E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major windshield creaking/popping when outside temp is cold...anyone e

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 03:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

I bought my '08 535i last December and very quickly noticed a terrible windshield (I beleive that's what it is) creak when the outside temp is less than about 40 deg F. It happens when the car goes through a dip on the highway or hits a bump. It seems to be when the car body flexes and then the windshield pops/creaks. I took it to dealer, they made some sort of torque adjustment under the hood...there is a TSB on that...no help at all. Summer time came and as temps went up, probelm went away (thats when the area around the A/C knobs started rattling... ). I was hoping that the car just needed to "settle in" and the problem would not re-appear this winter. Well...it is back, and just as bad as before. Does anybody else have this??? I can't be the only one.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:43 AM
Members

I had a similar creaking/rattle type noise right above me where the A-Pillar meets the windshield area ... took the car to dealer and after 3 tries ... they found there is a loose clip around the A-Pillar / upper windshield area and replaced with a new one.

Maybe you have the same thing.

Originally Posted by Allen' post='724994' date='Nov 19 2008, 07:52 AM
I bought my '08 535i last December and very quickly noticed a terrible windshield (I beleive that's what it is) creak when the outside temp is less than about 40 deg F. It happens when the car goes through a dip on the highway or hits a bump. It seems to be when the car body flexes and then the windshield pops/creaks. I took it to dealer, they made some sort of torque adjustment under the hood...there is a TSB on that...no help at all. Summer time came and as temps went up, probelm went away (thats when the area around the A/C knobs started rattling... ). I was hoping that the car just needed to "settle in" and the problem would not re-appear this winter. Well...it is back, and just as bad as before. Does anybody else have this??? I can't be the only one.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:59 AM
Contributors

I noticed a new sound coming from the area of the windshield yesterday (just got her out of the body shop.) It was cold by our standards, and the problem did seem to only occur on the highway dips and bumps you described. I'm going to try to find the source before going to the dealer. As far as the torque adjustment under the hood, I believe that might have been the source of my last creaking noise which was recently fixed. There is a "bump stop" just beside the hinges of the hood that either needed to be tightened or loosened and greased to eliminate the creaking I experienced going over bumps and accelerating from low speeds. The new sound is definitely different.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bobblehead' post='725009' date='Nov 19 2008, 08:43 AM
I had a similar creaking/rattle type noise right above me where the A-Pillar meets the windshield area ...
Mine seems to be coming from the area where the windshield meets the dash...kinda in the center. You can tell from the sound that it isn't a small item causing this...it's someting that shifts when the body flexes over humps/dips and the like. It's gotta get fixed...it's horrible on a bad (dippy) section of Interstate...which I drive twice daily. Result...I'm pissed twice daily at my $60K+ new car...that's not right.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:13 AM
Members

I had something similar in my other car ... not a bimmer but a Lexus ... there are mounting clips behind the entire dash, just separating the windshield. The fix for my Lexus was the dealer took the entire dash out and remount the clips with additional padding to absorb the sounds. Took over 2 days for the dealer to fix.

Originally Posted by Allen' post='725086' date='Nov 19 2008, 09:50 AM
Mine seems to be coming from the area where the windshield meets the dash...kinda in the center. You can tell from the sound that it isn't a small item causing this...it's someting that shifts when the body flexes over humps/dips and the like. It's gotta get fixed...it's horrible on a bad (dippy) section of Interstate...which I drive twice daily. Result...I'm pissed twice daily at my $60K+ new car...that's not right.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Sport, Alpine White, Biege Interior, Steptronic, NAV, HUD, Ventilated Seats, Active Cruise, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Logic7, Sirius

I know exactly what you are describing, I had the same problem on my 06 550. My dealership ended up replacing the windshield.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sjc550' post='725190' date='Nov 19 2008, 11:46 AM
I know exactly what you are describing, I had the same problem on my 06 550. My dealership ended up replacing the windshield.
I have suspected all along that this would have to be the solution....I'm assuming the new windshield fixed your problem?
Old 11-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Sport, Alpine White, Biege Interior, Steptronic, NAV, HUD, Ventilated Seats, Active Cruise, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Logic7, Sirius

Originally Posted by Allen' post='725464' date='Nov 19 2008, 02:47 PM
I have suspected all along that this would have to be the solution....I'm assuming the new windshield fixed your problem?
yes, it did fix the problem.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Members

I think it depends on the quality or what's your windshield's made of. The car dealers should check out on these problems before they sell their cars so prevent this from happening or they'd end up replacing the whole windshield. If you have experienced this noise on your windshield, Gilbert auto glass can help you detect the problem.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:34 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I have not experienced that, but thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply: Major windshield creaking/popping when outside temp is cold...anyone e