming pdq...i am sure you will keep us updated.thanks......really lost for words been waiting so long 12 months of differing excusess.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:05 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Iceman, do we know if the CCC hardware changed between pre-September and post-September production?

In one of the other threads, someone claimed the CCC hardware part number was the same even on post-September production cars. If true, that means the only thing different is the software...I don't believe that to be the case, but just raising the issue again: if the CCC part number is indeed the same (and I haven't confirmed whether it is), and my car which has software version E060-05-09-535 (CIP 19.02.03) with CCC/Pro Nav can play MP3s, then vehicles that upgrade to this should be able to play MP3s.

But, if that is NOT the case, that says to me that the CCC hardware is different (and that would mean that MP3 playback would require a CCC upgrade, which BMW is unlikely to pay for). What other explanation could there be? If so, does that mean BMW/Siemens VDO is working to improve the efficiency of MP3 software decoding on the "older" CCC, in the hopes that it will still be possible with ONLY a software update for existing customers?

As I think about this, it's ironic that my car with Pro Nav can play MP3s, and I couldn't care less: what I really want is iPod integration in iDrive. Not to hijack the thread, but why is it that Siemens VDO has had full iPod integration available for iDrive (CCC), and in fact showed it at IAA last year, and BMW still hasn't done anything about it?? BMW has had the capability from SVDO for over a year, and an auxiliary audio input is the best they can do?
Old 11-22-2005, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

I need to check mine. Just got it back after a software update...
Old 11-22-2005, 06:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Any rumors for Bus Radio? I'm still hoping...
Old 11-22-2005, 07:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Not sure if this is a repost as I am so confused over where we are on this MP3 thing. And I don't think it adds much info and maybe throws in some more confusion.

SI B 65 18 05
Sound System, Cruise, Alarms, Monitors October 2005
Technical Service

SUBJECT
MP3 Compatibility Overview

MODEL
E46 (3 Series)

E53 (X5)

E83 (X3)

E85 (Z4)

E60/E61 (5 Series)

E63/E64 (6 Series)

E65/E66 (7 Series)

E90 (3 Series)

INFORMATION
Attached is an overview on MP3 compatible CD radios, M-ASK, CCC and CD changers.

Retrofitting of a MP3 compatible M-ASK is not possible on E60 vehicles.

ATTACHMENTS
B651805MP3_Compatibility_Chart.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 11-22-2005, 07:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='202319' date='Nov 22 2005, 11:23 PM
Not sure if this is a repost as I am so confused over where we are on this MP3 thing. And I don't think it adds much info and maybe throws in some more confusion.
I still am confused about whether my 545i can ever have MP3 capability. My understanding is that we have (1) basic software (e.g., Tiger) and (2) versions (e.g., 19.01). I think that I once read that only certain renditions of the basic software (1) will allow MP3 capabillity. Is this correct? And, if so, what beginning rendition of the basic software (1) will allow MP3? Finally, can the basic software (1) be updated in my car if necessary to get MP3 capability? I have tried to get clarification on this issue before, but to no avail. Ironically, I don't much care if I can play MP3's or not, but I am darned curious about the anwers to the questions I am raising.

Help! ~{;^)
Old 11-23-2005, 06:07 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by vnod' post='202325
I still am confused about whether my 545i can ever have MP3 capability. My understanding is that we have (1) basic software (e.g., Tiger) and (2) versions (e.g., 19.01). I think that I once read that only certain renditions of the basic software (1) will allow MP3 capabillity. Is this correct? And, if so, what beginning rendition of the basic software (1) will allow MP3? Finally, can the basic software (1) be updated in my car if necessary to get MP3 capability? I have tried to get clarification on this issue before, but to no avail. Ironically, I don't much care if I can play MP3's or not, but I am darned curious about the anwers to the questions I am raising.

Help! ~{;^)
[/quote]

I don't think there is any other software in the terms you're referring to it. There is one set of software for ALL E60 vehicles, which is contained within the CIP releases. That version is E060-year-month-version, e.g., E060-05-09-535. Then there are the CIP versions, which encompass many different vehicles other than E60 (e.g., CIP 19.02.03). The CIP version number can change WITHOUT the E60 software changing, because CIP contains software for other vehicles as well. But since the version of software for a specific vehicle is implicit in the CIP version, BMW Centers usually refer to CIP.

But as an example, there were no changes for E60 between CIP 19.01 and 19.02 (which some dealers irritating and confusingly refer to as "19.1" and "19.2"); both contained E60 software E060-05-09-530.

This software is the same for ALL E60 vehicles. Now, as to the concept of things being perhaps supported only on one set of E60s and not others, well, that might be something that is dependent on the hardware. So a particular vehicle might have literally the same version of the software as another, but one can play back MP3s and the other cannot. That implies a hardware difference, which is what I was alluding to above. I don't think there is any other "basic software" in these terms. The only software of any type for the vehicle is via CIP (which in turn contains the software specific to E60, but which applies to all models of E60). Now, there may be hardware/firmware differences, but these are unlikely to be able to be changed by a service facility.

As of right now, my Week 40 vehicle with Nav Pro/CCC and E060-05-09-535 (CIP 19.02.03) can play MP3s in the single slot CD player.

- If it is ONLY the software that enables it, in theory, anyone should be able to go out and get this update, and begin playing MP3s.

- However, if it is a combination with this software version level AND updated hardware, this means that existing owners will NOT be able to just upgrade the software to play MP3s.

- IF it will be possible with a future software upgrade WITHOUT a hardware upgrade, then that means BMW and/or Siemens VDO are still working on optimizing MP3 playback on the "older" CCC units (if there is in fact a difference between CCC)

So, in sum, I have seen nothing to indicate that there is another, "basic", level of software that could be upgraded. There is the hardware, and the software releases that apply to all E60 vehicles, and that's it. Now, if there are hardware differences, then yes, the same version of software could have different features and functionality on different vehicles, just as there are differences between vehicles with M-ASK with a particular CIP version and vehicles with CCC and that same CIP version.

Quick Reply: MP3 news/rumours