E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

More info on USB in the LCI

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TC.' post='403478' date='Mar 16 2007, 02:59 PM
The part is due to be available in the UK mid April, speed to market is the issue apparently.
So they can photograph it in its packaging but can't get it to market?

Right.

ABC
Old 03-16-2007, 10:00 AM
TC.
Members

My Ride: 535d m sport - 9 Weeks to go!!

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='403538' date='Mar 16 2007, 05:06 PM
So they can photograph it in its packaging but can't get it to market?

Right.

ABC
I know - i made the exact same comment - apparently the cable shown in the initial briefing doc for the states is different from the one we shall see............time will tell i guess.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TC.' post='403571' date='Mar 16 2007, 06:00 PM
I know - i made the exact same comment - apparently the cable shown in the initial briefing doc for the states is different from the one we shall see...
There can only be one...

ABC
Old 03-16-2007, 02:21 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 530D Sport Auto plus bits.

It looks to me that the cable is designed to make use of the audio out and control interface much like the iPod docking station. I know it's a bit of a shag but couldn't you just use a standard iPod USB cable from the bottom of the iPod to the USB port and a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to patch the audio from the 'phone socket to the aux in?

OK the control signals would be similar to the likes of the docking station remote controls you can get and the playback would actually be coming from the iPod and not the car's MP3/WMA/AAC decoder.

Alternatively just use the device as a USB mass storage device and let the car catalogue the contents of the drive (DRM protected file excluded)

Fatlab
Old 03-16-2007, 10:45 PM
TC.
Members

Originally Posted by Fatlab' post='403663' date='Mar 16 2007, 10:21 PM
It looks to me that the cable is designed to make use of the audio out and control interface much like the iPod docking station. I know it's a bit of a shag but couldn't you just use a standard iPod USB cable from the bottom of the iPod to the USB port and a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to patch the audio from the 'phone socket to the aux in?

OK the control signals would be similar to the likes of the docking station remote controls you can get and the playback would actually be coming from the iPod and not the car's MP3/WMA/AAC decoder.

Alternatively just use the device as a USB mass storage device and let the car catalogue the contents of the drive (DRM protected file excluded)

Fatlab
I intend taking along a 3.5mm cable and the usb cable to try this out when i pick the car up - I am not expecting it to work though as the cable splits the usb output from the iPod into usb and 3.5mm - taking a direct feed from the phone socket doesn't appear to be supported (will work for straight forward playback as we see now with the AUX-in but without iDrive file structure). Talking to my dealer who has been on a BMW UK briefing on all of the spring changes to the BM range, he stated the same question was asked to BM techs by the dealerships and were told that this wouldn't work (but I won't count it out until I have tried it with my own fair hand!!)
On the mass storage front - if you read up on the material posted so far, the interface doesn't support Hard Disk Based mass storage devices; it doesn't actually say not supported just not recommended which from past experience means you are likely to get a lot of 'unexpected behavior' from the device / interface. Will report back with my findings!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Members

My Ride: LCI E60 520d SE Manual, Jet Black/Natural Brown/Light Poplar, Auto A/C, Elec Front Seats+Lumbar & Driver Memory, SCA Doors, Thru Load, Auto Dim Folding Mirrors, Adaptive Xenons+High-beam Assist, LDWS, USB Audio, 244 wheels+RFTs (until worn) & S-S Spare

Sourcing of USB Memory Sticks is another open point in the 6FL document. Does anyone know of a brand/type that "should" work? I'd like to start loading one up before my 520d is delivered; but which to buy?
Old 03-16-2007, 11:20 PM
TC.
Members

Originally Posted by bob.a' post='403807' date='Mar 17 2007, 07:12 AM
Sourcing of USB Memory Sticks is another open point in the 6FL document. Does anyone know of a brand/type that "should" work? I'd like to start loading one up before my 520d is delivered; but which to buy?
From what I have heard and read so far you would be safer speaking directly with a dealer who genuinely knows the limitations of the interface. Having said this, it sounds that so long as you stay clear of a Hard Disk USB you should be OK
Old 03-17-2007, 10:56 PM
TC.
Members

Having looked at the brochure, it would seem that having the USB option doesn't delete the Aux-in at the back of the transmission tunnel - you therefore get 2 Aux inputs.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TC.' post='404136' date='Mar 18 2007, 06:56 AM
Having looked at the brochure, it would seem that having the USB option doesn't delete the Aux-in at the back of the transmission tunnel - you therefore get 2 Aux inputs.
So that's two sockets not to bugger about with then.

ABC
Old 03-18-2007, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TC.' post='404136' date='Mar 18 2007, 02:56 AM
Well, it does in a way. The USB port is in the center console, as is the Aux-in port. So the Aux-in port in the back of the console is gone. But you do have two after all is said and done.

Quick Reply: More info on USB in the LCI