E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

M5 to 545 to Zero

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 09:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently I sold my 03 E39 M5 with 16K on it. I wanted a car with an automatic and ordered the 545 back in September.
Three weeks ago, the dealer called to say the car would be here Thansgiving week. I faxed him a letter requesting that the front plate holder not be installed, and that they hand wash it only before delivery.
Last Saturday, I went to pick the car up. Arriving at the dealer, I found a mechanic drilling holes into the front bumper; he said he hadn't seen the paperwork saying it shouldn't be done. I then opened the door to find that the wrong trim had been ordered by the salesman (I wanted the Anthracite; it came through with the other). Additionally, the paint had lots of surface swirl marks indicating the car had either been through an automatic wash or improperly dried.

The salesman then tried to compensate but after waiting two and a half months for something I wanted, I knew I'd always regret taking the car that was not to my specs. He offered to drop the price, but I cancelled, took my deposit back and left the dealership
I've owned 9 BMWs before, each one ordered without a hitch. This one, however, was my first (and last) experience with this specific dealer.

Don't know what I'm going to do. At present, I'm borrowing a friend's Volvo.
(Order was: 545, Step, Sport, Cold, Premium Audio, Comfort, Shades, GPS; Mystic Blue/Auburn/Anthracite --- would have been nice!!)
Old 11-25-2004, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

Welcome to the board! Please input location (at least country) in your profile, it helps us respond properly.

Sorry to hear about your ride. I had the same problem with the trim. I took the car because my wife likes it and drives it more than me.
I understand your frustration. btw, the color combo you chose sounds awesome!

Is there another dealer near you?

The 545 (based on member's posts) is definitely worth waiting for. I would order again.

Good luck.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:14 AM
Members

:'(
Old 11-25-2004, 09:17 AM
Senior Members

Welcome jet68. I guess from your spec and your mention of thanksgiving that you are in the US somewhere. Sorry to hear that your dealer is so incompetent and has spoilt your enjoyment of taking delivery. Have you tried contacting BMW NA to explain how long you have been waiting and ask for their help in pushing through a quick replacement?
Old 11-25-2004, 09:31 AM
Members

Yes, I'm in the US (California, Bay Area). No, I haven't contacted BMW NA to expedite a replacement, though the salesman has been calling in an attempt to get me to re-order. However, it's the second time this salesman has blown an order! A friend of mind specified a 545 for ED back in February and on the day he went to the dealer to review the final paperwork, it turned out the car had already been built but with the wrong transmission! That car was eventually re-built correctly

I did get a very good deal (3.75% over invoice) on the 545 I had ordered and walked away from. For that reason, I may consider getting another car from this same dealership. At the moment, I'm still mulling things over.

On a lark, I drove a Volvo S60R the other day. Interesting car. After 9 BMWs, part of me is thinking of doing something different. The 545 is a fantastic car and absolutely my first choice. I'm just undecided right now....
Old 11-25-2004, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JET68' date='Nov 25 2004, 11:31 AM
Yes, I'm in the US (California, Bay Area).? No, I haven't contacted BMW NA to expedite a replacement, though the salesman has been calling in an attempt to get me to re-order.? However, it's the second time this salesman has blown an order!? A friend of mind specified a 545 for ED back in February and on the day he went to the dealer to review the final paperwork, it turned out the car had already been built but with the wrong transmission!? That car was eventually re-built correctly

I did get a very good deal (3.75% over invoice) on the 545 I had ordered and walked away from.? For that reason, I may consider getting another car from this same dealership.? At the moment, I'm still mulling things over.

On a lark, I drove a Volvo S60R the other day.? Interesting car.? After 9 BMWs, part of me is thinking of doing something different.? The 545 is a fantastic car and absolutely my first choice.? I'm just undecided right now....
[snapback]60753[/snapback]
lemme guess - Allison?
Old 11-25-2004, 09:53 AM
Members

My Ride: (Expecting Oct. 2004) 2005 530i Sport package, premium sound package,premium package, xenon's, HUD, sat radio, cold weather package, navagation

I think you should reorder and add the HUD it's worth it, had a friend who drove nothing but BMW and went with a nother manufacturer 3 months later he was trading it in at a loss to get what he should have bought to begain with.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

Originally Posted by JET68' date='Nov 25 2004, 02:31 PM
Yes, I'm in the US (California, Bay Area).? No, I haven't contacted BMW NA to expedite a replacement, though the salesman has been calling in an attempt to get me to re-order.? However, it's the second time this salesman has blown an order!? A friend of mind specified a 545 for ED back in February and on the day he went to the dealer to review the final paperwork, it turned out the car had already been built but with the wrong transmission!? That car was eventually re-built correctly

I did get a very good deal (3.75% over invoice) on the 545 I had ordered and walked away from.? For that reason, I may consider getting another car from this same dealership.? At the moment, I'm still mulling things over.

On a lark, I drove a Volvo S60R the other day.? Interesting car.? After 9 BMWs, part of me is thinking of doing something different.? The 545 is a fantastic car and absolutely my first choice.? I'm just undecided right now....
[snapback]60753[/snapback]
Sorry to hear your story, I give you alot of credit for walking away the way you did,I'm not sure that I could have. The dealer is without a doubt the weakest link in getting a new car. They make you wait and wait and never ever tell the truth. I just got a 2004 left over (last one anywhere) 545i equipted very well. If I had orderd it I would have changed a few things, but I would not have gotten a deal anywhere as good as I got. Good Luck with your decision, and Happy ThanksGiving
Old 11-25-2004, 10:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Not sure what it's like in the US, but in the UK your friends will leave if you buy a Volvo.

Only buy a Volvo if you wear hats (and I don't mean baseball caps)
Old 11-25-2004, 10:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

You did the same thing that I would have done. Why take something less than what you ordered?

I would suggest adding HUD to your order. HUD is awesome.

Quick Reply: M5 to 545 to Zero