E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

More run flat options

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 08:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a motoring journalist in the UK called Honest John (!), writes for the Telegraph and has his own independent website. Previously he (like others) has critcised the somewhat choppy ride on 5 series run-flats and advocated the standard tyre set-up.

I have just read a review he's done on the 1 series and he praised the ride, only to find these were run-flats too. But they were Michelin Pilot Primacy.

Maybe down to the 1-series chasssis/suspension set-up. Who knows? But another option worth considering when you come to change the tyres.

Link to the article
Old 10-22-2004, 03:03 PM

I have heard that MY05 e60s are now equipped with Goodyear runflats. However, I have checked tirerack.com and can only find Goodyear runflats in the 245/40R18 size for the front tires in the sport package (either Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMT or Goodyear Eagle F1 GS2 EMT).

Does anyone know if Goodyear makes a runflat in the 275/35R18 size for the rear wheels??
Old 10-23-2004, 02:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

If michelin comes with runflats I'll burn some rubber on the streets here and buy them as soon as my flimsy bridgestones are worn..
Old 10-23-2004, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Oct 23 2004, 05:36 AM
If michelin comes with runflats I'll burn some rubber on the streets here and buy them as soon as my flimsy bridgestones are worn..
[snapback]48229[/snapback]
Not me. When my Dunlop runflats are worn, I would probably go for non runflat Michelins, buy an extra rim and tire, jack and wedge and crank. My Dunlop runflats are so noisy after 13,000 km that in city driving, it sounded like a truck in the driver's cabin. The ride is hard and wet road holding is lousy!!!

Can't understand why BMW chooses this tire for the E60s .
Old 10-23-2004, 09:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

This is also an option for me.. I wonder if my car can be changed so I can carry a spare tire.. (in the spare tire well is a storage compartment in my car).
Old 10-23-2004, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

I haven't been able to locate Goodyear run-flats. Anyone have an update?
Old 10-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Contributors

I couldn't find anything on their dutch website too.. I'll try to search a bit broader..
Old 10-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Contributors

I found this website
Old 10-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Contributors

Have searched a bit further.. I found the Yokohama db tires in the correct size for my car.. It's a new tire with a very low soundlevel.. (not available in runflat). This can be interesting for people who really want to have a low soundlevel..

My wife has normal yokohama's on her Smart Brabus citycoupe and these tires are rather noisy to be honest..
Attached Thumbnails More run flat options-yokohama.jpg