E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

More Woes - Bonnet Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (2007) E60 - 520d Msport - Carbon Black,Black Dakota Leather, Carbon Fibre Trim, Business Nav, Bluetooth with telematics, Heated Seats, Parking Sensors Fr/Rr
Thumbs up

Hi All,

as per my previous posts - my 2007 520d Msport was involved in an accident and subsequently repaired by a Bodyshop.

I picked up the car last week and so far have found the following:

* Brackets that lift up and carry Bumper from crash bar - missing
* N/S wing - paint finish far from acceptable.
* Came back with dented rear bumper - not accepting liability.
* Broken headlamp bracket.
* Bonnet not closing properly.

So - before I take the car back and have a little chat with the manager - I have another request for advice/ help.

Q: Should the bonnet lift of it's own accord after releasing the catch at the front?

Q: Are all E60 Bonnets the same? Or is the Msport lighter?

Q: Where can I find the part number on the bonnet to ensure that the correct Bonnet has been fitted.

Reason I am asking is I am sure that it did pre accident. I might be cynical - but after the faults listed above - I have every right to be worried......

Regards, Matt
Old 03-25-2008, 02:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MSportMatt' post='550362' date='Mar 25 2008, 04:35 AM
Hi All,

as per my previous posts - my 2007 520d Msport was involved in an accident and subsequently repaired by a Bodyshop.

I picked up the car last week and so far have found the following:

* Brackets that lift up and carry Bumper from crash bar - missing
* N/S wing - paint finish far from acceptable.
* Came back with dented rear bumper - not accepting liability.
* Broken headlamp bracket.
* Bonnet not closing properly.

So - before I take the car back and have a little chat with the manager - I have another request for advice/ help.

Q: Should the bonnet lift of it's own accord after releasing the catch at the front?

Q: Are all E60 Bonnets the same? Or is the Msport lighter?

Q: Where can I find the part number on the bonnet to ensure that the correct Bonnet has been fitted.

Reason I am asking is I am sure that it did pre accident. I might be cynical - but after the faults listed above - I have every right to be worried......

Regards, Matt
The E60 bonnet does not lift of it's own accord after releasing the front catch, at least mine doesn't, I still have to give it a little push up.

I believe all LCI bonnets are the same M-Sport or Standard. At least it is the same for Pre-LCI

Not sure where is the part number on the bonnet, but I am sure someone will chime in with that.

I hope this helps
Old 03-25-2008, 04:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

+1
The hood doesn't lift on it's own. You need to lift it about a quarter of the way up before the struts take over. You might be thinking of the trunk lid. I don't know about the non-Sport, but my hood feels super light when I lift it. I would imagine they're all made of the same composite material, but who knows. It might be different on the 550i to preserve the 50/50 weight balance.

Do a search here, and I'm sure you'll find a PDF document containing part numbers. Or better yet, send a PM to Rudy! Good luck!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:36 AM
Members

My Ride: (2007) E60 - 520d Msport - Carbon Black,Black Dakota Leather, Carbon Fibre Trim, Business Nav, Bluetooth with telematics, Heated Seats, Parking Sensors Fr/Rr

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='550415' date='Mar 25 2008, 08:58 AM
+1
The hood doesn't lift on it's own. You need to lift it about a quarter of the way up before the struts take over. You might be thinking of the trunk lid. I don't know about the non-Sport, but my hood feels super light when I lift it. I would imagine they're all made of the same composite material, but who knows. It might be different on the 550i to preserve the 50/50 weight balance.

Do a search here, and I'm sure you'll find a PDF document containing part numbers. Or better yet, send a PM to Rudy! Good luck!
Thanks Guys,

after thinking about it - you are both right - bonnet only self lifts after 1st quarter of opening - maybe a safety thing.

Bodyshop update - been today and explained faults found and they are taking it in for the day tomorrow to hopefully get the problems sorted.

Fingers crossed - I will have a sorted car

Pictures still to follow of the fitted 166M's in Gun Metal.

Cheers,

Matt