E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Manual or steptronic

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On order: 2007 550i, silver gray, black leather, anth. maple trim, active cruise, heated steering wheel, sport, night vision, vent seats, heat rears, active steering, rear air bags, folding seats, comfort access, navigation , HUD, black head liner, steptronic, premium sound, sirius and HD radio.

I am going to make a decision today to buy one of two 545i's One is steptronic and the other manual. Of the people that have manual.....how does it shift?? smoothly and easily? My only BMW experience with a manual transmition was a 2004 M3 and I hated it. I don't mind shifting and in fact sometimes enjoy it. Any input hleping me compare the two from someone that has driven the manual for a lond period of time would be great.
Thanks
Old 02-18-2005, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Whats wrong with the manual in a M3 ?? Its great
Old 02-18-2005, 09:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by ledbettm' date='Feb 18 2005, 11:53 AM
I am going to make a decision today to buy one of two 545i's One is steptronic and the other manual. Of the people that have manual.....how does it shift?? smoothly and easily? My only BMW experience with a manual transmition was a 2004 M3 and I hated it. I don't mind shifting and in fact sometimes enjoy it. Any input hleping me compare the two from someone that has driven the manual for a lond period of time would be great.
Thanks
[snapback]91810[/snapback]
I have the Steptronic and love it. Reading your comment... "I don't mind shifting and in fact sometimes enjoy it" leads me to think you would be happier in the long run in the steptronic car. If you only enjoy shifting sometimes, the step has a pretty decent manual mode that you can play with. Get the manual and you may come to dread the morning commute shifting up and down. Just my 0.02 based on your statement. Go drive the Step again and give the manual mode a try and see if will satisfy your desire to occasionally shift...
Old 02-18-2005, 09:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by E60Speed' date='Feb 18 2005, 12:11 PM
Whats wrong with the manual in a M3 ?? Its great
[snapback]91817[/snapback]
I don't think he has a real problem with the M3 manual transmission, it almost sounds like he just isn't sure he wants to drive a manual anymore. I know the feeling. For years I had a manual tranny (god I loved that old RX-7!), drove it for ten years, then had it in an Acura Integra. Now, my driving is less haulin's ass around campus and more the daily commute, drive to the grocery for more diapers type driving. I couldn't fathom having a manual car now, but I do like to drop the steptronic into manual on occasion and play a bit!
Old 02-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Sounds like these are two already built cars that you are choosing between - no? Why not test drive them both and buy the one you prefer. Most people here would prefer a manual - sometimes at least - but there are many other factors that are different for everyone (e.g. wife can't use manual, resale value, traffic congestion). Personally, I like the steptronic and wouldn't consider manual for all of the above reasons even though I miss a manual gearbox at times.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

I agree with the prior posts - if you're not sure, you may be happier with the step.

Personally, I'm a dinosaur and will only drive manual transmissions - at least as long as they're still offered. As for the E60's, I find it a bit less satisfying than my prior 5ers. But the attributes that I don't like may make it an easier choice for you - The throws are a bit longer, and the clutch is a bit lighter than I'm accustomed to (my other car is a 911). BTW, I installed a UUC short-throw shifter, and that has somewhat helped to eleviate some of my issues.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:54 AM

Stuptronic or Should've gotten a Manual Guy?

Get the stick!
Old 02-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Feb 18 2005, 02:54 PM
Stuptronic or Should've gotten a Manual Guy?

Get the stick!
[snapback]91899[/snapback]
What does this mean?
Old 02-18-2005, 12:49 PM
Members

My Ride: Current... 2005 545i Black/Black/Anthracite, Sport Package, Steptronic, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather, Fold Down Rear, Sirius.

Originally Posted by ledbettm' date='Feb 18 2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks
[snapback]91810[/snapback]
There have been many threads on this same issue. BMW is the only car manufacturer that I'm aware of that gives such great choices for all types of driving styles.

I struggled with the same question....

I'm currently driving an E39 with a 5 speed manual and to tell the truth.. I love it! I've had it for 6 years and it's great.
MANUAL:
-It never shifts until you tell it to.
-When driving in slick conditions, I think you have better control when starting from a dead stop.
-Maintenance should be less than the other 2.

STEPTRONIC:
-Easier to drive in traffic
-Never have to take my hand off my gf
-Better resale value, (at lease a larger audience).

SMG:
My only experience with SMG was with an M3 and I didn't care for it. It shifted too harshly...... I know..... I know... it takes some time to get the hang of it.
-Who knows what kind of maintenance issues will be down the road.
-Potential for resale could be scary, (narrower audience interested in a used one).

I wanted a little more luxury with my new 545.....so I went with the Steptronic. I'm doing an ED in a couple of days... so don't know what mode I'll be driving in most of the time..... but I think Step is the best choice.

Hope that helps... just my 2 cents worth.

Spartacus_33
Old 02-18-2005, 01:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6-speed, jet black on black, sport package, dynamic handling package (active handling and active steering), electric rear and manual side sunshades.

If you are leasing the car, take your time and get whichever transmission you want. If you are buying the car, I'm sure the steptronic will have a better residual value in 4 or 5 years and you will not have to worry about replacing the clutch. Personally, I have owned only manual transmissions. I love them and would not consider anything else. That said, I must agree with other posts that if you are the least bit uncertain go with the automatic. I find the manual more fun to drive in the summer and more safe in the winter.

Quick Reply: Manual or steptronic