E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making backup of Business SatNav DVD

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys

I have the basic business satnav and am worried that the back and forth inserting of the satnav dvd will end up with the disc being damaged.

I tried to make a backup copy ofthe disc and it is not recognised by the car.

I have ensured I am buring at the lowest speed and also tried a couple of different blank makes.

Any ideas? If you have got a backup running in a business DVD drive, what make was the blank DVD?

Thanks

David
Old 02-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BestGear
Guys
I have the basic business satnav and am worried that the back and forth inserting of the satnav dvd will end up with the disc being damaged.
I tried to make a backup copy ofthe disc and it is not recognised by the car.
I have ensured I am buring at the lowest speed and also tried a couple of different blank makes.
Any ideas? If you have got a backup running in a business DVD drive, what make was the blank DVD?
Thanks
David
I've had DVD Nav in my BMW's since 2001 ... never 'wore out' the dvd. That said, you should be able to 'copy' your original dvd but it must be done with a DVD - R disc. I used to keep a back up of mine and it took be a couple of wasted DVD's before I realized the car wouldn't recognize a +R DVD
Old 02-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
I've had DVD Nav in my BMW's since 2001 ... never 'wore out' the dvd. That said, you should be able to 'copy' your original dvd but it must be done with a DVD - R disc. I used to keep a back up of mine and it took be a couple of wasted DVD's before I realized the car wouldn't recognize a +R DVD

Thanks for the quick reply!

The disc is dual layer and I have only tried +r variety... I have ever seen -r ones, but will go have a look.

I am not worried about the drive getting gubbed...its the disc - its inevitably left in the car or glove box and often does not get put back in the case... its a nap that it will get scratched etc...

David
Old 02-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BestGear
Thanks for the quick reply!

The disc is dual layer and I have only tried +r variety... I have ever seen -r ones, but will go have a look.

I am not worried about the drive getting gubbed...its the disc - its inevitably left in the car or glove box and often does not get put back in the case... its a nap that it will get scratched etc...

David
I get it ... I started running a map DVD copy after one of my original map DVDs was stolen when I valet parked my car. They must have thought it was a music CD

And if you're taking the DVD out and keeping it in the glovebox use a case because if it gets scratched it will not work in the nav drive. Definitely look for the dual layer -R DVD - you may need to find some freeware to burn it because NERO or Roxio and other commercial burning s/w may not let you to copy a "write-protected" DVD.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
I get it ... I started running a map DVD copy after one of my original map DVDs was stolen when I valet parked my car. They must have thought it was a music CD

And if you're taking the DVD out and keeping it in the glovebox use a case because if it gets scratched it will not work in the nav drive. Definitely look for the dual layer -R DVD - you may need to find some freeware to burn it because NERO or Roxio and other commercial burning s/w may not let you to copy a "write-protected" DVD.

Hi

Checked out my drive (PC one) and it supports -r DL, so will hunt some down.

I am surprised more has not been written about the drives compatibility...

David
Old 03-12-2011, 05:48 AM
Members

Hi there,

I've burned the Business Sat Nav DVD quite recently. It was a "backup" from a bittorrent site ;-) for the latest maps, I didn't copy my own disk.

I used the following blank DVDs from Amazon. Worked first time.

Good Luck.

Cheers

James.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-43666-8-5GB-Dual-Layer/dp/B0015Y9LQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=computers&qid=1299940789&sr=8-1 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-43666-8-5GB-Dual-Layer/dp/B0015Y9LQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=computers&qid=1299940789&sr=8-1
Old 03-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by james.in.scotland
Hi there,

I've burned the Business Sat Nav DVD quite recently. It was a "backup" from a bittorrent site ;-) for the latest maps, I didn't copy my own disk.

I used the following blank DVDs from Amazon. Worked first time.

Good Luck.

Cheers

James.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-436...9940789&sr=8-1

These are the same blanks as I first tried with no luck.

Could I ask that if you copy 7gb of MP3 onto a dual layer disc, does the car play it?
Old 03-13-2011, 05:38 AM
Members

Maybe there's some kind of protection on the disk, but I doubt it.

I haven't tried a DL DVD with MP3s, but I'll give it a shot. I like the fact that it displays tthe track names etc through the idrive when running through the centre slot CD, but I've only ever burned MP3 CDs, not DVDs. I ended up just cabling in an ipod to the Aux in, and leaving the Nav DVD in place. I'd like to retrofit the proper ipod connection, but not at £500!

I'll try and give it a go tomorrow.

Have you tried it yourself? i.e. do you know for sure that you can burn DL DVDs with your drive/software setup?

Cheers

James.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 LCI 535SE Auto,Mtech Bodykit and Rear Spoiler, Blufin Chipped, 124 alloys,Space grey, Folding Mirrors, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Pro nav, Bluetooth,Logic 7,Comfort access, USB, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Departure, Acoustic Solutions DAB, love my car! Retired-2003 530SE, 124 alloys,Titan silver, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Business nav, Mtech Bodykit & Rear Spoiler,-petrol with LPG

I havent burned a back up disc, but I recently replaced my 2003 disc with a newer one- when I removed the orig disc(never been removed since car bought), I was very worried to see it had cooked so badley that the label had started to disintigrate. Motto- if you leave disc in all the time thinking its the safest option, be aware that if this happens and the remains travel into the drive, it could get destroyed, the drive not the disc? Is this a built in function Mr BMW to ensure future sales of spares?
Old 03-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

The easiest way do duplicate a NAV disk is to create an image or .iso file and then burn it to a blank disk. If I remember correctly the disks are copy protected but the image copy process gets around this.

If the DVD drive is dual layered, then in theory you can copy 7Gb of MP3 files onto it and play all of them. Of course you won't have NAV functions as long as you use the drive to play music.

Quick Reply: Making backup of Business SatNav DVD