E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Malfunction in Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Carbon Black

So, today I went to drive my car (08 550i Sport Auto) home - when I put the key in and pushed the start button, the engine cranked for about 8 seconds without turning over and the message "Malfunction in Transmission" came on, saying continued driving was possible. I turned off the car, turned it back on, the engine cranked about 4 seconds, started, and I got the same message. I turned the car off, left the key in the car, opened the hood, checked there and under the car, got back in, started the car again - this time, it started, no messages, but the check engine light was on. Crap. I turned it off, waited a couple minutes, tried again, the check engine light is on.

Turned off the car, went inside to look online (taking the key out this time), found some people talking abuot a similar situation but never seemed to actually talk about what was wrong (no follow-ups, diagnoses, etc).

Came back out, tried again, car started fine with no warnings or lights. I drove to the store, and when I tried againn, everything was fine. As far as I can tell, nothing else has come up.

Does anybody have any idea what caused that? It might just be a fluke, but I find it hard to believe it could be just a one-time thing if everything is in tiptop shape.

Unfortunately, I had my car shipped to Germany with me, where they only warranty the car for 2 years instead of 4, so I'd be out on my own trying to get it fixed. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2011, 10:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i

it could be nothing..just drive it around .if that light cames back take it to bmw
Old 02-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by usmabmass
So, today I went to drive my car (08 550i Sport Auto) home - when I put the key in and pushed the start button, the engine cranked for about 8 seconds without turning over and the message "Malfunction in Transmission" came on, saying continued driving was possible. I turned off the car, turned it back on, the engine cranked about 4 seconds, started, and I got the same message. I turned the car off, left the key in the car, opened the hood, checked there and under the car, got back in, started the car again - this time, it started, no messages, but the check engine light was on. Crap. I turned it off, waited a couple minutes, tried again, the check engine light is on.

Turned off the car, went inside to look online (taking the key out this time), found some people talking abuot a similar situation but never seemed to actually talk about what was wrong (no follow-ups, diagnoses, etc).

Came back out, tried again, car started fine with no warnings or lights. I drove to the store, and when I tried againn, everything was fine. As far as I can tell, nothing else has come up.

Does anybody have any idea what caused that? It might just be a fluke, but I find it hard to believe it could be just a one-time thing if everything is in tiptop shape.

Unfortunately, I had my car shipped to Germany with me, where they only warranty the car for 2 years instead of 4, so I'd be out on my own trying to get it fixed. Thanks!
These gremlins pop up and then seem to disappear. I always suggest to take a picture of any alerts and warnings [everyone has a cell phone w/camera RIGHT?!?] because if they aren't stored in the car's memory the SA will fall back on "can't duplicate" situation.

As for 2 years and you're on your own. I don't think BMW wants to damage it's reputation (even more) by dumping a customer who buys it's VERY VERY VERY expensive cars!

BMW - you are monitoring this forum - R I G H T??
Old 02-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 LCI 535i sport M5 umnitza full kit, Maya RM 1 245/35/20 20x9 et16, 275/30/20 20x10.5 et17, Future mods- KW coilovers V3 and StopTech brake

I read from other threads that electrical gremlins can stem from a faulty ground but not a transmission error. Please keep us updated.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

You talk as if you WANT it to happen again. Could have been anything, battery, sensor, a wire...if it's gone. let it stay gone and don't try and make it come back lol.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mookish
You talk as if you WANT it to happen again. Could have been anything, battery, sensor, a wire...if it's gone. let it stay gone and don't try and make it come back lol.
I'm not a gambling man ... but I'd bet that this gremlin will appear again!!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Carbon Black

of course i'd love for it to never reappear again - as i'm not covered by a warranty i would very much want this to disappear. i've just been through some cars with major transmission problems, and i'm worried this is going to be the start of another. after this, the car has been driving fine, but i've noticed that the car shifts at higher RPMs than I'd like, or it'll start to shake a little bit or kick down roughly into a lower gear - i think i'm just getting paranoid now and was hoping someone had identified an issue that I could resolve before it becomes a bigger problem.

thanks!