E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More runflat news

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 12:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at recent BMW reviews it seems that runflat technology is evolving for the better.

CAR magazine has just tested the 330i, which came with the new Pirelli Euforia runflats, and they explicity cited the fact that these ride better than the original 5 series (Dunlop and Bridgestone I guess) tyres.

Good news for those considering a tyre change soon.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:07 AM
Senior Members

This continued bashing of the runflats amazes me. I have Dunlops fitted to my 18" style 124 alloys running on sports suspension and I have never had a noise or ride problem with them. I haven't driven a 5 with Bridgestones so I can't comment on those. Road surfaces in the UK aren't the best but I can honestly say I have had no issues with them. The wear rate is pretty good as well. I got 17,000 miles out of the rears and have 20,000 on the fronts thus far. These will need changing in the next 1000 miles or so I think. I'm sure the people who have switched out of runflats have had genuine issues but I think it only fair to balance out their views by saying that I can't find fault with mine.

My Z4 runs on Bridgestone runflats and has the sports suspension as well (standard spec on UK Z4 3.0's). The ride in that car is harsh but I question whether this is more a combination of the suspension being too stiff, the lower seating position and the fact that you are virtually sitting on top of the rear axle so the shock transmitted from surface irregularities is much greater as it is not cushioned by the whole wheelbase before it hits your seat..

By the way, if you do a thread search on the Pirelli's (we discussed these on another thread a few weeks back) you will see that they are currently only available in a very limited range of sizes. Once I have my new 320d on the 17" wheels I'll let you all know how they compare. I think some of the UK motoring press went over the top on the runflats issue and are now using the supposed change of tyre manufacturer to backtrack on this issue. As they seem to have a love affair with the Pirelli P Zero tyre you have to question why the Pirelli run flat is all of a sudden a much better tyre than the Bridgestone or Dunlop versions.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:15 AM
Members

My Ride: Oxford Green E60 530D with tuning box and all the toys!

Changed my runflats for Michelin Pilot Primacy. The trouble is that you don't have anything to compare the RF's to unless or until you change to non RF's. The Michelins are slightly more comfortable than the OEM Dunlops, the grip is considerably better and I hope to get a great deal more than the 11,000 miles I got out of the D's.

Looking at the posts worldwide on this subject, I do have my suspicions that the quality control of the Dunlops may be the issue. Some people find them OK, others have had them changed under warranty cos of excessive noise and quite a few have had excessive wear. I guess that's the price we pay for being first in with new technology. Roll on the next generation so that the increased competition will force quality up!
Old 02-07-2005, 02:51 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

My Bridgestones RFT (summer) works perfectly. But my Good Year RFT (winter) are extremely hard. But the handling amazes me, if I didn't knew it would be impossible to tell that it's a winter tire.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:56 AM
Members

My OEM Dunlop RFT's 0n 116 17" alloys are fine at 7,000 miles - comfortable ride and quiet. I hope the 18" RFT's on my forthcoming car are as good.
Mark-Yorkshire
Old 02-07-2005, 04:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Feb 7 2005, 10:07 AM
This continued bashing of the runflats amazes me. I have Dunlops fitted to my 18" style 124 alloys running on sports suspension and I have never had a noise or ride problem with them.
I agree they're not as bad as the press reckons. I too have the 124's with sports suspension and mostly happy with them. I still wonder if non-RFTs would be 'better' though - I still think I'll ditch them soon though
Old 02-07-2005, 08:08 AM
JDN
Contributors

I'm happy with the 124/Dunlop combo, too. 'Course I bashed all four at something less than 8000 and have less than 2000 on the replacements. But, even so, my first set of OEM on the 540-6 was very noisy as they wore down. Great performers, though. I will stick with the RF as long as the tread is safe. After all, I can't forget that bridge experience where the RF was strong enough to keep reasonable integrity with wheels compeletly split longitudinally.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I just wish one of those press people will get stuck on a busy 8 lane interstate in rush hour and pouring rain having to change a tire.....
Old 02-07-2005, 09:53 AM
JDN
Contributors

Two died in Dallas over the weekend doing just that.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Most tests of the 1 Series have also said how good their runflats are ( mostly Michelin )

Quick Reply: More runflat news