E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A month into ownership..

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008 | 12:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Popcorn's giving me gas....sorry (hold your breath)

Dirk, sorry about your car man. It really sux to buy such an expensive vehicle and have it turn out to be a lemon. It sounds like all problems are stemming from a bad CCC. Forget your local dealers and try calling around in the US/European markets for a suitable CCC. I'm headed back to Atlantis The Palm on Sunday the 7th to finish training and installing there. I'll be in Dubai for another 8 day stint. If there is a used unit you can find and purchase somewhere near the SoCal area, I'll be glad to pack it up and bring it with me. No BS - We're all family here. As you know the Atlantis opens on the 25th, but I'll be staying there again. Just so you know I'll really be there, here's a pic from last week's visit:

Either way, good luck to you. Keep us posted on how this turns out for you.
Old 09-01-2008 | 12:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='658997' date='Sep 1 2008, 04:05 AM
Popcorn's giving me gas....sorry (hold your breath)

Dirk, sorry about your car man. It really sux to buy such an expensive vehicle and have it turn out to be a lemon. It sounds like all problems are stemming from a bad CCC. Forget your local dealers and try calling around in the US/European markets for a suitable CCC. I'm headed back to Atlantis The Palm on Sunday the 7th to finish training and installing there. I'll be in Dubai for another 8 day stint. If there is a used unit you can find and purchase somewhere near the SoCal area, I'll be glad to pack it up and bring it with me. No BS - We're all family here. As you know the Atlantis opens on the 25th, but I'll be staying there again. Just so you know I'll really be there, here's a pic from last week's visit:

Maybe Pukka would like to make nice to Dirk by purchasing the part and flying it over to in Dubai. Afterward they could go out for popcorn together like girly-man buds do. Sorry, I couldn't resist. It is 4am and I'm just punchy.
Old 09-01-2008 | 12:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by bimmerlust' post='659008' date='Sep 1 2008, 01:32 AM
Maybe Pukka would like to make nice to Dirk by purchasing the part and flying it over to in Dubai. Afterward they could go out for popcorn together like girly-man buds do. Sorry, I couldn't resist. It is 4am and I'm just punchy.

Now, now - be nice. It's your second post. However, you can earn "punchy points" by donating HERE!. You'll even get these cool WINDOW CLINGS in the process

PS - Welcome to the forums
Old 09-01-2008 | 12:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='659011' date='Sep 1 2008, 04:40 AM
Now, now - be nice. It's your second post. However, you can earn "punchy points" by donating HERE!. You'll even get these cool WINDOW CLINGS in the process

PS - Welcome to the forums
thx for the welcome - good to know there are fellow insomniacs around! anyway, this thread had so much testosterone that I thought it needed a little estrogen to cool it down LOL!
Old 09-01-2008 | 01:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

What happened with this thread is truly unfortunate. Dirk created it to get some advice/help on what to do, and in turn he received nasty comments from someone who didn't appreciate the length and descriptive of his post. It's bad enough that Dirk is having some serious problems with his car. Dirk, there are many members who would be more than happy to give you advice and help. Some will be willing to go further like, advancedlogic. Most of the members on this forum are great folks! Don't get discouraged and good luck in rectifying your problem with the 545i!
Old 09-01-2008 | 01:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Dirk: Take it to a very good mechanic shop and see if they can go thru it and see what's wrong with it. Or you could also take it back to the place you bought it and have them solve it.

Let us know how it goes...

EDIT: Is the car brandnew? If so, DEMAND that they fix it or give you a car that's not a lemon!
Old 09-01-2008 | 07:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='658556
Dirk, I think you should sell the car while it's still holding together by a thread and get another one. Most E60's run perfectly so something really serious is wrong with that car. You might want to take it up with the company that sold you that car and see what your options are.

Hope your situation improves and we can see posts from you on how to mod your car!
Selling it is looking more and more likely right now. I love the car but I need reliability and I'd much rather not spend my cash on keeping it going, but modding it!

I bought it off a third party - a really nice Iranian lady. I put a call into her today and she feels horrible about how the car has been, and swears she's never had any problems with it. She's going to ask her husband if they can contribute to the repairs but I'm not holding my breath.

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='658997
He could use a hug, that's for sure! But if it's all the same, I'd leave that for someone else to take care of .

So plan of action so far is to drop it into the mechanic and leave it with him before I leave for Vegas, have him do a detailed check and come up with a needed parts list and local prices to that cost list - I'll shop around in Vegas and see if I can do better. That should whittle the costs down, depending on what I really need done.

Talked to a guy at the BMW parts store I found and he was telling me a story that the dealer tried the charge him 2.3k US to tighten a ground wire (obviously they were going to replace stuff, but the end problem was a ground wire). So at this point, I don't trust the dealer for crap.

Either way I'm planning on selling it come year end bonus time - In the UAE, your car has to be paid off before you can sell it so I'll clear out the remaining balance with the bonus and just dump it - use the money to pick up a desert spec 550 from Vegas or Arizona. Convincing my wife that we can wait a bit on the sail boat will be, uh.. entertaining! I figure I'll use the "But honey, I need a reliable and safe car to take the new baby around in!". It'll either work or I'll get punched in the neck.

I really appreciate the advice and support - Just donated a wad, as this is by far one of the best internet community I've had the pleasure to take part in. Thanks all .
Old 09-01-2008 | 07:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Dirk~

If you are going to be in the states, try contacting Garry and BMW of Newport. Garry is the parts manager there and forum members get a 25% discount. Other forum members have said that Garry has awesome prices on BMW parts!

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=18067

Check out the thread. BigMike bought a set of 166 M wheels from him at a really good price. Give Garry a shout and see what he can do for you.
Old 09-02-2008 | 10:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='658997' date='Sep 1 2008, 12:05 PM
As you know the Atlantis opens on the 25th, but I'll be staying there again. Just so you know I'll really be there, here's a pic from last week's visit:

Hah, the day after I comment on their shit fire protection, they have a fire in the lobby. All I have to say is... hahaha (no one got hurt). What's cheap will cost ya!

Anyway,

The people I bought the car from contacted me today and in the spirit of the holy month of Ramadan, they are splitting all the repair costs with me. Pretty astonishing as they have no actual motivation to do so (other than just being decent people).

With that said, I found a guy in Ajman who's got a couple of CCC units. He's going to deliver them to the garage and I'm going to try them out when I get back from Vegas. He's selling it to me for 600 bucks if I decide to keep one of them. The garage owner is going to hunt down the couple other parts I need. He figures I'll end up less than a grand out of pocket for parts, and figure 400 for labor, if that. He also did a indepth inspection into the car and says it's in good shape otherwise, hard to tell though.

I'm still planning on turning it over once I get my year end bonus. If I can land this huge project I've been chasing for a few months, I may just treat myself with an Alpina B5 ;P. One can hope!!
Old 09-02-2008 | 11:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Ahh... another happy ending, sort of, to a popcorn flying thread.

Dirk, my Amethyst Gray brother, I hope everything works out the best for you. Good luck and keep us posted with progress.

Quick Reply: A month into ownership..