E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

M172 Replica vs OEM

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 02:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

You guys make it sound as though replicas will RUIN a car. I have 166 replicas and have had no problems whatsoever. I've heard that replicas can cause slight vibration on the e60 (I had vibration but it went away within 500 miles after re-torquing) but to say that it will RUIN your car is a huge assumption. I'd love to see some stats to back this up. Torque your lugs properly and I can't see this being a problem.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by wasupdu' post='475199' date='Sep 28 2007, 12:34 AM
You guys make it sound as though replicas will RUIN a car.

Thy don't RUIN your car... They LOOK OK, but they can ruin your LIFE!
I have seen many weird things on the Autobahn, when working on the towtruck. And I can honestly tell you, after 2.5 years of experience, replicas are life threatening!
Old 09-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

no need for all the sensationalism...if replicas were so dangerous and life threatening like some claim, there is no way they would continue being sold and would never be DOT TUV, or whatever else standards there are.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

They are!

I can get you T?V for cars that are trash and not worth any money.

Do you really wnat to trust in T?V and the words from companies that sell replicas when you have the word of someone who is seeing it every day?
I do see it every day with my own eyes!

BTW: Even Chinese cars get T?V. And everybody knows, even the Chinese car manufacturers!, that this cars are just trash and that they are life threatening!
PLUS: This has been proven by crash tests!

Chinese cars are nothing else than replicas...
Old 09-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Senior Members

Not all replicas are bad, do your research. Some forum members have had bad experiences with replicas, but there many people out there running them on all different makes and models, with no problems.

I had Lorinser LM5's on my last car, bent two wheels. My friend bought the exact same wheels, but replicas. He still hasn't had a problem to this day.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I got replica CSL wheels on my car. Zero problems and that's with them taking a decent beating on many of New York's finest roads! However, I keep my tire pressure at 40lbs all the way around. Should I hit something bad, I'd rather a tire blow than a wheel.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='475223' date='Sep 28 2007, 01:34 AM
Not all replicas are bad, do your research. Some forum members have had bad experiences with replicas, but there many people out there running them on all different makes and models, with no problems.

I had Lorinser LM5's on my last car, bent two wheels. My friend bought the exact same wheels, but replicas. He still hasn't had a problem to this day.
The thing is:

They look good, and everything is fine, but when something happens, an accident, the worst comes out!

ALL replicas are like that!

I have never ever seen a replica that is the same quality!

You can not talk about it until you know what happens when you are in an accident!

Point is: When you have an accident, replicas are a danger! For you and others!

As long as you are not experiencing accidents, everything is fine... True... But that doesn't make them safe.

You have my word.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='475240' date='Sep 27 2007, 04:49 PM
The thing is:

They look good, and everything is fine, but when something happens, an accident, the worst comes out!

ALL replicas are like that!

I have never ever seen a replica that is the same quality!
You can not talk about it until you know what happens when you are in an accident!
Point is: When you have an accident, replicas are a danger! For you and others!
As long as you are not experiencing accidents, everything is fine... True... But that doesn't make them safe.

You have my word.
I am not going to argue with you. Its just my belief there are quality wheel companies that copy a look/design and make a solid wheel. You just need to do the research on the wheels.

But as you said there are wheels out there that can cause problems, sometimes major problems.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Contributors

You get what you pay for, or rather you don't get what you don't pay for. Save up for the OEMs. Plus they are less expensive in the long run when you consider there is a good chance you will be unhappy with replicas, fool around rebalancing them, then sell the replicas at a loss, and then buy oem....

Many people have had a good experience with replicas but many have not. Not worth it IMO.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='475313' date='Sep 28 2007, 05:47 AM
You just need to do the research on the wheels.

But as you said there are wheels out there that can cause problems, sometimes major problems.
Research?
Isn't seeing it every day on the Autobahn enough research?

I have not seen a single replica that looked OK after an accident.

Believe it or not, replicas are NOT safe... when you have an accident. They brake in parts easier and into more parts than OEM's. Not just wheels, BTW. It's even worse with all those replica bumpers, side skirts, etc..

Quick Reply: M172 Replica vs OEM