E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Moisture inside rear floor

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 07:29 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2005
Default Moisture inside rear floor

Got a 2005 530i, I have been checking why I get moisture on the inside windows. Found the rear left carpet wet but only on top and not below carpet. The outside window gasket looks little bit out of alignment, otherwise I cannot see where the water is coming from. No trail I can find. Our next step is to hose down the outside while one is inside and try to find the entry point. Any ideas where this is coming from or where to look.

Thank you.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:25 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

The vapor barrier sheet behind the door cards sometimes loose there adhesion across the bottom behind the card. The root of the problem is the drains in the bottom of the doors are restricted. Open the affected door and from the outside, rub and gently push the weather stripping back and see if you don't get some water to start runout of the drain holes. Road dirt and grime gets thrown up under the door lodging on the outside of the weather stripping, running across the bottom of the door, forms a restriction to the doors draining.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:41 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing
The vapor barrier sheet behind the door cards sometimes loose there adhesion across the bottom behind the card. The root of the problem is the drains in the bottom of the doors are restricted. Open the affected door and from the outside, rub and gently push the weather stripping back and see if you don't get some water to start runout of the drain holes. Road dirt and grime gets thrown up under the door lodging on the outside of the weather stripping, running across the bottom of the door, forms a restriction to the doors draining.

Thank you. Went out and looked at it. Water is coming in from between the door cover and actual door and will go straight into the interior. Will have to open up the door. So, beside the plastic I need to look where the water is coming in, right? The plastic is only last line of defense right?
Old 07-26-2016, 10:29 AM
New Members

Looking at some online videos. Looks like fixing the vapor barrier could fix this. But we need to find the ultimate problem water getting in, right? The vapor barrier is not a water barrier instead just a vapor barrier.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:39 AM
Members
Senior Members

You want to clean the drains in the bottom of the door. From my earlier post, starting with; Open the affected door etc, etc. clean the bottom of the door from the outside with it open. The black weather seal is encrusted with dirt and is like cement. Clean it off, clean the gasket/weatherstripping and watch the water flow out of the door. Don't take the door cards off and leave the vapor barrier alone. Clean all 4 doors and when you wash your car, while your drying it, open the doors and wipe down there to keep it clean, problem solved.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:57 AM
New Members

You want to clean the drains in the bottom of the door. From my earlier post, starting with; Open the affected door etc, etc. clean the bottom of the door from the outside with it open. The black weather seal is encrusted with dirt and is like cement. Clean it off, clean the gasket/weatherstripping and watch the water flow out of the door. Don't take the door cards off and leave the vapor barrier alone. Clean all 4 doors and when you wash your car, while your drying it, open the doors and wipe down there to keep it clean, problem solved.
But I can see water lines coming from between door panel and door on the bottom. The seals are pretty clean. Water is getting between door panel and vapor barrier, then into car.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:10 AM
Members
Senior Members

From outside the car. Open the door and still from the outside of the car, reach down and find the weatherstripping. Dirt from the road gets thrown up and lodges on the bottom of the door and the weatherstripping. It blocks the drain holes which are just under the frontside of the weatherstripping.

If you run water down the outside of the window, when it is up, water will run down the glass and into the inside cavity of the door. From there, if the drains in the bottom of the door are not restricted, the water runs out. If the drains are restricted, the water backs up and flows into the car. The fix is to clean the drains and keep them open.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:20 AM
New Members

From outside the car. Open the door and still from the outside of the car, reach down and find the weatherstripping. Dirt from the road gets thrown up and lodges on the bottom of the door and the weatherstripping. It blocks the drain holes which are just under the frontside of the weatherstripping.

If you run water down the outside of the window, when it is up, water will run down the glass and into the inside cavity of the door. From there, if the drains in the bottom of the door are not restricted, the water runs out. If the drains are restricted, the water backs up and flows into the car. The fix is to clean the drains and keep them open.
I will check tonight. Thank you.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:52 PM
Members
Senior Members

You are certainly welcome sir.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:12 PM
New Members

You are certainly welcome sir.
Difficult to explain. Water is coming in from outer weather stripping that for some reason does not meet with car frame and creates a small gap. Top left just next to driver door. I ordered a cover tonight (OEM) so I can prevent flooding until the car gets a garage again. Thank you for all the help.

Quick Reply: Moisture inside rear floor