E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MP3 CCC Upgrade and Service Advisor Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)
Thumbs up

Okay fellas.....Im looking for a little help here. I took my 2005 (build date 11/2004) 545i in for service today and also asked my SA if he could update the CCC software so I could play MP3's, and he tells me that I just missed the cut, that the cut off build date was 03/05, and e60's earlier then that, MP3 format would not work. So after extensive reading on here, I have found some people say yes they've got it to work, and some people say no they havent. Ive read about whether or not you have PRO NAV or PRO Radio, which totally confused the heck out of me.

I know by reading some of the other's postings "RUDY HELP" and some others they have a pre build date 03/05 dated E60 that had this upgrade done, and they can play MP3's, so if my car can truly play MP3's with a simple software update, can anyone tell me what the proceedure is? When I picked up my car late in the afternoon and my service advisor said he would try updating my car, however he was hoping to find out what the proceedure was, because he could find any info for cars earlier then March 2005.

Can anyone help me with either the exact proceedure used to do the upgrade, or maybe the name of a dealership and SA who's done this proceedure before a pre- 03/05 E60?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

Here's whats in my car 2005 545i w/ HiFi Sterero and NAV, No Ipod or CD Changer. I dont know whether or not I have PRO-NAV, business Nav, or PRO Radio, nor do I know how to determine this....

TEACH ME OH GREAT ONES!!!! haha
Old 04-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

I have a 3/05 build and from what I've read it's definitely possible that you can retrofit mp3 compatibility but if yet do do so.

I've personally learned through experience of various software "upgrades" that you're most often keeping the original software unless you're having major problems. I've had so many headaches on both on e60 and e85 (525i and z4) and it's absolutely not worth it. If you find a software version that works on the e60 STAY WITH IT.

My z4 is a little more "upgrade friendly" but I wouldn't mess with the e60's software. If you're under warranty you can afford to experiment more, but if out of warranty then I'd keep it as is. My .02
Old 04-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by wasupdu' post='558217' date='Apr 8 2008, 06:57 PM
I have a 3/05 build and from what I've read it's definitely possible that you can retrofit mp3 compatibility but if yet do do so.

I've personally learned through experience of various software "upgrades" that you're most often keeping the original software unless you're having major problems. I've had so many headaches on both on e60 and e85 (525i and z4) and it's absolutely not worth it. If you find a software version that works on the e60 STAY WITH IT.

My z4 is a little more "upgrade friendly" but I wouldn't mess with the e60's software. If you're under warranty you can afford to experiment more, but if out of warranty then I'd keep it as is. My .02
wasupdu...

thanks for the heads up, and yes luckly I am still under warranty, so that, and not having to pay for it is why I am pushing my dealer for this, if its possible. If I had to pay, i would just get the ipod upgrade for sure. Which I may do eventually anyway....nice AW E60 BTW..

Im just waiting for Rudy, Bruce Miranda, or one of the other wise one's on here to save me on this issue, haha
Old 04-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Try this...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=attach...st&id=61510

SOP = Start of Production to 09/05 WITH CCC/Navigation can get the MP3 with a software upgrade. Print and bring to your SA...
Old 04-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='558227' date='Apr 8 2008, 07:10 PM

KS...

Yeah thats what I gave him, and he gave me a print out titled "Implementation of MP3 Capability" which looks like a spred sheet and says:

E60/E61 since 03/05**

** = CCC Vehicles from 03/05 to 09/05, MP3 functionality has to be retrofitted via Progman

So I was looking for someone who's had it done for sure, and if they knew what the procdure was. He said he was going to look up some more information for me tomorrow, but I was hoping maybe someone could may say yes I have your model and older and yes i had it done, and this is what they did, and this is where as a reference, or maybe my SA dealership could call that dealership/SA.

My SA seems like he wants to help, so thats a start right?
Old 04-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='558233' date='Apr 8 2008, 09:23 PM
KS...

Yeah thats what I gave him, and he gave me a print out titled "Implementation of MP3 Capability" which looks like a spred sheet and says:

E60/E61 since 03/05**

** = CCC Vehicles from 03/05 to 09/05, MP3 functionality has to be retrofitted via Progman

So I was looking for someone who's had it done for sure, and if they knew what the procdure was. He said he was going to look up some more information for me tomorrow, but I was hoping maybe someone could may say yes I have your model and older and yes i had it done, and this is what they did, and this is where as a reference, or maybe my SA dealership could call that dealership/SA.

My SA seems like he wants to help, so thats a start right?
IceyTys, it does sound like your SA is trying to help you so count your blessings -- most of them would just tell you "it can't be done" and tell you to go away...

Trust me, MP3 playback capability can be done on a CCC car built before 3/05, my 3/04 build car had it done with just software even before BMW officially supported it!

Hopefully, by studying the following chronology, you'll be able to make your case to the SA:

In January of 2006, BMW issued two documents. One was a service bulletin (SI B65 30 05) with the subject "CCC: MP3 CD Playback Not Available" and the other was a table called "Implementation of MP3 Capability" that outlined each BMW model and how it supported the various types of MP3 playback from the factory based on the car's production date. It's important to note again that both of these documents came out in January 2006. Both documents indicate that MP3 CD playback would be available on E60 CCC cars from 3/05 production on and in the footnotes, the service bulletin specified that if the car was produced between 3/05 and 9/05, MP3 functionality had to be retrofitted via Progman (software).

In March of 2006, BMW issued an updated version of the service bulletin from January 2006 (still named SI B65 30 05) with the subject "CCC: MP3 CD Playback Not Available" and it clearly stated that "This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B65 30 05 dated January 2006." In this updated bulletin, they changed the cutoff date from 3/05 to SOP (start of production) and explained that early versions of the CCC software was not stable enough to allow for proper MP3 functionality. Again, the document explains that the functionality could be retrofitted using Progman version 20.00 or higher. The bulletin clearly spells out the steps needed to perform this retrofit procedure and even calls attention to bulletin SI B09 05 01 to help explain the procedure more clearly. (Keep in mind that just updating the car to the newer software isn't enough -- a "retrofit procedure" has to be performed during the update for the new feature to be available.)

So, after following the above, it's clear to me that your CCC-based car can be retrofitted with MP3 disc playback capability without the need for any hardware changes. I'm betting that you might already be on a Progman version newer than version 20.x but if the retrofit procedure was never done, the discs won't work.

Below are all the documents I described above which should help you sort all this out with your SA. (Tell him he can send me a check for my time! )

SI B65 30 05 from January 2006:
SI_B65_30_05___original__MP3_.pdf
Implementation of MP3 Capability table from January 2006:
MP3_drives.pdf

SI B65 30 05 from March 2006:
SI_B65_30_05___updated__MP3_.pdf
SI B09 05 01 from March 2006 (programming and coding using Progman):
Programming_and_Coding_using_CIP2.pdf

If you don't get your MP3 functionality with all that information, I'll eat my hat!
Old 04-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='558262' date='Apr 8 2008, 08:01 PM
IceyTys, it does sound like your SA is trying to help you so count your blessings -- most of them would just tell you "it can't be done" and tell you to go away...

Trust me, MP3 playback capability can be done on a CCC car built before 3/05, my 3/04 build car had it done with just software even before BMW officially supported it!

Hopefully, by studying the following chronology, you'll be able to make your case to the SA:

In January of 2006, BMW issued two documents. One was a service bulletin (SI B65 30 05) with the subject "CCC: MP3 CD Playback Not Available" and the other was a table called "Implementation of MP3 Capability" that outlined each BMW model and how it supported the various types of MP3 playback from the factory based on the car's production date. It's important to note again that both of these documents came out in January 2006. Both documents indicate that MP3 CD playback would be available on E60 CCC cars from 3/05 production on and in the footnotes, the service bulletin specified that if the car was produced between 3/05 and 9/05, MP3 functionality had to be retrofitted via Progman (software).

In March of 2006, BMW issued an updated version of the service bulletin from January 2006 (still named SI B65 30 05) with the subject "CCC: MP3 CD Playback Not Available" and it clearly stated that "This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B65 30 05 dated January 2006." In this updated bulletin, they changed the cutoff date from 3/05 to SOP (start of production) and explained that early versions of the CCC software was not stable enough to allow for proper MP3 functionality. Again, the document explains that the functionality could be retrofitted using Progman version 20.00 or higher. The bulletin clearly spells out the steps needed to perform this retrofit procedure and even calls attention to bulletin SI B09 05 01 to help explain the procedure more clearly. (Keep in mind that just updating the car to the newer software isn't enough -- a "retrofit procedure" has to be performed during the update for the new feature to be available.)

So, after following the above, it's clear to me that your CCC-based car can be retrofitted with MP3 disc playback capability without the need for any hardware changes. I'm betting that you might already be on a Progman version newer than version 20.x but if the retrofit procedure was never done, the discs won't work.

Below are all the documents I described above which should help you sort all this out with your SA. (Tell him he can send me a check for my time! )

SI B65 30 05 from January 2006:
Attachment 47805
Implementation of MP3 Capability table from January 2006:
Attachment 47804

SI B65 30 05 from March 2006:
Attachment 47806
SI B09 05 01 from March 2006 (programming and coding using Progman):
Attachment 47810

If you don't get your MP3 functionality with all that information, I'll eat my hat!

RUDY.....as always you come thru in the clutch!!!! Many thanks.....Ill be sure to lay my case out to him tomorrow and see what he says. Ill be sure to follow up if we get rolling!!!
Old 04-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Contributors

I had an 04 before that was playing Mp3. It was enabled by software alone.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Members

I have 2004 e60 and still loving it, and believe me, it works... when you have the software updated, just ask for mp3 enabling... that should do it... no questions asked... good luck!! hope the outcome will be positive and you will jump for joy!!

cheers!!
Old 04-09-2008, 06:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Thanks for the info guys I just got my 545 with 11/04 build date last week and wanted to get the MP3 capability, I have Navigation, Logic 7 and CD changer. What's the pro-nav/business nav difference? What other features do you get when updating the car's software? Is there anything else I should ask for since the service bulletin states "On a customer complaint basis only" Since I've not had this car long and not had chance to explore these forums as much as I'd like are there other hidden updates I might be intersted in?

Just looking at the programming doccument, 4 hours to program! I thought my old ZX81 was slow

Quick Reply: MP3 CCC Upgrade and Service Advisor Help