E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Minor Brake Squeeling

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i Manual Sport
Model Year: 2007
Engine: 4.8 L N62 V8

My brakes are in pretty good shape and are not due for service for another 10,000 miles. However, recently i've been hearing some squeeling noises from brakes. Does anyone know what i can do to get rid of that noise? Though it is low, its very annoying..

thanks
Old 07-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

This works for me on some brake systems, especially if you do not drive your car hard.

Gets the brakes nice and hot (not overheating hot, but hotter than normal) then let them cool down.

Pretty simple.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:39 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Get some brake cleaner from any auto store like Auto Zone and spray them down. Really dusty brakes tend to squeal.
If you replace them make sure to use enough brake anti squeal on the outside of the pads.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Make sure it is not the brake sensors. If it happens at very low speed just before coming to a stop, it might be the sensors. As I recall, it is more of an electronic tone than a true metallic brake squeal.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Banned

BMW dealer always recomended a good powerwash with water of the brake disc area to get rid of the dust caught in various places. Then you want to give a couple hard breaks to the point your breaking hard but not engagin abs. Do it from about 65 mph and do it 3 or 4 times once the breaks dry from the washing. If you repeat that process 2 or three days in a row and no change then your probably looking at a sensor or loose clip that holds the sensor in place-both are fixes for less than 40 dollars of parts.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
Make sure it is not the brake sensors. If it happens at very low speed just before coming to a stop, it might be the sensors. As I recall, it is more of an electronic tone than a true metallic brake squeal.
I'm not sure about describing it as an "electronic Tone" but it does only happen at very low speeds just before stopping. You are probably right about it being the sensors. My warranty just expired so i do not want to waste money at the dealer if its just a simple fix. Do you think its DYI job, Dealer Job, or local brake shop job?

Thanks for your help fellas...
Old 07-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

There are no metal brake sensors like the typical american or Japanese car. On the BMW it is electronic and they don't squeal.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Senior Members

What do you guys mean abt the sensors, I too have noticed the same sound, it def does NOT sound like worn brakes, also I noticed some slight discoloration on my rotor
Old 07-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by healthservices
There are no metal brake sensors like the typical american or Japanese car. On the BMW it is electronic and they don't squeal.
so than what do u propose i do to fix it? DYI, Dealer, or local brake shop?

and if its an electronic tone that i'm hearing, does that it has some sort of small speakers located on the outside of the car that generate that sound? If it does, that is amazing. I'm definitely hearing it on the outside of the car, not inside.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
Not sure of what "electronic tone" you're talking about but, I think the only audible noise you'll hear from a bad/low break pad are from the breaks themselves i.e. break squeal. The sensors (when worn) can and will cause some squeal.

Originally Posted by Diamond
If you repeat that process 2 or three days in a row and no change then your probably looking at a sensor or loose clip that holds the sensor in place-both are fixes for less than 40 dollars of parts.
Based on my experience on changing out the pads and sensors, the sensors are positioned onto the breakpad plate by friction fit only (there is a notch on the outer part of pad where the sensor fits nicely into). I didn't see any "clips," atleast on mine I didn't.

Originally Posted by healthservices
Are you talking about those metal or should I say steel "flags" you sometimes find on some pads? If so then you're right. But we do have metal sensor, just not the "flag" type you see on some pads. Our sensors appear to look like it's made of plastic until the sleeve is broken off by contacting the rotor. Once it''s broken it'll expose the "metal," thus causing the current to ground and give you an Idrive message. Correct me if I'm wrong but that is how I understand the sensor to work.

Originally Posted by Isaiah_Charles
What do you guys mean abt the sensors, I too have noticed the same sound, it def does NOT sound like worn brakes, also I noticed some slight discoloration on my rotor
There are 2 sensors, one on the front driver side wheel and the other on the rear pass side. It's a simple grounding wire, that's all.
Try bedding in your brakes: http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm Good luck

Quick Reply: Minor Brake Squeeling