E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Making backup of Business SatNav DVD

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 02:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pukka
If the DVD drive is dual layered, then in theory you can copy 7Gb of MP3 files onto it and play all of them. Of course you won't have NAV functions as long as you use the drive to play music.

The reason I was asking re 7gb of mp3s was that *apparently* the reason that the earlier business satnav systems wont load the later satnav releases is because the dvd drive only supports single layer discs - before the "upgrade".

David
Old 03-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Members

Hi again,

I tried burning a dual layer disk of MP3s as requested, but it didn't work. It wouldn't read the disk.

I used the same disk type that I burned the Sat Nav disk with, so not sure why it doesn't work. Maybe the system will only recognise MP3s on a CD? I know that an MP3 CD works in my DVD drive (track names appear on Idrive etc) as I've tried that. I know for a fact that my drive is dual layer, as it was a dual layer disk I had to use for the Sat Nav disk due to the file size.

My car is a 2008 LCI E60 with Business Nav. Don't know if earlier models were different???

Other option would be to copy your disk as an ISO, then mount it as a virtual image (Nero will let you do this). You could then edit the files to remove unneeded maps/languages, and try to get it down to single layer disk size. I've seen a few versions of Sat Nav disks being modified like that to avoid the cost of dual layer disks!

Cheers

James.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by james.in.scotland
Hi again,

I tried burning a dual layer disk of MP3s as requested, but it didn't work. It wouldn't read the disk.

I used the same disk type that I burned the Sat Nav disk with, so not sure why it doesn't work. Maybe the system will only recognise MP3s on a CD? I know that an MP3 CD works in my DVD drive (track names appear on Idrive etc) as I've tried that. I know for a fact that my drive is dual layer, as it was a dual layer disk I had to use for the Sat Nav disk due to the file size.

My car is a 2008 LCI E60 with Business Nav. Don't know if earlier models were different???

Other option would be to copy your disk as an ISO, then mount it as a virtual image (Nero will let you do this). You could then edit the files to remove unneeded maps/languages, and try to get it down to single layer disk size. I've seen a few versions of Sat Nav disks being modified like that to avoid the cost of dual layer disks!

Cheers

James.
Thanks for the reply James

I can play mp3s off a DVD, so no limit there, but verty surprised re dual layer... thinking ISo 7 layers here, the software player should have no way to know how many layers the drive has or supports!

David
Old 03-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Senior Members

You will need a program which will copy the raw data making an ISO which can create a new disk. Look into a product called DVD decrypter(free). You will need to check the web for instructions on how to use it(pretty simple and many forums on this. the product has not been updated due to legal issues but I have been using it for many things for many years.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

guys, try to stay on topic regarding making a back-up nav cd for personal use and avoid posting any pirated versions/downloads of official BMW Nav dvd's. The thread has been cleaned up to stay in compliance with our forum rules regarding copyrighted materials:

"You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board."

https://5series.net/forums/forum-49/...2-forum-rules/

thanx,

Gene
Old 03-25-2011, 05:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
guys, try to stay on topic regarding making a back-up nav cd for personal use and avoid posting any pirated versions/downloads of official BMW Nav dvd's. The thread has been cleaned up to stay in compliance with our forum rules regarding copyrighted materials:

"You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board."

http://forums.5serie...12-forum-rules/

thanx,
Gene
+1 Gene!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by james.in.scotland

Cheers

James.

Hi James

I wonder where is Sunny Scotland you are - if nearby, it would be good to meet, or I can post you a disk to see if its my satnav's inability to read the disk or my inability to burn a backup copy.

I am beside Edinburgh... where are you?

David