E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Make my rain sensor remember...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 03:02 PM
ipp
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

On my 2001 E-Class auto-wiping could be left on. The problem was that the wiper allways wiped the screen once when you switched the ignition on and if you left it on a cold night you would most probably ruin the wiper blade (yes only one..) next icy morning.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='474233' date='Sep 25 2007, 06:14 PM
Possibly ... it is annoying how the potential stupidity of a small minority forces the vast majority to miss out
Yup, it sure is. One other condition I remembered that possibly justifies why you can't leave the sensor on is when there is snow and/or ice on the windshield. I could see a bunch of wiper transmissions potentially ruined if you turn the key on before scraping your windshield! ;doh;

Now if they'd only let me set my SAT to default to sport mode, etc...

EDIT: It looks like IPP replied about icy windshields while I was typing my reply. He's right that M-B used to wipe when the key was turned on even if the windshield was dry! I imagine that could've been addressed via software but it wouldn't address the ice or snow problem...
Old 09-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Contributors

Extra line of code in the software - "automatically disable auto-wipers if temp < 3oC at initial ignition"

These guys at BMW will happily build and sell a system which uses radar to track the car in front and will apply brakes to stop you crashing in to it. Can you imagine the law suit if that system failed. But having a wiper which may accidentally switch on in the ice or a car wash... NO WAY can they risk that or work out ways to avoid the issues
Old 09-25-2007, 03:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

With all due respect, what is the big deal with pressing one little button if it starts to rain or if you want to wipe the window? If a big seagull craps on your window and the sensor thought it was rain then mashed the crap over the window blocking visibility and scratching it.... I'll bet you wished you had a way to turn it off.. Come on! there are far more reasons to leave it as it is versus what Russ is suggesting.

Cheers

PS don't tell me you're going to program a crap detector feature too !!
Old 09-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Members

Thanks for your comments guys,

Rudy, I understand your point of view what comes to legal issues that BMW is trying to avoid. But still at least outside US (where people are less blood thirsty in terms of legal battle) this option should be made possible at least thru I-drive car settings like Russ pointed out. I think that?s the major reason why we have the i-drive after all. If this would be an option, then we as customers would have the choice to make our cars suitable for our needs. And then BMW wouldn?t have to pee on somebody?s eye while pleasing others.

I don?t use car wash of any kind, and when you have driven decades here with snow and ice you learned to remove snow and ice off your windows before even attempting to drive your car.

I think that this issue is not major for SoCal dudes. And what comes to seagulls and crap.. Your seagulls must have pretty good aim if they hit the sweet spot (rain sensor eye) all the time (or the crap is just HUGE).

I know I?m just lazy bastard, but in my E39 I had the opportunity to put the wiper leaver in position where the rain sensor was always active. I didn?t have any problems with leaving it on and many fellow members seem to like the idea. Even the seat heater like function would be great addition (not constantly on but if you take short pause to coffee shop or post office car would remember last situation, on longer pauses it could turn it off, no problem).

Just my 2 cents.

cheers
Old 09-25-2007, 11:30 PM
Senior Members

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought that you couldn't leave it switched on if you wanted to. Or should I say that I would have thought you could leave it switched on if you did want to?

On my C270cdi you can, plus on my wifes 330d sport touring you can.

You leave the wipers on auto, if it rains, the wiper starts, if the rain stops the wiper stops. Simple.

So the 5 series doesn't let you leave it switched on? No real hardship I suppose, at the first sign of rain on your journey you switch it on then it takes care of itself. But why be different to other BMWs?

In England where it rains non-stop from October to March (almost) (and this year a fair amount in August too), you can understand why this comes as a surprise to some (ok me at least).

You lucky people living in warmer climes where rain is less frequent...

I am also shocked at the words "automatic car wash", what is this? Does any one actually use these? LOL

Remember though, you can't please all of the people all of the time...

Regards,
Old 09-26-2007, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hillokone' post='474423
Remember though, you can't please all of the people all of the time...
Exactly! I really don't think there's a "right" way to do this. If this setting was in iDrive, it would be nice but keep in mind that we're all enthusiasts who seem to get the iDrive concept. When iDrive was first introduced in the 7 series, they put so much stuff into it that it gave the whole system a black eye. Now, they likely stripped out things that we'd love to see in there (or chose not to put it in there in the first place) in order to please the masses...
Old 09-26-2007, 07:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='474494' date='Sep 26 2007, 04:59 PM
As far as the seat heater/ventilation memory, both of my E60's worked the way you "wished" it did. If I have my seat heat and steering wheel heat on and turn the car off to get a cup of coffee or mail a letter, when I return those settings are still set the way they were when I left them. I think they'll stay that way for about 16 minutes (until the car goes into sleep mode.)
Rudy, I?m sorry but you misunderstood me a little bit. I meant to say that I wish the automatic wipers would work LIKE the seat heater does. I have no problems with seat heater/vent memory when I go get a cup of coffee or something like that... I only wish that the wipers would have same kind of memory.

Best regards,
Jari
Old 09-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hillokone' post='474528' date='Sep 26 2007, 11:32 AM
Rudy, I?m sorry but you misunderstood me a little bit. I meant to say that I wish the automatic wipers would work LIKE the seat heater does. I have no problems with seat heater/vent memory when I go get a cup of coffee or something like that... I only wish that the wipers would have same kind of memory.

Best regards,
Jari
Gotcha. I guess we'll just have to add this feature to the list of things we'd like to see...
Old 09-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Senior Members

Imagine all those keyboard presses you could've invested in pressing the goddam rain sensor button instead...

ABC