E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MP3 on, for example, my 545i Purchased 6/05:

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='210330' date='Dec 12 2005, 01:54 PM
Iceman has posted several attempts at summarizing the the who can and who cannot on MP3 and they are in several threads. I started to search for them and list, but ran out of patience. I might try again later to "assemble" the summary threads.

There was also the question of CCC versus M-ASK. M-ASK is for all NON-NAV systems. If u have NAV you are CCC. This is completely independant of Pro Radio or Business Radio.

The details on CCC are here: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=1722

Although we were expecting a similar detailed discussion on M-ASK, I have been unable to locate it yet, if we have it.
cd, thank you much for the link and info. Yes, it is too hard to trace down all the prior threads. I was hoping that we would end up with a new thread having "everything" on it.

Here is what I think we know--Pro NAV, Pro Radio, and CCC all go together. M-ASK is not an issue unless one does not have NAV. We may, or may not, need different hardware if the build date is prior to 10/05. And, software at least as old as E060-05-09-535/CIP 19.02.03 yields MP3 play provided accepable hardware is installed. I know we can't verify our CIP versions via our iDrives, but can we verify our E060 ... numbers using the iDrive? Many of us know our CIP versions. Maby knowing the CIP version implies the E060 number. If so, does anyone know what E060 value goes with CIP 19.01.01.

In its index, my 5-Series manual, which is supposed to apply to my 545i, says "MP3, refer to Compressed Audio Files 157." Then, page 157 of my manual says "insert the CD into the drive with the labeled side up. Playback starts automatically if the sound output is on. For CDs with compressed audio files, it can take up to 50 seconds to read the data depending on the directory structure."

I gave it one more try--making a new MP3 CD and testing it on other MP3 players. The CD definitely contains MP3, and it defintely plays on the other MP3 capable players. While it was not a big deal to me, I was told that my car would play MP3's before purchasing it. And, this view seems to be confirmed by my manual. Recently, I have become more interested in the MP3 issue partially because I am supposed to have it and do not.

So should, and can, BMW's feet be held to the fire on this issue. That is, is BMW responsible for providing any hardware and software upgrades necessary for those of us rightfully expecting MP3 capability?
Old 12-12-2005, 11:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I for one, am reserving judgement on BMW's efforts until they release the software for the CCC equipped cars. If, after that, something remains amiss then I'll look at my next course of action. Right now I have too many choices as it is (FM, CD, AUX and SAT) to listen to all that I have. I have CDs made of MP3s I use on some other vehicles I drive, but they are duplicated on my iPod like MP3 player. Plus that holds 100s of albums without switching CDs or making make dups of what I have already assembled. So it probably would boil down to supporting the "principle" of the thing when/if it comes to that. And I also like "toys" and staying abreast of the latest in BMW news
Old 12-12-2005, 11:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by tomwid' post='210354' date='Dec 12 2005, 02:52 PM
OMG, not another one of these threads. Can we add something to the faq so that people know what is what? Some still do not understand between a regular audio CD and a data MP3 cd.. Geezus.

Here's the final answer:

US cars ONLY!
Cars w/o PRO NAV can PLAY MP3 DATA CDS

CARS BUILT BEFORE 10/2006 w PRO NAV CANNOT PLAY MP3 DATA CDS!

When testing:

MAKE SURE YOU ARE BURNING A DATA CD, NOT AUDIO. PICK MORE THAN 30 SONGS.
I am not hard of hearing despite my age. 10/2006 10/2005 And, why can't cars built before 10/2005 play MP3s. Is the problem hardware, software, or both? I assume the problem is hardware since software can be updated to the latest on the pre-10/2005 5-Series cars. And, of course, one does not need to pick more than 30 songs. All that is necessary is to verify that the files on the CD are MP3's. But, I know what you are getting at.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='210407' date='Dec 12 2005, 03:45 PM
I for one, am reserving judgement on BMW's efforts until they release the software for the CCC equipped cars. If, after that, something remains amiss then I'll look at my next course of action. Right now I have too many choices as it is (FM, CD, AUX and SAT) to listen to all that I have. I have CDs made of MP3s I use on some other vehicles I drive, but they are duplicated on my iPod like MP3 player. Plus that holds 100s of albums without switching CDs or making make dups of what I have already assembled. So it probably would boil down to supporting the "principle" of the thing when/if it comes to that. And I also like "toys" and staying abreast of the latest in BMW news
Right, I guess you mean CIP 20.whatever. And, to add to my confusion, can I even hook my iPod up using the auxillary port or whatever? I know some are using iPods, but others have indicated problems. My car's description is in my sig, and, as indicated above, it was purchased in 6/05. I would appreciate any info you can provide on the iPod-usage issue too. Thanks again.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by vnod' post='210421
Right, I guess you mean CIP 20.whatever. And, to add to my confusion, can I even hook my iPod up using the auxillary port or whatever? I know some are using iPods, but others have indicated problems. My car's description is in my sig, and, as indicated above, it was purchased in 6/05. I would appreciate any info you can provide on the iPod-usage issue too. Thanks again.
[/quote]
All the AUX Input does is allow you to connect ANY audio source (CD, DVD, Tape, MP3 player) to you audio entertainment system and play the sound through system. In that way when you use phone, or Nav lady (man) it interrupts the sound from the source just as if it were CD, or radio. Being that it is only audio, you do not control any of the named devices I listed other than by the devices' controls be they on the unit or some remote control provided by its mfr. This is OEM on the 3 series, but 5 and 6 series owners must go get it retro fitted. But because we are retro fitting we can ask for the jack to be placed where we want it although the default is in the glove box (mine is there and works well for my purposes). So far I am aware that all '04, '05, and '06 models have used the same part number for this retrofit kit. Some forum members have done some real good custom installs of various aspects including device holders, plugs and power. Me - I just took what they gave me. Works for any combo of NAV, no NAV, Pro or Business Radio, L7 or not makes no difference. Also note that for the DVD this is only the audio portion and does not imply that you can see DVD video. For that u need more mods.

And yep, CIP 20 is the current thinking, and I hope any delays in getting this released means we really get MP3 and not that it is pushed off and yet another CIP version later.

One of the difficulties in tracking changes in CIPs is that the Svc Bulletins only show fixes, not enhancements. However, this has been such a BIG issue I hope they do at least mention it. So we might see the CIP 20 SIB without knowing if MP3 is included or not until actual testing by member owners.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vnod' post='209761
There was also the question of CCC versus M-ASK. M-ASK is for all NON-NAV systems. If u have NAV you are CCC. This is completely independant of Pro Radio or Business Radio.
Correct, only if you're talking US version. Business nav in Europe (not available in US) has M-ASK. And also means it can play MP3. Mine does.

In Europe I have Business Nav. I also have Logic7 and because of it, I have Pro Radio. Iceman explained this probably too many times. And he did it very well...
Old 12-12-2005, 01:09 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

This thread is giving me a headache...

Seems it belongs in parts/accessories/mods...no, it's getting so off topic (with the file format alphabet soup discussions) that probably the lounge would be appropriate ...or, even, better, here:

Music file format discussion
Old 12-12-2005, 01:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='210430
Originally Posted by cobradav' post='210407' date='Dec 12 2005, 03:45 PM
All the AUX Input does is allow you to connect ANY audio source (CD, DVD, Tape, MP3 player) to you audio entertainment system and play the sound through system. In that way when you use phone, or Nav lady (man) it interrupts the sound from the source just as if it were CD, or radio. Being that it is only audio, you do not control any of the named devices I listed other than by the devices' controls be they on the unit or some remote control provided by its mfr. This is OEM on the 3 series, but 5 and 6 series owners must go get it retro fitted. But because we are retro fitting we can ask for the jack to be placed where we want it although the default is in the glove box (mine is there and works well for my purposes). So far I am aware that all '04, '05, and '06 models have used the same part number for this retrofit kit. Some forum members have done some real good custom installs of various aspects including device holders, plugs and power. Me - I just took what they gave me. Works for any combo of NAV, no NAV, Pro or Business Radio, L7 or not makes no difference. Also note that for the DVD this is only the audio portion and does not imply that you can see DVD video. For that u need more mods.

And yep, CIP 20 is the current thinking, and I hope any delays in getting this released means we really get MP3 and not that it is pushed off and yet another CIP version later.

One of the difficulties in tracking changes in CIPs is that the Svc Bulletins only show fixes, not enhancements. However, this has been such a BIG issue I hope they do at least mention it. So we might see the CIP 20 SIB without knowing if MP3 is included or not until actual testing by member owners.
[/quote]
Thanks for the great info on the Aux input. I have saved it.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stream' post='210446' date='Dec 12 2005, 05:09 PM
This thread is giving me a headache...

Seems it belongs in parts/accessories/mods...no, it's getting so off topic (with the file format alphabet soup discussions) that probably the lounge would be appropriate ...or, even, better, here:

Music file format discussion
Your link is a good source. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

It's been so long (for me anyways) waiting for the MP3, it's no longer an issue. I DREAD going to the stealer, since they always manage to do some damage to my car when it's in for service.

I have my iPod Nano and the AUX, which is a very welcome alternative. I still wonder though, if 10/05 cars are out w/ Pro Nav, and they have 19.xx something and can play MP3s, it makes me think ours won't ever be able to.

Quick Reply: MP3 on, for example, my 545i Purchased 6/05: