E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Mods or be practical...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

My car is 06' 525i. It has about 60K miles and running fine. BMW checked it out a month ago and gave it a clean bill of health. It has a new thermostat, ignition coil replaced last year, and passenger occupancy matt replaced a few months ago.

Anyway, my CPO is ending around end of January. I plan on keeping the car for awhile and I plan to put around 9K (at MOST) miles per year on it. Should I get extended warranty on it? I can do most of the regular maintenance myself. I'm mostly worried about electrical, engine, and transmission problems.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by balbs
My car is 06' 525i. It has about 60K miles and running fine. BMW checked it out a month ago and gave it a clean bill of health. It has a new thermostat, ignition coil replaced last year, and passenger occupancy matt replaced a few months ago.

Anyway, my CPO is ending around end of January. I plan on keeping the car for awhile and I plan to put around 9K (at MOST) miles per year on it. Should I get extended warranty on it? I can do most of the regular maintenance myself. I'm mostly worried about electrical, engine, and transmission problems.
Only if I had a problematic car would I ever extend a warranty.

Warranties are insurance against problems. It's a gamble for you and the provider, a gamble in which YOU have the upper hand because you know your car better than they do. Is the car in great shape? If so, roll the dice and bypass it. If not, get the piece-of-mind insurance called "extended warranty".

Mods would be another reason not to extend it, unless you can easily remove evidence of them mods before taking it in for service.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Personally, I would NEVER own a BMW outside of warranty! Here's an example of why, some years ago I owned an E53 X5, loved the car, ran perfectly, out of warranty until one day.....The car started to shift roughly, so I took it to the dealer, an hour later I got the call, the transmission needed to be replaced, the transmission replacement ran $7,500.00!! Needless to say it wasn't worth the cost of the repair (with 120,000+ miles on the clock), so we ended up replacing the car on the spot (substantially MORE than the repair price)....all in all a pretty bad day! Do what you want, but as I said before, I would NEVER own a BMW out of warranty again! I will also mention, I have a friend at Mercury Insurance who sells aftermarket warranties that are superior to those offered by BMW and LESS expensive too! Several other members here have bought policies from him too! PM me if you are interested!
Old 01-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Check the fine print on anything you get... many of these aftermarket warranties have caveats on what and how much is covered. For me, I drive too many miles to have one... at 30k+ per year I would run the mileage long before the time lapses...