E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MAF Sensor - Concerned!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 07:26 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

That is very interesting! It sounds to me like you can not even "feel" the difference when the MAF Sensor is connected or not. In a way, that's kind of great.

I have a 2006 530i (N52 Engine), and currently it does not run if the MAF Sensor is connected. The engine would crank for a second and that's all it does. When I disconnect the MAF sensor, the engine would run, but VERY ROUGH. I already ordered a new sensor and can't wait to receive it!

For the sake of curiosity, can someone with a 2006 530i (N52, automatic transmission) do me a favor? Would you mind start your engine with and without the MAF Sensor connected and describe the results for me?

Much appreciated if you can do that favor. Your findings will certainly help some of use understand how the N52 engine behaves in the controlled conditions.

Originally Posted by kskane
Hi Guys, I have a question it is pretty simple but I don't know the answer. Can the car run without a MAF sensor i.e. if I disconnect or remove the MAF Sensor from the car altogether, should I be able to feel any difference in the car running? Basically, I removed my MAF sensor today to spray it with CRC cleaner and in the middle I thought why not make life easier and try to start the car anyways, and it did start without any issue. So, does that mean the MAF Sensor is dead, or is that normal behaviour?

Second question, on 2004 E60 M54 how many MAF Sensor's are there? I found only one so far on my car and hoping that is right, but wanted to confirm as I heard on M5's there are two of them.

Third questions, if the sensor needs to be changed, do I need any coding done from the $tealer?

Last edited by E60I; 11-26-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:05 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by E60I
For the sake of curiosity, can someone with a 2006 530i (N52, automatic transmission) do me a favor? Would you mind start your engine with and without the MAF Sensor connected and describe the results for me?

Much appreciated if you can do that favor. Your findings will certainly help some of use understand how the N52 engine behaves in the controlled conditions.
On my car, as expected, car runs roughly with the MAF disconnected and smooths out as soon as I connect the MAF.

Essentially, when you disconnect the MAF, car computer doesn't know how much air is going in to the engine (in order to figure out how much fuel to mix). So, the car computer goes in to default/pre-set air/fuel mix ratio. Since that default/pre-set mix is not accurate for the amount of air going in, engine will run rough.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:25 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by E60I
That is very interesting! It sounds to me like you can not even "feel" the difference when the MAF Sensor is connected or not. In a way, that's kind of great.

I have a 2006 530i (N52 Engine), and currently it does not run if the MAF Sensor is connected. The engine would crank for a second and that's all it does. When I disconnect the MAF sensor, the engine would run, but VERY ROUGH. I already ordered a new sensor and can't wait to receive it!

HI,
its an old thread but thought i'd chime in. i have a 2007 530xi with 211k and a MAF that's never been changed. so I started the engine and pulled the plug from the MAF sensor.
The engine still ran but just slightly rough. plugging it back calmed it a little. I wonder if its time to change my MAF sensor? anyone with thoughts?
Old 12-19-2019, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 316 Likes on 303 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

If you don't have a code there's no need the MAF is doing it's job.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:46 PM
New Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: 2009 528i xdrive

For a number of reasons, the computer or ECU will try to maintain a fixed (may vary under certain conditions) air to fuel ratio. One way to do this is with a MAF (mass air flow) sensor. If the mass of air coming in is known, then the mass of fuel to be delivered can be determined. Some cars do not use a MAF sensor, but rather a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor. This is called the speed density method of determining the mass of air entering the engine. To determine the mass of air, one needs to know the volumetric efficiency of the cylinders, the intake air temperature, etc. I assume that when the MAF is not present, the ECU will operate in some sort of limp home mode. In doing so, it will look at various parameters to estimate the MAF. It will be off. Too rich, you take out your catalytic converter. Too lean, you burn out your pistons. In summary, it is not an optional part.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 316 Likes on 303 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Originally Posted by tstiglich
For a number of reasons, the computer or ECU will try to maintain a fixed (may vary under certain conditions) air to fuel ratio. One way to do this is with a MAF (mass air flow) sensor. If the mass of air coming in is known, then the mass of fuel to be delivered can be determined. Some cars do not use a MAF sensor, but rather a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor. This is called the speed density method of determining the mass of air entering the engine. To determine the mass of air, one needs to know the volumetric efficiency of the cylinders, the intake air temperature, etc. I assume that when the MAF is not present, the ECU will operate in some sort of limp home mode. In doing so, it will look at various parameters to estimate the MAF. It will be off. Too rich, you take out your catalytic converter. Too lean, you burn out your pistons. In summary, it is not an optional part.
Ok with all that (thanks for the explanation by the way) what is your answer? Should it be changed or not?

The point I was making was these cars are very smart. If the MAF was on it's way out (not sending the correct signals) or dead a code would be thrown hence me saying if you are not getting a code there's no need to replace it.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:38 PM
New Members

As others have chimed in, unless you are getting a MAF error code, I would not replace it. What error codes are you getting?
Old 12-19-2019, 05:40 PM
New Members

I suppose that I am lost here. Is your car experiencing problems?
Old 12-19-2019, 05:46 PM
New Members

As for whether or not the MAF is operating correctly. I don't know. I do know that there are a number of sensors, O2 for example. They output a voltage proportional to the input. Suppose that the output signal is 0 to 12 volts. What the actual sensor will do is output a voltage of 0.5 to 11.5 volts, as an example. Anything less than 0.5 or greater than 11.5 is a fault or a short. But, in the end, as long as the signal remains within these extremes (and varies, ie not stuck on a specific output), I suppose that there is no way to determine that they are operating correctly without additional information from other sensors.