E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maunal transmission is awesome

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Just got my car today and I have to say those germans can sure build a transmission. Best I've driven. Good clutch engagment. Right size throws. Good placement. My buddy had an S2000 and the throws were too short. I ahd a GM (with a Getrag transmission but second gear felt like it was in the back seat. Anyway, just one more reason why I love my car. And my wife can drive a stick and there is nothing sexier than a woman who can handle a stick. Wait - that doesn't sound right.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:44 PM
Members

wait, does/didn't BMW outsource their transmissions?
Old 12-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='207745' date='Dec 5 2005, 11:41 PM
Just got my car today and I have to say those germans can sure build a transmission. Best I've driven. Good clutch engagment. Right size throws. Good placement. My buddy had an S2000 and the throws were too short. I ahd a GM (with a Getrag transmission but second gear felt like it was in the back seat. Anyway, just one more reason why I love my car. And my wife can drive a stick and there is nothing sexier than a woman who can handle a stick. Wait - that doesn't sound right.
I drove a stick 540 once at the request of an out-of-town friend who might have wanted the car. I thought it was a truely nice shifting car--outsourced or whatever.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

actually when I bought my oldsmobile with the manual transmission they said it was a getrag who also built transmissions for BMW. not sure if this is true.
anyone?anyone?bueller?

anyway - the transmissions are worlds apart
Old 12-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Members

Getrag, ZF and GM I believe to be the choice of BMW.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='207771' date='Dec 5 2005, 09:10 PM
actually when I bought my oldsmobile with the manual transmission they said it was a getrag who also built transmissions for BMW. not sure if this is true.
anyone?anyone?bueller?

Sadly the E60 does not have the Getrag tranny found on the E39 -- too bad because Getrags are top-notch. Smooth, rugged and totally dependable. Rock solid German technology.

The current generation E60 uses a ZF transmission setup.

The manual transmissions available on the 525i and 530i is the ZF Type-H 6spd manual transmission. The 545i has the ZF Type-G Manual, which is also a 6spd unit avaiable with the SMG feature. While the ZF Manual transmissions aren't bad, they aren't the best, which appears to be a cost saving measure. The M5 (I believe) gets the same Getrag Type-D series found on the E46 M3 SMG II.

The Automatic transmission available on all cars is the ZF 6 speed automatic unit, which is becomming the standard on almost all luxury vehicles.

The 545i 6spd needs an SSK ... still looking ...
Old 12-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Getreg all the way!! Man ZF!? No wonder we're all having transmission problems!
Old 12-06-2005, 04:06 AM
Members

My Ride: Delivery 11/30/05: 2006 - 550i 6-speed, Monaco Blue, Auburn, Antracite headliner, M aero, sport, nav, HUD, cold weather, sun shades, folding seat, rearseat heat and air bags, Logic 7, Serius, SR-7 Detector, M wheels Previous Ride - 2002 540 6-speed, sport, turning in with 114,000 wonderful miles

<_< I just upgraded(?) from a 540i 6-speed manual to a 550i 6-speed manual. I was un-aware that BMW had changed transmission sources, but it makes perfect sense. The 540 transwas fluid and switching gears could be done effortlessly. My new 550 is very notchy. Every gear change has to be much more deliberate.

Thus far, my baby is not broken in, I have ground the gears once already and haven't even tried to speed shift it. I was hoping this notchyness would go away once it was broken in, maybe that isn't the case. If not, they'll have one very disapointed customer on their hands. :thumbsdown:
Old 12-06-2005, 05:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='207782
anyone?anyone?bueller?

Sadly the E60 does not have the Getrag tranny found on the E39 -- too bad because Getrags are top-notch. Smooth, rugged and totally dependable. Rock solid German technology.

The manual transmissions available on the 525i and 530i is the ZF Type-H 6spd manual transmission. The 545i has the ZF Type-G Manual, which is also a 6spd unit avaiable with the SMG feature. While the ZF Manual transmissions aren't bad, they aren't the best, which appears to be a cost saving measure. The M5 (I believe) gets the same Getrag Type-D series found on the E46 M3 SMG II.

The Automatic transmission available on all cars is the ZF 6 speed automatic unit, which is becomming the standard on almost all luxury vehicles.

[/quote]

I'm not so sure why you think the E39 Getrag 6 speed was so great; they couldn't keep clutches in them. The Susan Koman caravan DROPPED the 6 spd for the 99 tour because of continually blown clutches the year before (my dealer had to replace one). Sure, the gears may have been fine, but if you can't get the power to the wheels, you have a major problem. At 100K, mine was beginning to slip in cold weather.

Since you say that the M5 now has this same ZF unit, I feel fairly confident that the torque problems of the powerplant on the clutch have been remedied. And I like the shifter feel of the E60. But I do wish there was a stiffer clutch pedal spring.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 12-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='207782
anyone?anyone?bueller?

[/quote]
Is the 540i an E39? If so, then your comments would explain why I liked the 540i stick so well.

Quick Reply: Maunal transmission is awesome