E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MP3 CD 2004 MY

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Grey on Auburn 545i SMG, Sports Pkg, Nav, Logic 7, PDC, 19" BMW Double Spoke 125.

I've been searching and searching on whether you can get CD MP3 playibility in pre-05 e60's. I've seen issues related to whether you have bus or pro radio, nav, software updates, CCC or MOST, what location your car is from in, etc. I'm assuming that the answer has changed as software updates have been released. So what I'd like to confirm is whether you can get MP3 CD compatibility with a North American 2004 545i, with bus radio, no nav, and the latest version of software which I'm assuming is CIP 23 (and MP3 enabled).

Also, will the IPOD adapter work for this configuration.

THX!!
Old 08-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by badman25' post='454300' date='Aug 1 2007, 10:40 PM
I've been searching and searching on whether you can get CD MP3 playibility in pre-05 e60's. I've seen issues related to whether you have bus or pro radio, nav, software updates, CCC or MOST, what location your car is from in, etc. I'm assuming that the answer has changed as software updates have been released. So what I'd like to confirm is whether you can get MP3 CD compatibility with a North American 2004 545i, with bus radio, no nav, and the latest version of software which I'm assuming is CIP 23 (and MP3 enabled).

Also, will the IPOD adapter work for this configuration.

THX!!

Sorry the answer does not change with software releases... its the limitation of the hardware. With Bus Radio it simply doesnt have the hardware to support MP3 decoding. Yes MP3 decoding can be done with just SW but BMW never released that and I dont think they're planning to.

We're up to CIP 26 now again its not the SW its HW limitation. you'll need Professional Radio to play mp3s

All the CCC MOST NAV no NAV talk is to distinguish what Radio people have thats why you see all the references to it. Most people do not know if they have Bus Radio or Professional Radio but most people will know if they have Navigation or not. So with North America as long as you have NAV you have Prof Radio. and CCC is the processor that comes with NAV systems otherwise its the other... the name just slipped my mind... M-ASK I want to say...
Old 08-02-2007, 03:45 AM
Members

My Ride: Grey on Auburn 545i SMG, Sports Pkg, Nav, Logic 7, PDC, 19" BMW Double Spoke 125.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='454303' date='Aug 2 2007, 01:47 AM
Sorry the answer does not change with software releases... its the limitation of the hardware. With Bus Radio it simply doesnt have the hardware to support MP3 decoding. Yes MP3 decoding can be done with just SW but BMW never released that and I dont think they're planning to.

We're up to CIP 26 now again its not the SW its HW limitation. you'll need Professional Radio to play mp3s

All the CCC MOST NAV no NAV talk is to distinguish what Radio people have thats why you see all the references to it. Most people do not know if they have Bus Radio or Professional Radio but most people will know if they have Navigation or not. So with North America as long as you have NAV you have Prof Radio. and CCC is the processor that comes with NAV systems otherwise its the other... the name just slipped my mind... M-ASK I want to say...

Thanks for the clarification. So I guess it's impossible to upgrade to professional in NA unless you buy a nav system. If the business radio can't decode mp3s due to a HW limitation, does that also mean that I can't install the IPOD adapter interface? Aux input is the only way to go?
Old 08-02-2007, 06:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by badman25' post='454380' date='Aug 2 2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the clarification. So I guess it's impossible to upgrade to professional in NA unless you buy a nav system. If the business radio can't decode mp3s due to a HW limitation, does that also mean that I can't install the IPOD adapter interface? Aux input is the only way to go?
I have a 2004 UK model and can play mp3's. plus I am aware that the UK dealers can retrofit a iPod interface. But I think the price is dependant on whether you have a disc changer in the glove box.

If you have one. its cheap, but you loose the changer.

If you don't then it requires more work so it'll cost more!
Old 08-02-2007, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by badman25' post='454380' date='Aug 2 2007, 01:45 PM
unless you buy a nav system.
Somebody, in the =14 section, has upgraded the nav, from business to professional: check..
Old 08-02-2007, 07:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by badman25' post='454380' date='Aug 2 2007, 06:45 AM
No, you can get the iPod install. As MIINTY, points out it goes through the connection that the 6-disc changer uses. If you already have the changer you lose it and if you don't have it there will additional costs to to the install. I have added the iPod in my 2004 car and it works well. Software has a few minor quirks, mostly related to the Random feature but it's much better than the 6-disc changer. I, like you have no navigation and therefore the Business radio so no MP3 for me either but with the iPod I have no complaints.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='454428' date='Aug 2 2007, 11:08 AM
No, you can get the iPod install. As MIINTY, points out it goes through the connection that the 6-disc changer uses. If you already have the changer you lose it and if you don't have it there will additional costs to to the install. I have added the iPod in my 2004 car and it works well. Software has a few minor quirks, mostly related to the Random feature but it's much better than the 6-disc changer. I, like you have no navigation and therefore the Business radio so no MP3 for me either but with the iPod I have no complaints.
That's GREAT news!!! How much does it cost to buy the adapter itself, and how much to install if you don't have cd changer?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by badman25' post='454649' date='Aug 2 2007, 06:16 PM
That's GREAT news!!! How much does it cost to buy the adapter itself, and how much to install if you don't have cd changer?
Will have to dig out the paperwork at the office tomorrow but it's not really cheap. Ballpark, $450 (US) installed, as there is the adapter itself and then a software update to get it working. Is not a DIY as you need the software update for activation. Is it more than an iPod player itself? Sure, but well worth it in my mind given the multiples of songs you can have on the iPod vs. the 6-disc changer.

I had the changer already so can't really help on the price difference with and without changer.