E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Driving Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 06:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Hello All,
I should take delivery of my 5 next month. This will be the first manual that I own, but I do have decent experience driving them as well as motorcycles. I have had many people "teach" me about driving a manual, but I do still have one question...if I am in a 30mph zone, or 40 or whatever, for decent lengths of time, should I shift through all of the gears up to 6th, or should I stay at a lower gear since I am not going that fast? Does it hurt or help one way or another? I have always gone to the top gear no matter how fast (or slow) the "final" speed is, but now I am wondering if that school of thought is correct.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='May 10 2005, 08:30 AM
Hello All,
I should take delivery of my 5 next month.? This will be the first manual that I own, but I do have decent experience driving them as well as motorcycles.? I have had many people "teach" me about driving a manual, but I do still have one question...if I am in a 30mph zone, or 40 or whatever, for decent lengths of time, should I shift through all of the gears up to 6th, or should I stay at a lower gear since I am not going that fast?? Does it hurt or help one way or another?? I have always gone to the top gear no matter how fast (or slow) the "final" speed is, but now I am wondering if that school of thought is correct.
[snapback]126540[/snapback]
I drive standards to be in a certain RPM range, not gear ... so I find the gear that will put me in the RPM range which the car/truck/bike has the most power in (in case I need it) ... unless I'm on the highway cursing then its the highest gear I have to save on gas (unless I need to pass, then back to my first rule) ...
Old 05-10-2005, 06:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

It's been a number of years since I got rid of my last manual car, but you don't shift all the way up to 6th gear. Leave it the appropriate gear for you speed, so that the RPMs are say around 2,000 or so when cruising. I'm sure manual drivers will add to this, but if you are cruising at say 35 MPH, you'll leave it in what ever gear gives you that roughly 2,000 rpm (or what ever the number is!), so you would keep it in say 3rd gear at 35 MPH. Shifting all the way to 6th at 40 MPH would have the engine running at very low RPMs, heck the computer might not let you do that.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='May 10 2005, 09:30 AM
Hello All,
I should take delivery of my 5 next month.? This will be the first manual that I own, but I do have decent experience driving them as well as motorcycles.? I have had many people "teach" me about driving a manual, but I do still have one question...if I am in a 30mph zone, or 40 or whatever, for decent lengths of time, should I shift through all of the gears up to 6th, or should I stay at a lower gear since I am not going that fast?? Does it hurt or help one way or another?? I have always gone to the top gear no matter how fast (or slow) the "final" speed is, but now I am wondering if that school of thought is correct.
[snapback]126540[/snapback]
You should keep the car in as low of a gear as possible per the speed and the gearing of your vehicle. Being in 6th gear at 40mph will do you no good when a car pulls out in front of you and you try to punch it to get around him. keeping your car at say 2400 rpm or even as high as 3k does not harm the vehicle and will not effect gas mileage...too much. I always try to keep my car well above 2k rpm so there is no lag when I put my foot down.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Thanks for the feedback...so I should pay more attention or focus on RPMs rather than the gear. I was thinking about the ability to accel and manuever, as well as gas mileage, but I wasn't sure. Any other recommendations as far as what RPM range manual driver recommend?
Old 05-10-2005, 07:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Black Anthracite. Sport Pkg, HUD, NAV, 20-way Comfort Seats, Prem Snd Pkg Logic7, Htd Rear Seats, Rear side impact, Cold Weather Pkg, Fold Down Rear Seat/Ski bag, Soon 2B chromed rims. Picked up in Munich, Drove it to Prague, Vienna, Salburg & Bremerhaven. Put on 1300 miles. Enjoyed driving it 140mph on Autobahn (4,400 rpm).

[/quote]

You should keep the car in as low of a gear as possible per the speed and the gearing of your vehicle. Being in 6th gear at 40mph will do you no good when a car pulls out in front of you and you try to punch it to get around him. keeping your car at say 2400 rpm or even as high as 3k does not harm the vehicle and will not effect gas mileage...too much. I always try to keep my car well above 2k rpm so there is no lag when I put my foot down.
[snapback]126549[/snapback]
[/quote]

With the past cars, and when I first got my 545, I always tried to go to the highest gear to keep the RPM's down, but in 3rd gear, keeping the RPM's around 3K while driving in the 30's and 40's will allow the V8 to run more efficiently and get better gas mileage. You'll see when you look at the MPG indicator under your tach. Many people have complained that the car still has one, but I kind of like it.

SveaRike
Old 05-10-2005, 08:33 AM
JDN
Contributors

Aaron, I drove 6-speeds for years. In traffic, I am usually in 6th at 35-40 mph. Consequently, I rarely go through the gears. After third, I usually go straight to 6th. Driving by rpm is OK, too. Run to 2000 in each gear if the situation allows it. No hard fast rules. Just depends on what's best for you. Going through all six is great if you can wind in each gear.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Contributors

Aaron:
I agree with the group, it is RPM driven - MPH. I cruise between 2k & 4K RPMs depending on conditions. Below 2k RPMs there is not quick enough response for me. My .02. FYI, I have no problem redlining just for kicks.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:42 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After driving sticks for sometime, you'll be self-taught. I was instructed by a friend of mine for half an hour to drive manual, and I was on my own from then on. You'll learn new thing every time you drive your car.

Have fun
Old 05-10-2005, 09:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I am not trying to be a smart ass here but in addition to the posts regarding RPM, for maximum enjoyment you should be driving by feel and ear. After some time you will feel when the engine is comfortable with what you are expecting it to do.

If you are in 6th at 30mph and you try to accelerate and feel the motor is strained you were in the wrong gear. RPMs as shift points are a good rule of thumb but your car and mine (with the identical tranny) will want to shift differently and at different RPMs. It depends what you want to do next.

PS. It is a manual and the computer, thankfully has nothing to do with shift points and will allow you to do whatever you want. Its all up to you. Just have fun.

Quick Reply: Manual Driving Question