E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Major Engine Problem : Anti Swirl / Butterfly flaps in air manifold

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 05:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have just returned from taking my 530D to the local dealer after the car started running 'rich' i.e. using lots of fuel, running unevenly, uneven acceleration/mis-firing.

They have just called me to tell me that the Anti Swirl flaps in the air inlet manifold have come loose and blown into the engine!!

He says that I may be looking and needing a new engine (quote ?8,000!). Right now they are removing the cylinder head to look at what damage has been caused inside and whether they can repair the engine or if it should be replaced. He mentioned that there is a possibility of BMW 'goodwill' but I don't know how far this will go.

This car is 53 (2003) model E60 with full main dealer BMW service history and 66,000 miles on the clock. A ?37,000 car should last longer than 66,000 miles!

I am absolutely horrified and still in shock!!

I would be keen to know what results people have had with this sort of problem before or in obtaining 'goodwill' i.e. just how far are they willing to go. I am aware from looking in this forum and on others than this problem has happened to other E60 owners. Apparently, then newer E60 models have had the swirl flaps re-designed (according to what I can gather elsewhere on this forum)

Any help greatly appreciated
Old 07-10-2008, 05:45 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

So sorry to hear that!
Maybe you should contact RobyO. He had a broken swirl flap too and thus a broken engine.
Look at here: 530d - Broken Swirl flap
Old 07-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a $hitty situation that is getting a lot of commentary in the UK car mag BMWCar. BMW does not seem to want to agree that this is a defect in the engine design. They have denied other claims regarding this problem but I think you have a chance with only 66k miles on the motor.

I recomend you get the dealer on your side as much as you can. If you are a repeat customer/BMW enthusiats that they don't want to lose they will push BMW to cover this or most of it. Here in the US I don't think BMW would dare not covering this. US customers are demanding as hell and will walk down the street to Mercedes or Lexus in a heart beat and tell everyone they know... forever... if a company screws them.

If BMW puts up a fight tell them about another once great car compnay that didn't listen to it's customer complaints... General Motors...

Good luck