E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MISSING Bootlid switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 06:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

In certain markets, E60s are shipped without this switch (usually near the bonnet release near the OBD cover).

My bootlid is always locked and everytime I need to open the boot, I would have to stop the engine, remove the key and remotely release the bootlid (dosen't work when the key is in and the engine is on). This is so inconvenient.

I am wondering if anyone knows if E60s that dosen't come with the switch in the driver's compartment has the necessary wiring to allow a retrofit. The switch manifold/holder is there but the switch is not!
Attached Thumbnails MISSING Bootlid switch-dsc00984a.jpg  
Old 05-12-2004, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

I can only agree with you.

I?ve asked my dealer what they mean by not providing this switch.

He had no answer, just agreed with med that it was very stupid. I asked him about the wiring but haven?t heard anything yet.

Why is it there in the US models and not in the European????
Old 05-12-2004, 07:48 AM
Senior Members

Angry

None in Asian models as well. But u CAN press the door "lock/unlock" button (one below the hazard button) to unlock the trunk w/o stoping the engine and pulling out the key.

Bunbun
Old 05-12-2004, 07:49 AM
stu
Members

"My bootlid is always locked and everytime I need to open the boot, I would have to stop the engine, remove the key and remotely release the bootlid (dosen't work when the key is in and the engine is on). This is so inconvenient."

I agree - but am confused - since mine is uk and has the button.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

If you use the lock/unlock button on the dash - it only unlocks the boolid, it doesn?t swing open!
Old 05-12-2004, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by stu' date='May 12 2004, 09:49 AM
" remove the key and remotely release the bootlid (dosen't work when the key is in and the engine is on). This is so inconvenient."
You don't need the key, just press the switch on the back of the trunk!!!
Old 05-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Senior Members

the whole point is that if, like me, you have the boot physically locked (as in with the keyhole slot turned to, if i recall, horizontal position) then unlock anything you want - the boot will not open from outside...

to do so, with the boot physically locked & without a boot release button, one must stop the car, turn it off and remove the key - - only then will holding the boot release switch on the key open the trunk -- and if you don't do all that you CANNOT in any other way open the boot...

which is why the lack of a boot release switch is just stupid, particularly when it clearly comes on some cars via geographic distribution and even one here in the UK
Old 05-12-2004, 07:23 PM

Lightbulb

*Agree* Hope there will be a dealer install option up coming. I do see a space which looks like a prep for such button. Maybe for the time being, dont lock the truck (boot) just for convenience sake.

Bunbun
Old 05-12-2004, 11:56 PM
Senior Members

the convenience diminishes as the dude runs down Victoria Street with my laptop, snagged at a redlight as he walks up to the car, opens the boot, grabs and runs...

i don't really like to lock the doors always as i drive (and not necessary, security-wise here: i am not downtown Miami or neighbourhood Chicago but they still steal stuff)
Old 05-13-2004, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If I understand things correctly, the trunklid switch in the interior of the car won't open the trunk if the key was used to manually lock it (horizontal position of key).

The reason is to be able to secure the contents of the trunk from valets. In other words, you can lock the glove box and trunk with the master key and give the valet/wallet key to a parking attendant. Your valuables in the trunk will be secure because even though the valet has access to the release button in the interior of the cabin, it won't open the trunk.

I haven't actually tested my logic on my car but it makes sense that it would work this way. If I'm right, then the absence of the switch isn't a real problem.

I will say that I've had the switch on 3 5-series cars since 1998 and can count on one hand the times I used it.

I do have one question for Olivin, why do you always keep the trunk locked? The only reason I can think of is if you use valet parking often. If not, then I can't really think of a benefit to manually locking it or a downside to leaving it unlocked.

Quick Reply: MISSING Bootlid switch