E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Black 530i, Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Nav

Just purchased the Michelin Sport A/S's for my 2004 530i after using the Dunlap Run Flats for 13k miles....the road noise was unbearable. The guy at the tire shop tried to convince me not to get the Michelins as they were non runflats and that if i were to ever get a flat tire they wouldn't be able to hold the weight of the car and i'd be responsible for any damage, blah blah blah. His other quote to me was "I work alot with BMW and know that they wouldn't be happy with you putting these tires on." I was ready to walk out of there....but told him to get the Michelins on their ASAP.

is this guy just trying to be a know it all....do all 2004 530's have run flats installed? I seriously doubt BMW designed their entire E60 line around the fact that the car could only operate normally on run flat tires. By the time he was done talking, he was making me question my purchase....however the one reason i went with the Michelin's is that a lot of other drivers on this board have done the same.

Did i make the wrong decision here?

Now that they're on, the ride is great, and there's virtually no road noise. I love them.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Non-sport package cars have regular all season non-runflat tires. Only cars with the sport package come with runflats. I believe the new 3 series is all runflat only.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Welcome to the forum jbgoodma!

There's no problem with putting non-runflats on the car -- but you should at least have a spare tire in the well to be safe. Depending on the country you're in (and you might want to add your location to your profile so we can better answer your questions), you may or may not have a spare tire. Obviously, if you have no spare, runflats would be a good idea. If you have a spare, then by all means you can do what you want.

One thing you might not be aware of since you are new to the forum -- BMW has been replacing Dunlop runflats on a case by case basis due to extreme tread roar. Depending on how many miles you have, you might be entitled to reimbursement of some type.

If I were you, I'd do a search on these forums to see what many of us have gone through to get new tires. If you think you want to take this to BMW, you better act fast since you'll need to prove how many miles are on your noisy tires (hope the Michelin dealer saved them).

Good luck!
Old 05-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Sounds like he was trying to upsell you to a more expensive tire.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 7 2005, 07:46 PM
Welcome to the forum jbgoodma!

There's no problem with putting non-runflats on the car -- but you should at least have a spare tire in the well to be safe.? Depending on the country you're in (and you might want to add your location to your profile so we can better answer your questions), you may or may not have a spare tire.? Obviously, if you have no spare, runflats would be a good idea.? If you have a spare, then by all means you can do what you want.

One thing you might not be aware of since you are new to the forum -- BMW has been replacing Dunlop runflats on a case by case basis due to extreme tread roar.? Depending on how many miles you have, you might be entitled to reimbursement of some type.

If I were you, I'd do a search on these forums to see what many of us have gone through to get new tires.? If you think you want to take this to BMW, you better act fast since you'll need to prove how many miles are on your noisy tires (hope the Michelin dealer saved them).

Good luck!
[snapback]125595[/snapback]
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my car, on the OEM wheels for my 'winter' setup. I can tell you first of all that there are no problems whatsoever with switching from the runflats to normal tires.

The ride is significantly different with the Michelins. Since the sidewalls are much, much softer, the ride is much more compliant, and very pleasant. The turn-in is nowhere near as precise with the Michelin A/S tires. I would guess it's the difference in sidewall stiffness. The tires are also somewhat noisier than the runflats were when new. They are definitely noisier than my 19" Goodyears.

Overall, I would not trade in the runflats for the Michelins if I wasn't having major problems with the runflats. The Michelins are just too damn soft, and really take away from the precision of the handling IMO.

If you're really serious about upgrading, I would get some good 19" wheels and tires from Tirerack, for about $2500 for the package. This will absolutely transform your car, and IMO is the best money you can spend for a performance upgrade.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jbgoodma' date='May 7 2005, 09:32 PM
Just purchased the Michelin Sport A/S's for my 2004 530i after using the Dunlap Run Flats for 13k miles....the road noise was unbearable. The guy at the tire shop tried to convince me not to get the Michelins as they were non runflats and that if i were to ever get a flat tire they wouldn't be able to hold the weight of the car and i'd be responsible for any damage, blah blah blah. His other quote to me was "I work alot with BMW and know that they wouldn't be happy with you putting these tires on." I was ready to walk out of there....but told him to get the Michelins on their ASAP.

is this guy just trying to be a know it all....do all 2004 530's have run flats installed? I seriously doubt BMW designed their entire E60 line around the fact that the car could only operate normally on run flat tires. By the time he was done talking, he was making me question my purchase....however the one reason i went with the Michelin's is that a lot of other drivers on this board have done the same.

Did i make the wrong decision here?

Now that they're on, the ride is great, and there's virtually no road noise. I love them.
[snapback]125588[/snapback]
Did exactly what you did after getting recommendation from my tire shop..I simply love those michelin's ! great in rain, great ride, no noise..and they get better with time... had mine for 10,000 miles now..just great ..don t worry about it and enjoy...the shop you dealt with probably had some other angle in mind..
Old 05-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Black 530i, Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Nav

thanks for all the great feedback and the welcome to the forums. Definitely thinking about 19's down the road with some Hartge wheels, for now i'll enjoy the soft ride on my new michelin's
Old 05-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Senior Members

Hi jdgoodma and welcome. Michelin makes fantastic tyres. Don't worry about non-run flats, etc. Just ensure you have a spare in your trunk; oh, don't forget to get a set of tools for tyre changing.

Anyway, the advantage of run flats is that you can safely drive to the nearest tyre shop and get it repaired, whereas with non-runflats, you will have to change your tyre as soon as they deflate. Also please bear in mind that if you hit a screw or nail, your tyre will not deflate immediately. It will be gradual thus giving you time (hopefully) to get to the nearest shop.

Don't worry too much about it.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Members

Hey jbgoodma,

If you want tires that have no road noise and handle like a BMW should, then you should purchase MICHELIN PILOT PS2s. I have them on my car and they are the best.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Members

Another vote for the Michelin Pilot Sports A/S 18"s. I actually downgraded to them after experiencing too harsh a ride with 19" Pirelli P Zeros. Though the Pirellis were a faster tire, I've found the improved handling during the rain and the greater comfort of 18s to be personally more to my tastes. BTW, I now have 26K miles on my car and counting.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S