E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MAF

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

On my Audi S4 it did. I actually had a program that measured air flow and after I cleaned the MAF the numbers were more accurate.

Originally Posted by mini_me' post='766854' date='Jan 13 2009, 11:16 AM
Hi Michael,

Did the cleaning bring you any good?

Cris.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='766040' date='Jan 12 2009, 05:37 PM
Im getting much better than that with a chipped up 530d M-Sport.............so yer, I would say thats pretty abysmal IMHO.
Ive got a 53 reg e60 530d according to the computer im averaging just 24mpg. The car is used mainly by my missus going to and from school shops stop start most days. Should i be getting better? My car is also remapped.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Well ive been running to and from Nursery with my little girl every morning since November, a cold time of year and short journey early in the morning, and then again late afternoon, I follow B road for 6 miles there, 6 miles back - 12 miles round trip twice a day, im averaging 40mpg on that run,

The engine is only just starting to get up to temp and give heat properly on the heater by the time we arrive and I switch the car off to drop her out, then back out restart the car and drive home, visa versa, this kind of run should be comparable to some of the worst case scenario situations I suppose ???? short trips is not the strong point of these big engines for sure.

If your wife is really central london style stop starting, short trips then I guess I would still expect 30mpg, my best guess is that she needs to change her style driving the car tho, with these cars it does not pay to dawdle up to your cruising speed, it sucks MORE fuel, your better to squirt briskly to your cruise speed, also check your on UK Miles per gallon in the Idrive settings, mine was set to US and showing mid 20's at one point
Old 01-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='767559' date='Jan 14 2009, 02:11 PM
Well ive been running to and from Nursery with my little girl every morning since November, a cold time of year and short journey early in the morning, and then again late afternoon, I follow B road for 6 miles there, 6 miles back - 12 miles round trip twice a day, im averaging 40mpg on that run,

The engine is only just starting to get up to temp and give heat properly on the heater by the time we arrive and I switch the car off to drop her out, then back out restart the car and drive home, visa versa, this kind of run should be comparable to some of the worst case scenario situations I suppose ???? short trips is not the strong point of these big engines for sure.

If your wife is really central london style stop starting, short trips then I guess I would still expect 30mpg, my best guess is that she needs to change her style driving the car tho, with these cars it does not pay to dawdle up to your cruising speed, it sucks MORE fuel, your better to squirt briskly to your cruise speed, also check your on UK Miles per gallon in the Idrive settings, mine was set to US and showing mid 20's at one point
40 UK MPG is a really, really (really) good average for the driving conditions you describe. 40 UK MPG converts to
7L/100KM. The rated combined consumption is 7L/100KM. This includes alldriving under favorable conditions and includes highway use.

So you are spot on the rated average consumption.

Nice.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by myfootsmells' post='766003' date='Jan 12 2009, 08:54 PM
well that was fun i felt like i was playing Where's Waldo. Your MAF is circled in green and your air filter is located under the red part.

got the MAF out, its not as easy as it looks. some of the nuts/bolts are in at the bottom, i also had to take of the housing for the air filter might as well change that seeing that i have it out already.

i have another problem, i cant open the MAF to get to the sensor wires for proper cleaning, its difficult and i don't want to us to much force as don't want buy a new one if i brake it.

i need pull out the stalk where the wires go on, any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails MAF-dsc00344.jpg  
Old 01-14-2009, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

I am testing a tuning box atm so maybe that has helped a little from standard.........given the conditions im running for my baseline average, btw I do drop down to 36/37 if I drive the car harder, my quotes were all with sensible driving, its not like im 7L/100km no matter what

I cannot answer your question regarding cleaning as I have never done it before

I do recall a delicate mod you can make where you drill the plastic through to leave a bigger hole opening for the sensor part, will see if I can find the posts for the DIY on that ( aparantly makes the sensor more reliable and accurate - though a very delicate job to do )

Good luck
Old 01-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

i need better angles please especiall of one looking into the tube

Originally Posted by parmblagan' post='767862' date='Jan 14 2009, 11:16 AM
got the MAF out, its not as easy as it looks. some of the nuts/bolts are in at the bottom, i also had to take of the housing for the air filter might as well change that seeing that i have it out already.

i have another problem, i cant open the MAF to get to the sensor wires for proper cleaning, its difficult and i don't want to us to much force as don't want buy a new one if i brake it.

i need pull out the stalk where the wires go on, any ideas?
Old 01-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by myfootsmells' post='767883' date='Jan 14 2009, 07:37 PM
i need better angles please especiall of one looking into the tube

tried taking some more pics but it useless as you cant even see the wires/sensor. i just sprayed the inside as well i could.

another thing i did notice was that the air filter was all bent at the part which jions onto the MAF, it wasnt intalled properly. this might have something to do with MPG aswell.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='767559' date='Jan 14 2009, 09:11 AM

Were does it tell you in the idrive whether or not my car is reading us or uk gallons mark? Had a look earlier and couldn't find it.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:19 PM
Members

I drive -> settings -> units ??

Take a look here; I-drive menu

Quick Reply: MAF