E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

mice in the car

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the same note, my neighbours went away for 3 weeks (they have a Mazda 3) a squirrel found its way and nested in the engine compartment (I don't exactly know where) and caused $1,200 in damage.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d M Sport 177BHP Jet Black Grey Dakota Leather MZ5P Media Package M676 HiFi Speakers M588 Electric Lumbar Supports M6FL USB Interface M439 Brushed Aluminium Trim

My little girl is available for hire where rodents are concerned.
mice in the car-picture_225.jpg
Old 09-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Contributors

Ohhhh boy! We discovered a similar situation when we retrieved a Toyota from a deceased relative's garage. It had been sitting unattended for more than 3 years. I towed it home and discovered that field mice had occupied or nested in every nook and cranny in the car.

Check every opening - no matter how small! The air breather and filter are first choices. Next the HVAC ducting. With any luck they didn't nest, reproduce, and DIE in the car [That was the worse] heating duct system . The fan blower cage was packed with UGH!! Dead Mice !

The best were the live ones that flew out of the exhaust system when we fired up the car for the first time

Get your shop vac + air compressor and suck and blow everywhere.

Next time you store your car out of doors for any length of time seal every opening - no matter how small. As for mothballs ... I don't think these really work but what the heck ... at least that smell is easier to take than decaying mice! The advice about cats is 200% correct. Even one that just wanders around your yard will reduce the rodent population! Just keep it hungry or they won't look for fresh food.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by bimmerlust' post='676858' date='Sep 24 2008, 08:19 AM
Okay, this is just sad to admit, but does anyone know how to prevent mice from nesting in a car? My aunt has a 1994 Z3 with only 24k miles on it. She does not have a garage, but has it sitting outside under a car cover. We drove it on Monday afternoon and there was chewed up insulation & mice poop in the passender floorboard indicating that mice have been in there. We live in the country so I'm honestly not sure how to prevent them from getting back in there. Anybody have any ideas?
Sorry to say but no solutions from here.

My brand new '99 320Ci did have a "old" mice nest under the plastic motor cover above the engine block.

The new BMW's are pretty much covered from underneath with plastic covers, but a mice can in anywhere.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

the same happened to my car chewed up the insulation
Old 09-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Contributors

How about trying one of those ultrasonic mice/rat repellers? You can get those at any home and garden shop. Save the receipt
Old 09-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I live in the hills where the mice abound, and the method I use, (aside from wrist shots into the wall), is to plant Mint around the yard. Mice don't like the smell of mint and so they will go to your neighbors car instead!
Old 09-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT, 1964 MBZ 220SEb Coupe, 1986 MBZ 300E and a 1997 Jeep Cherokee as my cottage car. Previous rides started with a 1947 Studebaker Commander convertible and included numerous Fords, VWs, MBZs, Saabs and, for added measure, a '61 Buick Special Wagon and Pontiac GTO.

...Though we had a mouse problem with our old '64 MB 220SE 4 Dr (The car had suffered through a number of midwest winters and had "some" rust so we finally stopped using the car in winter and parked it outside. We did, however, use the trunk to store seed we used in our bird feeders. In mid winter I went to the car to access the seed and found an empty 50 lb. bag. I never found where the seed had gone until spring when I removed the rear seat to install a pair of speakers in the parcel shelf; lo and behold, there was a large pile of sunflower seed). But, I digress. More recent problems have been with chipmunks to the tune of $800.00+ damage to the fuel pump and headlight wiring on our '86 MB 300E--acorns in every nook and cranny including the rear sub-frame. Stuffing mothballs in all those places in early fall and the car has had no further critter problems. At a MB Car Club tech meeting, I related the issue to a factory rep. and was told the problem was common with '80 and '90s European cars where a compound used in the wiring was particularly toothsome to marmots and other rodents. When our '03 Saab 95 ended up in Anchorage with our daughter and she took it to the dealer to install a recalled fuel line clip, the technician asked where outside of Alaska the car had originated because the rear- sub frame was stuffed with acorns and there are no maples in Anchorage area. Fortunately, there was no sign of any damage but, our northern Wisconsin chipmunks had struck again! Our '07 M61 is now in its second year here at our cottage and, from time to time, I see our resident chipmunks hopping up on the front tires to check out the engine compartment. However, I have yet to find a stash of acorns or any (knock on wood) damage. Could it be that the lack of a dip-stick keeps the little dip-s**ts away?
Al T.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

this is a disturbing topic.. never knew moth balls would stear away mice.. i heard that about cats pooping in your yard..lololololol... and im not sure id want that smell in my car.. PU.. like someone else said. what about some kind of sonar emitting device..lol.. or fogging the car.. being that she only drives it twice a year tops you said.. i would also try the mint like puck said.. at least her car will smell nice then
Old 09-25-2008, 04:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='677451' date='Sep 24 2008, 07:20 PM
I live in the hills where the mice abound, and the method I use, (aside from wrist shots into the wall), is to plant Mint around the yard. Mice don't like the smell of mint and so they will go to your neighbors car instead!
What do you do in the winter when the mint dies? Maybe I could buy some mint concentrate and soak a rag in it and put it in the floorboard and lay one on the engine???

Quick Reply: mice in the car