E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

More 550 rough idle/ cold engine problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 09:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Dealer still cant seem to figure out my issue. Maybe someone has seen this?

When the engine is cold, I get kind of a herky-jerky sensation from the car when slightly backing out of the driveway.

When I am driving through the neighborhood at 20 - 25 mph, at 1000-1500 rpms under slight acceleration, the car makes this rough rumbling sound and I have to get on the gas to push through it on acceleration. I am not sure if it is pinging or deiseling, but it is noticable by any passengers in the car.

This problem has happened every day for the past two weeks since they upgraded the software in my car. The tech says he cant feel anything...they tried two days in a row at a cold start. I picked up the car last night and started it this morning and what do you know...right on cue...its rumbling.

Is this normal? I see others are having similar issues...
Old 06-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GSXR_Drew' post='435773' date='Jun 14 2007, 12:56 PM
Hi All,

When the engine is cold, I get kind of a herky-jerky sensation from the car when slightly backing out of the driveway.

When I am driving through the neighborhood at 20 - 25 mph, at 1000-1500 rpms under slight acceleration, the car makes this rough rumbling sound and I have to get on the gas to push through it on acceleration. I am not sure if it is pinging or deiseling, but it is noticable by any passengers in the car.

This problem has happened every day for the past two weeks since they upgraded the software in my car. The tech says he cant feel anything...they tried two days in a row at a cold start. I picked up the car last night and started it this morning and what do you know...right on cue...its rumbling.

I wonder if you got bad gas. Could be water in your gas tank? Id run it down and refuel somewhere else and try it.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Senior Members

I have the same thing. The car tends to tell like its either vibrating or it has a rough idle. Make sure you use ONLY Shell V-Power gasoline, it is approved by BMW and contains 0 ethanol. Ethanol is in alot of Gasolines and the BMW engines are not designed to run on ethanol, hense why sometimes it may idle rough. Remember, it is 360 horsepower!
Old 06-20-2007, 09:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Titanium Silver/Black, 6-Sp Steptronic, Sport Package, HD Radio, Sirius, Premium Sound, GPS Nav, Cold Pkg, cell phone cradle, iPod through the AUX port 1976 Datsun 280Z, Charcoal/Black, 5-Sp Manual, A/C, American Mags, CD, Tom Tom 930 GPS (works better than the BMW!) and the rest is pretty much stock

Originally Posted by GSXR_Drew' post='435773' date='Jun 14 2007, 01:56 PM
Hi All,

I had the same problem when I first purchased mine, the dealer upgraded the progman and it went away for about 7 months but is now back again. I think I'm going to take the suggestion about using Shell V-Power for a couple of tanks and see if that may fix it. Every car I've ever owned seemed to run better on Shell for some reason and I think I made a mistake by not using it from the start. I'll advise you if I see a difference.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

I am having exactly the same problem with my vehicle, which is now in for service and am wondering if the issue is now resolved. If it is, what did the service guy do to fix it?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:15 AM
Members

My Ride: Fully Loaded Monaco Blue 550i Sport

I think i have the same issue... also when i start the car after it has been sitting for a while the rpms jump up and down but after a few mins of driving everything goes back to normal.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NY550i' post='456185' date='Aug 7 2007, 12:15 PM
I think i have the same issue... also when i start the car after it has been sitting for a while the rpms jump up and down but after a few mins of driving everything goes back to normal.
There is definitely a problem common to our MY. NY550i, have you brought this up with your SA? I hope it is solved today when I pick it up from Prestige today.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Carbon Black Metallic with Black Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, NAV, Cold-Weather Package, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Side Impact Airbags, Sirius, iPod/USB Adapter,
Model Year: 2008

1600: How do you like Prestige service, their Porsche division service S**KS.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by yayankee' post='456222' date='Aug 7 2007, 01:53 PM
1600: How do you like Prestige service, their Porsche division service S**KS.
My experience with Prestige BMW has been extremely positive.
Concerning this issue, they have contacted BMWNA and a rather extensive computer software change is underway as I write this. The vehicle will need to be at Prestige for an extra day. I'm hoping for a good result.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by geokr1' post='437797' date='Jun 20 2007, 01:07 PM
I had the same problem when I first purchased mine, the dealer upgraded the progman and it went away for about 7 months but is now back again. I think I'm going to take the suggestion about using Shell V-Power for a couple of tanks and see if that may fix it. Every car I've ever owned seemed to run better on Shell for some reason and I think I made a mistake by not using it from the start. I'll advise you if I see a difference.
I have never used Shell V-Power in my car and have never had the problem as described. I use primarily BP (Amoco) and occassionally Chevron. The only issue I've ever had with a rough engine is after the car sits for more that just a couple of days. After sitting for a prolonged period of time the car runs rough when first started and then smooths out when the engine warms up. No problems after that.

Quick Reply: More 550 rough idle/ cold engine problems?