E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2004 545....Been getting a misfire on cylinder #5 at idle....I have replaced all the spark plugs and Have swapped the coil around to other cylinders but it always comes up on cyliunder #5 confirming that it is not the coil. I'll clear the fault and it won't come back for a while. Anyone have this before and find the culprit? I'm thinking fuel injector...
Old 11-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Members

It could be fuel injector but it could also be due to your air intake. I know it sounds funny but you will only know until you hook it up to a BMW diagnostic machine. I have seen many things similar in the past. The fact that it is happening only at idle and the fact says to me to look at your intake...entire airbox tubing and possibly the manifold portion. I'm not sure what is telling you that it's just a misfire in that cylinder, but I would assume it's a generic code reader. You probably do not have the ability to shut down each cylinder at a time while running to actually test this unless you have diagnostic equipment. You could always take it to a Indy shop or to Dealer to hook it up to the appropriate diagnosis equipment to give you the end result but you'll pay. Be aware that once the dealer gets your car and hook it up they will put your car on "lock-down" in regards to programming. you will be required to go to the dealer for everything in the future unless your indy shop has big $$$ to spend on the same equipment dealer is offered by BMWNA. had a few cars like this in the past week where I was able to read CKM on their vehicle but not re-code anything due to the dealer updating their vehicle with ICOM/A.

In short, I have seen in the past where it appears to be only 1 cylinder at idle because of the threshold but when you read the values ALL cylinders are misfiring and this was due to a faulty intake component.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EUAutoHaus
It could be fuel injector but it could also be due to your air intake. I know it sounds funny but you will only know until you hook it up to a BMW diagnostic machine. I have seen many things similar in the past. The fact that it is happening only at idle and the fact says to me to look at your intake...entire airbox tubing and possibly the manifold portion. I'm not sure what is telling you that it's just a misfire in that cylinder, but I would assume it's a generic code reader. You probably do not have the ability to shut down each cylinder at a time while running to actually test this unless you have diagnostic equipment. You could always take it to a Indy shop or to Dealer to hook it up to the appropriate diagnosis equipment to give you the end result but you'll pay. Be aware that once the dealer gets your car and hook it up they will put your car on "lock-down" in regards to programming. you will be required to go to the dealer for everything in the future unless your indy shop has big $$$ to spend on the same equipment dealer is offered by BMWNA. had a few cars like this in the past week where I was able to read CKM on their vehicle but not re-code anything due to the dealer updating their vehicle with ICOM/A.

In short, I have seen in the past where it appears to be only 1 cylinder at idle because of the threshold but when you read the values ALL cylinders are misfiring and this was due to a faulty intake component.
I have inpa and dis on my laptop....I have read the cylinder values in Inpa and they are all within limits which leads me to believe its not mechanical such as a burnt valve or low compression
...I have been reading g the code with a generic scanner to read the misfire because its quick.....anything else I should look for?