E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Manual or SMG 550i?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 06:57 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SMG is great, but I think manual is still more fun to drive.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Of course, manual is more fun to drive! But you, hartgeE60, hollywoodtrash, EBMCS03, and I all live in Socal and we chose the best compromise available.

6-speed in bumper to bumper traffic? No way. Steptronic? Can't row the gears and doesn't have the fun factor.

Heezy, you do have SMG right?
Old 06-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Originally Posted by jiio' post='300041' date='Jun 19 2006, 11:01 PM
Of course, manual is more fun to drive! But you, hartgeE60, hollywoodtrash, EBMCS03, and I all live in Socal and we chose the best compromise available.

6-speed in bumper to bumper traffic? No way. Steptronic? Can't row the gears and doesn't have the fun factor.
Not to mention if you have a cruddy bluetooth phone that doesn't work with the e60 like me...nothing better than being able to throw it into the automode while you fumble through dialing! I love my SMG!!!!
Old 06-19-2006, 11:34 PM
Contributors

manual for me
Old 06-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Auto SMG!
Old 06-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Road and Track just gave the M5 last place honors this month, behind the Merc CLS55 and the Audi S6.

What did they cite as the reason? The SMG.

I know cost and resale aren't things that contribute to daily enjoyment of any purchase, but I can never really wall that kind of thinking off when making a decision. For that reason, I'd never buy an SMG new. You pay a premium that you'll never recoup at resale. With the history of some BMW cars as a guide, the SMG could very likely mean -lower- resale than a manual equipped car.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Contributors

^For the e46 m3, I don't think the resale value differs that much between SMG/manual cars.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 M5, Silver Grey, Silverstone Full Leather, Alumium trim, Active/Ventilated Comfort Seats, HUD, Comfort Access, Split Rear Seats, Rear Seat Heating, etc.

I think a big factor in this decision is where you live and how you drive. If you live and drive in the burbs, along some quiet streets without a lot of traffic or starting and stopping, a manual is fine and dandy. If you live in, say, San Francisco where the hills burn through your clutch every 15,000 miles, or in Los Angeles where you spend half your life in bumper-to-bumper traffic, an SMG is definitely worth considering. The SMG is not perfect, it has quirks, it takes some getting used to. But once you do, it really can offer the best of both worlds... more control than a Steptronic, more comfort than a manual. After 5 months of it, I would never go back to a manual, at least not in SF or another urban city. Granted, the SMG on the M5 is supposed to be better than that of a 550, but I test drove several 5er SMGs before settling on the M5 and I still found them to be just as fun as my old manual, with far fewer headaches.

Oh yeah, people who don't own SMG cars (and uninformed magazine reviewers) looooooove to complain about the SMG Auto mode, how it's not as smooth as a steptronic or whatever (and admittedly, it's not). But the truth of the matter is there is no real reason to use the Auto mode (I rarely if ever do) so it's kind of irrelevant. Since you're not asking people to compare the SMG to the Steptronic, I have to assume you wouldn't use it much either. And, despite the Road & Track review, it was ONE review compared to many, many more that have heaped praise on the M5, including its transmission. (R&T rated an Audi first... how knowledgable can they be?)
Old 06-20-2006, 07:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='300574' date='Jun 20 2006, 08:51 PM
^For the e46 m3, I don't think the resale value differs that much between SMG/manual cars.

I just checked KBB, and it appears they agree with you - there is zero difference between the manual and SMG used prices. I haven't looked at actual listings in a few years, but I recall that the E46 M3 with SMG was several thousand less than manual cars when I was looking at them on AutoTrader... and with good reason - those things ate transmissions. Perhaps over time things have evened out.

Even if it's even - that means you spent $3K on a transmission that you're getting zero on at resale. -Plus- you've likely had to endure some headaches and service adventures.

As for hills - I have lived in Pittsburgh, which has hills that are every bit as bad. Maybe it's because I learned on those hills, but I've never had to replace a clutch - and I've run some of my manual cars over 100K miles. I don't need a "hill holder" clutch either...

I drive in bumper to bumper quite often, and while it's not enjoyable, the 5 is one of the better manuals I have driven in stop and go - the transmission is never the source of my ire when the traffic gets to me.

You're just trading headaches in my opinion. The boards have more than a few threads about cars that are in the shop with SMG woes and replaced transmissions. I'd rather deal with the headaches associated with the normal expectations of a reliable, properly functioning device than the headaches associated with a quirky, broken, or unreliable one.

Car and Driver openly mused about how much better the M5/M6 will be once the manual is introduced.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

I vote for SMG.. I love it

Quick Reply: Manual or SMG 550i?????