E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Making Design Changes to the E60

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 06:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i, Steptronic, coldweather, comfort seats, Logic 7, front/rear seat heaters, navigation. sirius

Just more storage space, at least something big enough to stash a few CD cases.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I would pay MUCH MUCH more if they had a high-end stereo.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:08 AM
Senior Members

1. I'd make the anthracite headliner a standard fit with the auburn interior.

2. Change the design of the interior door panels to mirror the new E90 and get rid of the long awkward door handles.

3. Improve the quality of the interior plastics. The only BMW's with decent interior quality now are the X5 and the 7 series. All of the others have taken a turn for the worse. Mercedes tried this cost cutting measure and lost sales as a result but apparently BMW think they won't suffer the same fate.

4. Put some proper padding on the centre armrest - that thing is way too hard to be comfortable. The door armrests could do with some as well.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i

Interior quality: the posts about it are typically one liners about the poor plastic quality. Re. driving issues, readers are treated with endless lyrical descriptions about, for example, the way AS feels, handles, responds, connects, etc.
But for plastic quality, I have yet to read an adequate description highlighting any physical property of said plastic that renders it WAY poorer than the competition.
You may not like the way it looks, but that does not make it poor quality. IMHO it does not look cheap at all, and physically, experience shows it is quite "solid": no report of discoloration, of uncleanable stuff, of easy scratching, ...

My 88 3 series convertible had doors covered with false leather that had a tendency to rip open at the bottom of the door due to frequent contact with shoes. From that perspective, progress has been made, and if something looked cheap with leather seats, that vynil certainly did.

Posts are also commenting on the X5 much better interior quality but funnily, the plastic quality was despised in reviews in *THAT* model as well when it came out. Are people just getting used to it like they are of the exterior style?

Fred
Old 03-30-2005, 11:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

Originally Posted by Swiss535d' date='Mar 30 2005, 12:45 PM
Interior quality: the posts about it are typically one liners about the poor plastic quality. Re. driving issues, readers are treated with endless lyrical descriptions about, for example, the way AS feels, handles, responds, connects, etc.
But for plastic quality, I have yet to read an adequate description highlighting any physical property of said plastic that renders it WAY poorer than the competition.
You may not like the way it looks, but that does not make it poor quality. IMHO it does not look cheap at all, and physically, experience shows it is quite "solid": no report of discoloration, of uncleanable stuff, of easy scratching, ...

My 88 3 series convertible had doors covered with false leather that had a tendency to rip open at the bottom of the door due to frequent contact with shoes. From that perspective, progress has been made, and if something looked cheap with leather seats, that vynil certainly did.

Posts are also commenting on the X5 much better interior quality but funnily, the plastic quality was despised in reviews in *THAT* model as well when it came out. Are people just getting used to it like they are of the exterior style?

Fred
[snapback]108783[/snapback]
The best way to understand it IMO is to get into 6-series you shud immly feel the difference.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2002 545i sport pckg,sirius,active steering,grey on black

I would redesign the main front headlamps to look a little more

agressive .....less curvy lines ....I think the headlamp design in

the new 3er is a definite step in the right direction. The rest of the exterior

is very nice.

The interior would benefit from the old driver oriented wrap around

dash and better plastics. It does in fact look like an interior designer

went a little wacko. Luv the I-drive.