E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

more creaking complaints

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear seat/rear shelf area creaks like an old wooden boat when making left turns under certain circumstances when the car 'flexes' up incline/ decline then left turn. Driving me nuts Any one else with same problem (NOT from the door seals as that's been replaced / teflon taped, etc with no improvement). Is it reasonable if I ask the dealer to try replacing the shelf and/or seats? ongoing problem for 2 yrs now.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Senior Members

My car is at the dealer for the same exact issue. They said its the door seals first, now yesterday they called me and said its some other kind of seal they have special ordered. I will post again once I get my car back.

So far these things are getting replaced on a 04 530i with approx 30K miles:

1. Steering Wheel Column
2. New Brake Pads
3. Door Seals?
4. A Really Strange Noise from the passanger wheel well, techs at the dealership cannot figure out what it is

Things replaced just a month ago:

1. New Clutch
2. New Battery
3. Reprogram retrofit Bluetooth
Old 05-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by matt5' post='583196' date='May 18 2008, 08:16 PM
Rear seat/rear shelf area creaks like an old wooden boat when making left turns under certain circumstances when the car 'flexes' up incline/ decline then left turn. Driving me nuts Any one else with same problem (NOT from the door seals as that's been replaced / teflon taped, etc with no improvement). Is it reasonable if I ask the dealer to try replacing the shelf and/or seats? ongoing problem for 2 yrs now.
Have you thought it could be the seal of the trunk hood. Try lubricating it. Works for me.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Members

My Ride: Titanium Silver 2004 525i, style 116 alloys,

Same problem here
Old 05-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by Markymark' post='583212' date='May 18 2008, 08:41 PM
Same problem here
Well... Try lubricating the trunk seal. In my case I couldn't believe that was the reason before I tried some thick silicone into it.
You can't loose anything
Old 05-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 525i Jet Black. Pics will be posted soon!!

Originally Posted by thefleet' post='583203' date='May 18 2008, 02:28 PM
My car is at the dealer for the same exact issue. They said its the door seals first, now yesterday they called me and said its some other kind of seal they have special ordered. I will post again once I get my car back.

So far these things are getting replaced on a 04 530i with approx 30K miles:

1. Steering Wheel Column
2. New Brake Pads
3. Door Seals?
4. A Really Strange Noise from the passanger wheel well, techs at the dealership cannot figure out what it is

Things replaced just a month ago:

1. New Clutch
2. New Battery
3. Reprogram retrofit Bluetooth
I think i have that same problem with the passenger wheel. Does it sound like some sort of humming noise????
Old 05-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Members

My Ride: Expected delivery on 15 Jan 2007 525I Olivian Green, Beige Interior, PP, CWP, PDC, SP, Rear shades,heated rear seats, Ipod fitted, Nav, Oem Rims 166, Xenon Lights, Wood grain package, illuminated door sills

Same problem here with some creaking when turing. I am going ot my dealer this weekend and inquire about it.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

no creaking noice. BUt defintely had a rattle coming from thje rear parcel shelf when i hit rough parts of the road. Took it to the dealer, they put some velcro around the clips that attach the rear parcel shelf reasr defroster/vent. Defitnely dampened the rattle, but now I can hear the fabric rubbing once and awhile. Will mention it again when I take it in for service. There have been many threads regarding creaking or rattling from the rear of the car. Some have posted DIY for the parcel shelf rattle, other possible causes as mentioned are the door seals or the suspension....defitnely a few threads about nosies coming from the back of the car...GL...

**I was the one to suggest to the service tech to take a look at the parcel shelf (thanx to this forum). Prior to that all the tech wanted to do was tighten the back shocks and not check anything else. If and when you do take it to the dealer print out a few threads that have similar issues and fixes...it helped for me...GL
Old 05-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Members

Update - insisted that the shop foreman drive with me to hear the creaking nose + chirping noise both from back seat area....in fact confirmed that it was comingfrom upper portion of back seat itself, he then readjusted and/or lubed the seat (I lost track of the actual work order sorry). For first time in 3 years, noise is gone! I can't f---ing believe it, it took 3 years to convince the service advisors that there was a problem, let alone take it seriously and do something about it besides saying its 'normal' or 'can't reproduce' or "sure its the door seals" even when I suggested it was not. anyways, just happy so far its gone, I hope this may help others that are experiencing same problem.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the noise with the rear seats as well. The noise is produced with the car flexes while driving. I believe some products you would use to clean the seats makes the leather on leather produce a cracking noise.

Using a leather paste, apply it any place where leather meets leather. Even removing the rear seat itself and applying the paste to the rear edge of the seat and below the seat back were the two components meet. Also, apply inside the seat cut outs for the seat belt restraint connectors. I have the split fold down seats, so it was applied between the seat backs and center arm rest.

Some liquid cleaners work temporarily, however the paste doesn?t dry and keeps it quiet.

Quick Reply: more creaking complaints